Booking a HA cabin but not sure we'll need it..

maraena

Please, please don't shoot the messenger here. I am extremely sensitive to special needs and am an educator in the field. My mom and I are planning a Princess cruise to New England in the fall and I'm doing my darnedest to keep her particular situation in mind.

Background: Mom is in her mid-60s has taken several spills over the years resulting in knee issues, broken bones, etc. (She hasn't broken a hip but does have back problems stemming from an untreated perforated disk.) She is very sedentary and has difficulty walking more than a few blocks at a time. (I've visited with her doctor on a few occasions and he says much of her issues are due to obesity and a lack of exercise. She insists that she's in pain the day after exercise - could be soreness, could be injury. Problem is, she often overdoes it on the first day and pushes herself farther than she should.)

Our last vacation together was 5 years ago and involved a trip to Branson. She insisted she prepared for it (my dad said otherwise) but needed to rest about every 15-20 minutes for about 10-20 minutes. Hilly terrain was particularly problematic since she often was completely out of breath after even a small hill.

I'm prepared to rest often on this cruise for her but am also examining scooter and other mobility options much against her will. She doesn't wish to use a scooter and believes that we'll be walking very little despite a 2 day visit to NYC and ports of call at Boston, Newport, and Bar Harbor.

I'm planning to investigate scooter options for her, regardless of her feelings toward the matter. Most likely I'll rent one as a 'just in case you need it' option since it appears you can't wait until the day you actually need it to get one. (Am I right on this one?)

Questions:

1. I would like to book an HA cabin to accommodate any mode of transportation Mom might need. However, knowing that I get my stubbornness from both mother and father, I could see her completely bucking the scooter idea. Would it still be all right to book this cabin? (I anticipate her changing her mind and using an onboard wheelchair considering the sheer size of the ships and the number of ports.) She really doesn't need the flat bathroom floor but I do think she'd benefit - regardless of whether she's using a wheelchair or scooter - from having grab bars in the shower and near the toilet considering her impaired balance. (I'm actually highly concerned about the bathroom in the event of rough seas.)

2. How, on God's green earth, can I convince her that she may need to consider these transport options ahead of time? I'm doing all I can to have her build an exercise plan for this cruise (and, inadvertently, continued health) but I feel the need to be prepared to ensure her comfort, well-being, and independence on her first cruise.

I find myself reminiscing on how things have come full circle. My mom used to plan for my mobility needs - shorter legs, broken bones, etc. - and now I'm trying to do likewise for her. We've been trying to figure out a vacation plan for a couple of months now and I've had a hard time considering what she's wanting to see (natural sights in the US) and her mobility. Thankfully I talked her out of Yellowstone and into a cruise since I think the cruise will be much easier for her.

You are correct about the scooter. If she needs a scooter, then you will need to rent one in advance. There aren't any available on the ship for passenger use. And I would find a way to convince her to use one. Even without the port stops, there is a lot of walking involved on the ships. Unless she never plans to leave the cabin, she is going to have issues if the most she can walk is 2-3 blocks without needing to rest. And if she had troubles with Branson where there is limited walking except at Silver Dollar City or at the outlet malls, then she is going to have troubles on the ship, not to mention the ports.

Even onboard wheelchairs aren't readily available on most ships and usually are reserved for emergency situations.

You are correct about the scooter. If she needs a scooter, then you will need to rent one in advance. There aren't any available on the ship for passenger use. And I would find a way to convince her to use one. Even without the port stops, there is a lot of walking involved on the ships. Unless she never plans to leave the cabin, she is going to have issues if the most she can walk is 2-3 blocks without needing to rest. And if she had troubles with Branson where there is limited walking except at Silver Dollar City or at the outlet malls, then she is going to have troubles on the ship, not to mention the ports.

Even onboard wheelchairs aren't readily available on most ships and usually are reserved for emergency situations.

I'll definitely let her know. The walking was actually in Silver Dollar City and the hill near the Jim Stafford theater. She walked up the hill once when we were buying tickets but I had to drive her up the hill when we went to the show.

Our vacation was definitely pretty limited in Branson due to her health concerns. My godson and I had a great time but Mom seemed to spend much of the vacation on benches. Considering this trip is just she and I, I'm trying to avoid her spending it on various benches.

I'm hoping to get some input on our excursion ideas as well but I'm going to keep that in the New England thread areas. I think some of her ideas for excursions may be beyond her capabilities.

We have a similar issue with one of us -- 2 of us are able to do anything, and 1 of us has pretty restricted ability to get around. The 3 of us are doing the "trip of a lifetime" for the person with limited mobility, and as the date of the cruise approaches 2 of us are becoming more concerned with 1's ability to manage ANY exertion at all. 2 have decided to rent a wheelchair "just in case", and if we see that 1 is missing out on experiences because of her physical problems, we are going to suggest we "use the wheelchair, after all, we already have it".

Whatever the financial cost of renting a scooter, it will be cheap insurance for your mom's ability to enjoy her cruise.

As for the HA cabin, I'd say "go for it".... your mom likely needs the shower accessibility that they offer, at least some of the time. And as you say, the bathroom grab bars. Just because a person isn't in a wheelchair doesn't mean they aren't "handicapped". JMHO.

I think booking a HC cabin and scooter for your Mum would be a good idea.

try and get her to think how she feels and what she needs on a bad day, it is always better to hope for the best but plan for the worst.

This will be our first cruise and I an trying my best to plan for all eventualities. My hubby has good days and bad days, i am hoping for just good days but hoping I have covered everything for any bad ones.

It would be such a shame for your Mum to do too much, then miss out on the next few days recovering.

I hope you manage to convince her to let you help.

Boston is a small city and for most people very walkable however a lot of the sidewalks are cobblestone and even for the most able footed are difficult to navigate. Might be a problem for someone with mobility issues.

That being said, you might want to look into having a scooter accessible taxi cab waiting for you at the ports. Not sure how available they are?

http://*****/hub/Boston_Cab_Associations this might a helpful to start.

get the HC cabin and rent the scooter, if it is there she will use it, the ship is 1000ft long or so and there is a lot of standing around waiting for elevators meals whatever as well. also if the ship is rocking the scooter is not so you are not going to be falling trying to get around the ship.

You cannot use the on board chairs, they will use one to help you embark and or debark but that is all, otherwise they are kept for anything that happens on board that might need one and they are often in crummy shape as well.

Let your mom know that not using one means she will be impacting everyone elses trip.

You are getting good advise from others on this thread...the ships are big and there is a lot of standing...waiting for meals, elevators, getting on and off the ship etc. If you can get an accessible cabin,... get it...and if you can buy a used folding wheelchair it will save you money and you will have it for the airports prior to the cruise and after. Do not buy a transport chair...they have small wheels and are hard to push on the carpet on the ships, and your mother could not propel herself in this type of chair.

If you do not want to buy one I suggest you rent from Carevacations.com 1-877-478-7827 they rent wheelchairs, Electric scooter, etc. at every American port. They will ask your mom's height and weight so that they can get the right size equipment for her. They prefer you place an order at least 6 weeks before the cruise if possible. A wheelchair is much easier to handle in port..and they can be tendered if needed.

Another suggestion...if you plan on renting an electric scooter...have her practice on the grocery store mobility carts...it takes some getting used to, and its not good to start on the ship without some practice.

Make sure she knows she will not be alone in a chair or scooter on the ship...it is becoming very common as those of us with mobility issues find that cruising is the only way to travel.

hope you have a wonderful cruise.

Arlene

I have lots of leg and back pain and had almost given up on being in an exercise program. I found my answer in water aerobics (sometimes called aquaerobics). You do not need to be able to swim to participate. If you cannot swim you just stay in the shallower water. The moves do not hurt while you do them and while you may have a little next day soreness if you start slowly that is not a problem. This has really helped me build my tolerance to exercise.

Is she sensitive to seeing a picture of how things will be, or would she simply stick her head in the sand? I would go down memory lane with her, talking about previous things you've done together. Remember her of all of the benches, ask how that made her feel. Talk about stuff she might not do because of limited mobility, eventhough at heart she would've wanted to do them.

Confront her with the distance she'll need to walk on a daily base. Get the measurements of the ship and show them to her. Look mom; it's this long from our cabin to lunch. It's this long to the theater. It's this long to diner. And you'll have to get back also. Ring them all up; look mom this is how much distance you'll cross on board daily. You want to do excursion this or that? Let's go to Google Earth, and let us watch it online. See mom, it's that much distance to cover and back again. Plus the walking you'll need to do on board. You will be walking x-amount of miles during the length of the trip. Can you do that at home in the same amount of days and still have enough left in you to smell the roses and enjoy things?

About her overdoing it when exercising; it might be an idea to go to a physical therapist. They can help out finding her safe level to start out at. Not only that, but getting the thing about overdoing it explained by a professional (and them looking out for her not doing that!) has more effect than you telling her.

IMHO I would rent the scooter and HA cabin. Have these items available and tell her just that, they are there if she needs them and (sorry, tough love time) if she wants to keep up with you she might want to consider using them, but it is totally up to her. Then do a ships walking tour, at your slow pace limiting rests. The answer to this is one of two things, she will start using the scooter, or not. Either way you probably won't be the favorite daughter (for a very short while then you will be an angel). My DW is also very stubborn and in a similar situation and we would not think of traveling without a scooter available. Even if the scooter (~ $250 for the week) sits in the corner, the HA bath is worth it for those with mobility issues, as the size of the non-HA room bath is tiny at best. I truly wish you the best and hope the cruise turns out to be a joyus one and doesn't cause too much heartache. Cruises are supposed to be fun and even a learning experience.

All of the points the people are making are so TRUE!!! I use a scooter and a walker and it has given me the independence I am used to! I might add just one thing, We have found just getting off the ship and to the taxi can be an VERY long way! Tell her to make it easy on herself and enjoy the trip! Bon Voyage! Nancie

Thank you everyone for such great posts with some fabulous information. My entire goal of convincing Mom she needed a scooter was to maintain her independence and I'm glad to see that folks are giving first-hand testimony on scooters allowing them to do just that!

I did talk to Mom last night and I believe I've convinced her that a scooter may be in our best interests. I actually took another route rather than pointing out her own limitations. (There's a certain line you just can't cross in my family. Pointing those out would result in my father driving up to tell how the cow ate the cabbage, so to speak. It's just not something that I, even as an adult, am allowed to do and is viewed as highly disrespectful of my mother's status as, well, mother.)

So, I took another route. I have really bad ankles that swell rather consistently after high-impact activities. Walking distances over 5-8 miles, for me, is a high impact activity that just aggravates the arthritis I've had since 16 due to numerous bad breaks as a child and teen. Rather than putting the onus on Mom, I mentioned my ankles and how painful they can get during these events. (To be completely honest, they don't tend to stop me. I walk between 3-5 miles per day.) I told her that I was planning to rent a scooter just in case I needed it and that she was welcome to use it anytime. That way we could get our money's worth from the rental.

Well, that seemed to work! Mom was pretty into the idea of 'getting our money's worth' out of the scooter rental and said that she'd definitely use it for excursions and might even use it to putter around the ship if I wasn't needing it. She did admit that she might actually need to use it but also said that she wanted to do 'some' walking as well. Once she said that, I mentioned Branson and the long walks there and compared those to what I know of NYC and excursions. I believe it all settled in and she ended that part of the conversation with, "You are definitely right if it involves all that walking. I'll probably need to use that scooter, if you don't need it, that is." Suffice it to say, I won't 'need' it.

I'm surprised it worked so well but it did. Just had to take a less direct route and use her desire to ensure my comfort without addressing her own needs. I've never needed a scooter in the past so I sincerely doubt I'll need to use it. Just getting her to try out the idea was worth the effort.

I did go ahead and talk to her about continuing to prep for the walking and I'm working out a plan for her to build up to small distances. Mom doesn't typically like PTs since the exercises they 'make' her do cause pain. (I'm honestly not sure that she can tell the difference between pain and muscle soreness most days.) My parents have always respected my opinion on such things, particularly now that I'm finishing up a PhD - which, oddly enough, they associate with being an MD despite my explanations. I'll just vet it through a PT friend.

As for someone mentioning that I may not be her favorite daughter for a bit, she doesn't really have much choice in the matter. I'm her only daughter and only child, for that matter. If I'm in trouble, I'll hear from dad but so far I haven't.

Again, thank you for all the help. Hopefully we're able to swing a HA cabin. I'll just have to find a way to explain to her why we were assigned one. The idea that either she or I are handicapped would be a difficult one for her to swallow. She has a rather narrow view of what that means despite my best efforts.

I have lots of leg and back pain and had almost given up on being in an exercise program. I found my answer in water aerobics (sometimes called aquaerobics). You do not need to be able to swim to participate. If you cannot swim you just stay in the shallower water. The moves do not hurt while you do them and while you may have a little next day soreness if you start slowly that is not a problem. This has really helped me build my tolerance to exercise.

I suggested this for her, actually. I swim when I can't do other exercise because of the impact. She used to enjoy these but can't really be convinced to get out of the house to do them. She also cites the 'high' cost of them ($30 does not equal high cost) compared to when she used to take them in the 80s.

It's hard to convince her sometimes. If I were living closer, I would be better able since I'd just sign her up with me and we'd go.

We have a similar issue with one of us -- 2 of us are able to do anything, and 1 of us has pretty restricted ability to get around. The 3 of us are doing the "trip of a lifetime" for the person with limited mobility, and as the date of the cruise approaches 2 of us are becoming more concerned with 1's ability to manage ANY exertion at all. 2 have decided to rent a wheelchair "just in case", and if we see that 1 is missing out on experiences because of her physical problems, we are going to suggest we "use the wheelchair, after all, we already have it".

Whatever the financial cost of renting a scooter, it will be cheap insurance for your mom's ability to enjoy her cruise.

As for the HA cabin, I'd say "go for it".... your mom likely needs the shower accessibility that they offer, at least some of the time. And as you say, the bathroom grab bars. Just because a person isn't in a wheelchair doesn't mean they aren't "handicapped". JMHO.

Thank you for this. I am just always so fearful from taking from someone who may need the accessibility more. I think the idea that I might take a room from someone with no mobility for someone who has limited mobility was bothering me on many levels. I think I spent about an hour yesterday scouring shower pictures from the ship to see if non-HA rooms had grab bars.

Thank you for this. I am just always so fearful from taking from someone who may need the accessibility more. I think the idea that I might take a room from someone with no mobility for someone who has limited mobility was bothering me on many levels. I think I spent about an hour yesterday scouring shower pictures from the ship to see if non-HA rooms had grab bars.

There will always be the possibility that someone "who may need the accessibility more". Your mother has accessibility needs that are best met in an accessible room, so stop worrying about that and spend time figuring out how to get her to use what you're going to be making available! And have a great trip!

Again, thank you for all the help. Hopefully we're able to swing a HA cabin. I'll just have to find a way to explain to her why we were assigned one. The idea that either she or I are handicapped would be a difficult one for her to swallow. She has a rather narrow view of what that means despite my best efforts.

Now that you've gotten her to agree to the scooter, explain to her that a scooter won't fit through the door of a regular cabin and that is why you were assigned a HA cabin. Just say that the cruiseline required it.

Oof, one more question. Is there any way to see which HA rooms are available on Princess's site or do they keep those hidden so they're not inadvertently booked?

Edit note: I looked at their deckplans but it seems that they use an empty circle to denote HA rooms. Oddly enough, I can't find any room with an empty circle. The only thing I can figure is that all rooms are HA unless otherwise noted? Very, very confusing!

Please, please don't shoot the messenger here. I am extremely sensitive to special needs and am an educator in the field. My mom and I are planning a Princess cruise to New England in the fall and I'm doing my darnedest to keep her particular situation in mind.

Background: Mom is in her mid-60s has taken several spills over the years resulting in knee issues, broken bones, etc. (She hasn't broken a hip but does have back problems stemming from an untreated perforated disk.) She is very sedentary and has difficulty walking more than a few blocks at a time. (I've visited with her doctor on a few occasions and he says much of her issues are due to obesity and a lack of exercise. She insists that she's in pain the day after exercise - could be soreness, could be injury. Problem is, she often overdoes it on the first day and pushes herself farther than she should.)

Our last vacation together was 5 years ago and involved a trip to Branson. She insisted she prepared for it (my dad said otherwise) but needed to rest about every 15-20 minutes for about 10-20 minutes. Hilly terrain was particularly problematic since she often was completely out of breath after even a small hill.

I'm prepared to rest often on this cruise for her but am also examining scooter and other mobility options much against her will. She doesn't wish to use a scooter and believes that we'll be walking very little despite a 2 day visit to NYC and ports of call at Boston, Newport, and Bar Harbor.

I'm planning to investigate scooter options for her, regardless of her feelings toward the matter. Most likely I'll rent one as a 'just in case you need it' option since it appears you can't wait until the day you actually need it to get one. (Am I right on this one?)

Questions:

1. I would like to book an HA cabin to accommodate any mode of transportation Mom might need. However, knowing that I get my stubbornness from both mother and father, I could see her completely bucking the scooter idea. Would it still be all right to book this cabin? (I anticipate her changing her mind and using an onboard wheelchair considering the sheer size of the ships and the number of ports.) She really doesn't need the flat bathroom floor but I do think she'd benefit - regardless of whether she's using a wheelchair or scooter - from having grab bars in the shower and near the toilet considering her impaired balance. (I'm actually highly concerned about the bathroom in the event of rough seas.)

2. How, on God's green earth, can I convince her that she may need to consider these transport options ahead of time? I'm doing all I can to have her build an exercise plan for this cruise (and, inadvertently, continued health) but I feel the need to be prepared to ensure her comfort, well-being, and independence on her first cruise.

I find myself reminiscing on how things have come full circle. My mom used to plan for my mobility needs - shorter legs, broken bones, etc. - and now I'm trying to do likewise for her. We've been trying to figure out a vacation plan for a couple of months now and I've had a hard time considering what she's wanting to see (natural sights in the US) and her mobility. Thankfully I talked her out of Yellowstone and into a cruise since I think the cruise will be much easier for her.

I'm in the same boat, so to speak. After fighting it for several years with the rollator with a seat, I am renting a scooter for the first time. Try having her ride a scooter in the grocery store or Target and let her see what a wonderful option it will be for her.

To answer your question about the accessible cabins...you cannot tell from the web site if any are available...your TA can call and check for you. All the little circle shows is that the cabin is accessible, not if its occupied.

As I need an accessible cabin ( I am an amputee) I find I have to book 9 months -1 year in advance for a cruise...I either book on the ship for the next year, or as soon as I know if I want to go on another cruise. We just returned from a cruise in Feb, and the ship we want for Feb. 2010 already had several accessible cabins booked in the catagory we wanted, so we are booked too. Most of the ships have so few accessible cabins that they go quickly. It has been impossilbe for me to book last minute. I also prefer to think about the cruise for a while...planning is half the fun.

I guess they understand that I need such a cabin when my TA tells them I use a wheelchair and a scooter to get around the ship as I have never been questioned by them.

Your mother will be happy with the extra room for her and the scooter...and you will enjoy her having such a wonderful vacation.

Everyone has given you excellent advice and I will only add one thing.

At home I use canes or a walker but on the ship the scooter and HC are a blessing, especially on the longer ships where walking takes forever, no matter which elevator you are close to. The rails in the bathroom will be useful to you both, and even my ab DD likes the pull down shower seat for shaving her legs.

Have a wondereful trip and please let us know how it goes.

Go ahead and rent the scooter for her along with the HC stateroom, she will thank you for it. I have a son who is in a wheelchair type stroller, so we always get a HC room when we cruise, it is so much easier for us especially since I have to take alot of medical supplies with us. Your mom will soon find out that there is alot of walking involve to get from one end of the ship to the other and also from one deck to another, even with elevators. Good Luck, hope everything turns out right for you.

To answer your question about the accessible cabins...you cannot tell from the web site if any are available...your TA can call and check for you. All the little circle shows is that the cabin is accessible, not if its occupied.

As I need an accessible cabin ( I am an amputee) I find I have to book 9 months -1 year in advance for a cruise...I either book on the ship for the next year, or as soon as I know if I want to go on another cruise. We just returned from a cruise in Feb, and the ship we want for Feb. 2010 already had several accessible cabins booked in the catagory we wanted, so we are booked too. Most of the ships have so few accessible cabins that they go quickly. It has been impossilbe for me to book last minute. I also prefer to think about the cruise for a while...planning is half the fun.

I guess they understand that I need such a cabin when my TA tells them I use a wheelchair and a scooter to get around the ship as I have never been questioned by them.

Your mother will be happy with the extra room for her and the scooter...and you will enjoy her having such a wonderful vacation.

I agree.

Also, when you book a cabin, they will send you some papers that need to be filled out and sent back to them. They only want information about the size of the scooter and things like that. I do not believe that any of the cruise lines ask for a letter from a Dr. verifying a disability, but I honestly think it will come to that in the future, since so many able bodied people book them just so they can have a larger room at no additional cost.

I forgot to ask, when are you going on your cruise?

Archived