A couple of days in Anchorage

Leigh-Anne V

We have about a day and half in Anchorage at the end of August and were trying to figure out what to do .. we fly in on the Thursday (mind you we are flying from Ontario that day so might not be doing much more than dinner!) and we don't sail until Saturday from Whittier. Not sure if we are renting a car or not ... but what's not to miss? We are sailing one way to Vancouver so we won't be back in Anchorage

thanks! :)

Leigh-Anne

We have about a day and half in Anchorage at the end of August and were trying to figure out what to do .. we fly in on the Thursday (mind you we are flying from Ontario that day so might not be doing much more than dinner!) and we don't sail until Saturday from Whittier. Not sure if we are renting a car or not ... but what's not to miss? We are sailing one way to Vancouver so we won't be back in Anchorage

thanks! :)

Leigh-Anne

Hi - our Alaska State Fair is the last week of August in Palmer and a train will run back/forth- perhaps that may be of interest. Check out the Anchorage calendar http://www.anchorage.net/

There is plenty to see and do. If you stay in Anchorage, consider the train to Whittier, then taking a Prince William Sound boat tour. FAR superior for excellent glacier viewing compared to anything seen from your cruiseship. Don't be in a rush to get on your ship. :)

If of interest in getting a one way rental car- yes costly, BUT could allow you a visit to Seward, and making plenty of your short time?? With an overnight there, you would have a lot of options. Exit Glacier, Kenai Fjords boat tours- my top choice, Seavey's Sled dogs, Godwin's Helicopter tours. PLUS the very scenic drive there, best with an early start.

Leaving Seward, around 3pm, would have you through the 5:30pm tunnel. Leave earlier if Portage Glacier Visitor Center is of interest??

I know you said end of Aug but what date do you get into Anchorage? We will be there from Aug 15th to 18th and then taking PJS tours van to Seward with all day sightseeing along the way. My husband and I are the only ones going. Let us know what days you are in town.

Vicki

Archived