Currency for Baltic Cruise

javafriend

We are on the Jewel on Jun 15th for 12 night Baltic Cruise. My question is what is my best option for getting the various currency we will need for the different countries--British pounds, Euro, Rubles, Kroons. Can I exchange money on the ship? Is it better to use ATM's? Can I cash travelers checks at the purser's desk? I appreciate any help or ideas. This will be our first cruise on Norwegian, and we are definitely looking forward to it.

Lisa

Hi, we were on the Jewel last June...wonderful trip! We got currency for all the countries from AAA (even Russian and Estonia). Everypalce we visited accepted US currency, but it was not wise to pay in $. We were in an ice cream shop (I think it was Stockholm), the couple ahead of us paid in US dollars and we paid in KR, when we thought about it, I think they paid almost double! Have a wonderful trip...

We went last year- great trip, you will have a wonderful time!! Before leaving we got some pounds for a couple of days in London and Euros. You can use your credit card almost anywhere or debit card to get cash from ATM's. This was something I really worried about before leaving and it ended up being a non-issue.

Lat summer we cruised the Baltic on another line. We did a mixed bag of money exchanges. ATMs, local currency exchanges and on board. The exchange rates were not significantly different between the various means. We might have saved some if we had gotten the currency in the states, but the inconvenience of carrying that much cash, and exchanging any excess local currency, outweighed the potential savings. The purser office will accept traveler's checks.

Archived