Mariner makes a great addition to west coast cruising!

I just returned from this cruise Sunday the 12th as well. It was a god time and even though as the captain said (Per Kristofferson) there was just over 1,000 kids on board from 6 months to 17 years, they were pretty much well behaved with no problems. (accept the first night when we were awoken at 3:45 am and again at 5am to a missing passenger call (teen), they found him the next morning at 6am crashed in a friends room, never calling the folks to tell him his whereabouts). That was kinda scary!

The ship looked fantastic and the crew and guest relations were awesome.

It was rough seas on the way back to San Pedro, but expected.

Any questions let me know, OP pretty much covered a lot :)

To the OP, it's nice to read good comments. We'll be celebrating Christmas this year on Mariner and look forward to it :)

Thanks! Mariner is looking really good especially since it was just in dry dock. I am sure you'll have fun.

How do the ports compare to the Caribbean? We've done the Western and really loved the Mariner, but fear we may be disappointed with Mexico. What did you think?

In general I like the Caribbean over Western Mexico as the water is a bit warmer and clearer. The ports in Mexico are about the same as in the Caribbean to me. We found plenty of fun things to do on this trip - sailing, mountain biking, and zip lining. The shopping is somewhat comparable to me. I would even give a slight nod to Mexico in this regard. Cultural opportunities are limited from my view in either location with again the preference going to Mexico.

How was Spring Break? Crazy college students? Also, did you get any price drops before you went? We're thinking of March 28th of 2010.

It was very tame. I did here some older kids talk about sneaking alcohol onto the ship but by in large everyone was very well behaved. The RCCL staff was very strict in enforcing the 1:00AM curfew.

Missed this.

I would like to know about time changes. Did you ever set the clocks ahead or back and were you always on the same time as the ports you visited? I imagine Puerto Vallarta was one hour ahead of ship time ...

The ship changed time - one hour ahead - on the first night and stayed on this time until the last night. This worked out very well as you got an extra hour of sleep on the last night. You are correct, when the ship was in PV we were one hour behind the local time.

We were on the April 5 sailing and we never had to show our driver's license or any other ID except for our Sea Pass. They said to bring ID if you should need it for purchases in Mexico or if for some reason you needed it for an emergency, etc.

We had to show our driver's licenses in Mazatlan and PV as well as the seapass.

Most, if not all college students were back at school. This was primarily was the week-long Spring break for school kids other than college. It's usually right before or after Easter, depending when Easter Sunday is.

How do the ports compare to the Caribbean? We've done the Western and really loved the Mariner, but fear we may be disappointed with Mexico. What did you think?

How was Spring Break? Crazy college students? Also, did you get any price drops before you went? We're thinking of March 28th of 2010.

We were on the April 5 sailing and we never had to show our driver's license or any other ID except for our Sea Pass. They said to bring ID if you should need it for purchases in Mexico or if for some reason you needed it for an emergency, etc.

We have always had with us a photo ID when touring the islands. It does not actually have to be a drivers license. We usually bring along our Military ID's, as in any international squabble, they would carry more weight then a drivers license.

We will be on Mariner next February, have ressies at the Crowne Plaza in San Pedro for two days pre-cruise. Comments from anyone that has stayed at CP or elsewhere in San Pedro pre-cruise? Dining, touring, etc.? Have you been on the red trolley that runs along the waterfront, or visited Port O'Call?

Rick and Deirdra

We're sailing the Mariner on 11/01/09. I know the Pacific is not as warm as the Caribbean, but will the water still be warmer, especially in the three Mexican ports? I just spent a week in San Diego and was surprised that the temps were still pretty chilly (60s).

We wanted to try this itinerary as we were getting tired of some of Caribbean ports. I'm hoping we don't regret the decision!

Hi Jennifer!

I have to agree about the food, particularly vs. Princess. That also includes the Windjammer buffet. Princess' Horizon Court 24 hour buffet beats them hands down.

We had a Promenade cabin close to you and since I never went to bed before 1-2:30 am, I never heard the parades from our cabin. We were always down in the middle of them! ;)

The first thing I did was request foam eggcrate mattress pads, as well as feather pillows. Since my daughter didn't want a pad, our steward folded two in half and put them on my side. We kept our beds together to give us a wee bit more space in the room. My side was up a little higher, but the foam pads don't cover both beds or else we would have just had them spread out across. I wouldn't have been able sleep without those pillows and pads.

We also had a great time, although we didn't take advantage of the rock climbing wall,skating, etc.

One thing I missed was having more connection with the sea from the inside. While the Royal Promenade was more fun at night, during the day I prefer a promenade deck that has windows where you can look out at the ocean and sky, as well as being able to walk out on the teak walk-around promenade deck.

One of these days we'll try the Caribbean. I've only been to Mexico, but I've heard about the water, etc.in comparison. But we always just go the "budget route", which for us is a straight shot down Mexico way. ;)

We just got off the Mariner as well. Had a really nice cruise. Service was great. We did traditional dining and we had a fantastic serving team. Food was so-so. My dh and I ordered the Filet Minon ($14.95 one) in the dining room and it was rather inedible. Thankfully they didn't charge us.

My kids really didn't care for the kids clubs. They were boring and didn't do most of the posted activities.

WE did not like the ports at all. If we were to do this itin again, we would not get off the ship. The ports in the Caribbean are far prettier and nicer so that is what we will choose in the future.

Some on this board have asked about the promenade cabin and the noise level. They are noisy on party and parade nights. We were awoken by the bass beat of the first parade at 11:15 at night. Not pleased with that, but otherwise the cabins are comfortable. Horrible hard beds though.

Overall we had a very good experience and can't wait to cruise with RCCL again.

OP~ Sorry if I hijacked your thread.:o

Just got off the Mariner for a spring break cruise with the family. The ship, recently out of dry dock, looks great. Ken Rush is the cruise director until he moves on to the Oasis. They just started a new late night comedy series in Ellington's lounge which was pretty good.

What a great upgrade in service as compared to the Vision! It really is amazing how the ship can make such a difference. Our previous cruise on Vision was our least favorite cruise by far.

Thanks RCCL for bringing Mariner to the west coast! Hopefully we'll start seeing Radiance class ships in Asia before too long.

We've enjoy her over here for years. Glad you West coasters are finally getting the chance to enjoy a Voyager class ship on the left coast too. We'll miss her over here but I hope she stays there for many successful years to come.:)

And yes, a Radiance class in the South Pacific/Asia would be great!

We've stayed at both the Crowne and Doubletree--(Hilton-owned.) I like the Doubletree because it has free parking for the duration of your cruise, and of course, the free shuttle to and from the port and to restaurants, etc. It's also in a pretty location on the marina.

We have always had with us a photo ID when touring the islands. It does not actually have to be a drivers license. We usually bring along our Military ID's, as in any international squabble, they would carry more weight then a drivers license.

We will be on Mariner next February, have ressies at the Crowne Plaza in San Pedro for two days pre-cruise. Comments from anyone that has stayed at CP or elsewhere in San Pedro pre-cruise? Dining, touring, etc.? Have you been on the red trolley that runs along the waterfront, or visited Port O'Call?

Rick and Deirdra

... but will the water still be warmer, especially in the three Mexican ports? I just spent a week in San Diego and was surprised that the temps were still pretty chilly (60s).

Yes, the water gets warmer as you move south. It seemed like the water in April was about the same as San Diego in the peak of the summer - low 70's.

And yes, a Radiance class in the South Pacific/Asia would be great!

We'll just need to follow the schedule and see what shakes out. I did talk to the C&A rep on Mariner and she indicated that they are starting to build out the local market starting with 3 & 4 day cruises out of Singapore.

I wish one of the lines would do RT to Hawaii during the summer. Our family would gladly save for one of these 14 or 15 night voyages but it has to be when school is out. Also, in early August. I think I would prefer Princess because of their better food and fresh water heated pools. Also their pool with retractable roof for cooler sea days. They can spare one ship from Alaska, don't you think? I would also enjoy a Radiance class ship.

Having yet to sail the Mariner but do have a cruise soon on her, it would be nice if we could get additional itneraries other then Mexico. Now Hawaii RT would be nice, did that on the Radiance this past Oct.

The Mariner does make a great addition to west coast cruising. :)

I miss the Monarch and the Vision, but the Mariner does offer more onboard. I really enjoy Chops, Portofino and the CL. :)

Although my favorite class of ship is the Radiance, I am grateful we have the Mariner on the left coast. :)

GoodasGold, the food on our Hawaii Cruise was fabulous. overall this was the most oustanding cruises we have been on, but I will add, we have only been on 4 total cruises, # 2 with Princess & # 2 with RCL, the Brilliance and Radiance of the seas. Even though one cruise may not have as good as food as another line, doesn't reflect the intire line, just the cooks on that cruise, therefore I don't judge one cruise line over another when it comes to food. I base my opinion on a cruise by the service I received.

Archived