Point me to good food

SWEETPEA09

We will be in Ft Lauderdale Apr 18, staying at the Westin hotel on corp dr. Where should we go to eat? Where do the locals eat? I would rather take a cab for good food even if it is a little further away. Looking for moderate price, atmosphere would be a bonus. Type of food--You tell me:rolleyes: We have never been to Florida before and like everything.:)

Thanks in advance.

I'm glad that you asked. Most of the cruisers stay in the south part of Fort Lauderdale, so they are more familiar with that area. That could be some hefty cab fare for you. We live in North Fort Lauderdale.

When we want moderately priced great food and a nice atmosphere, we usually go to Thai/Sushi restaurants. There are 2 within 3-4 miles of your hotel which are local favorites: TeeJay Thai/Sushi on N. Federal Hwy in Imperial Square (I love the cashew stir fry and the grilled chicken with 3 sauces), and Thai Spice on E. Commercial Blvd (I love the Dreaming Chicken and the Skirt Steak).

Another great place to go for atmosphere is Lauderdale by the Sea, at the end of Commercial Blvd. at the beach. It's about 6 miles from your hotel. It's about 50/50 tourists and locals. There is Aruba on the beach, Village Grill, and Taverna Athena. All have indoor/outdoor seating. I've also been to 101 Ocean a few times, which looks nice but the food isn't good IMO and in the opinion of the 4 other people I've gone with. Kilwin's has great homemade ice cream, chocolates, and fudge for dessert.

Bear in mind that the local idea of moderate prices may not be your idea of moderate, so you might want to check out the websites for prices. If you want inexpensive in the area, you can get great pizza at Anthony's Coal Fired, Sicilian Oven (Light House Point), and Umberto's. They all also have some other dishes. The places near your hotel are mostly chains, a diner, bars, and a South American restaurant.

I still swear by Tropical Acres, and the stand up pizza joint on Hollywood Beach. My other favorites are Kingshead Pub in Dania Beach, Lester's Diner, Old Heidleberg, Little Red's Diner.

I still swear by Tropical Acres, and the stand up pizza joint on Hollywood Beach. My other favorites are Kingshead Pub in Dania Beach, Lester's Diner, Old Heidleberg, Little Red's Diner.

The OP is staying in North Fort Lauderdale (about 14 miles north of the airport) and will not have a car. They may not want to spend $100 for round trip cab fare to go to a restaurant in Dania/Hollywood.

We will be in Ft Lauderdale Apr 18, staying at the Westin hotel on corp dr. Where should we go to eat? Where do the locals eat?

As you may be figuring out, you are staying about as far away from the interesting places in Ft. Lauderdale as possible. Your hotel is a great place for conventions and business meetings where people never leave the hotel; I've done several business things there, and liked it very much, but I think you're looking for something different. If you can change your reservation, I would strongly suggest you do so.

The hotel was chosen by the cruise line when we booked a Holland America package. This will be our 1st cruise (although others in our group are experience cruisers). I understand now why so many comments are made about booking your own hotel. Thank you everyone for all the help. I'm sure for one night we will manage just fine. (and I know better for next time:rolleyes:) We do have transfers from the airport to hotel and then hotel to ship-already paid for (I'm sure too much) Oh well live and learn!LOL :)

I'm glad that you asked. Most of the cruisers stay in the south part of Fort Lauderdale, so they are more familiar with that area. That could be some hefty cab fare for you. We live in North Fort Lauderdale.

When we want moderately priced great food and a nice atmosphere, we usually go to Thai/Sushi restaurants. There are 2 within 3-4 miles of your hotel which are local favorites: TeeJay Thai/Sushi on N. Federal Hwy in Imperial Square (I love the cashew stir fry and the grilled chicken with 3 sauces), and Thai Spice on E. Commercial Blvd (I love the Dreaming Chicken and the Skirt Steak).

Another great place to go for atmosphere is Lauderdale by the Sea, at the end of Commercial Blvd. at the beach. It's about 6 miles from your hotel. It's about 50/50 tourists and locals. There is Aruba on the beach, Village Grill, and Taverna Athena. All have indoor/outdoor seating. I've also been to 101 Ocean a few times, which looks nice but the food isn't good IMO and in the opinion of the 4 other people I've gone with. Kilwin's has great homemade ice cream, chocolates, and fudge for dessert.

Bear in mind that the local idea of moderate prices may not be your idea of moderate, so you might want to check out the websites for prices. If you want inexpensive in the area, you can get great pizza at Anthony's Coal Fired, Sicilian Oven (Light House Point), and Umberto's. They all also have some other dishes. The places near your hotel are mostly chains, a diner, bars, and a South American restaurant.

Hello Royalcruz,

Instead of starting a new thread, I thought I would just ask here about places to eat around our hotel...the Embassy Suites at 1100 SE 17th St. I see you are from the area and know a lot about restaurants. We would be looking for pricing in the $20 - $25 range per person at a seafood place (no chain). If we are coming to FL, we want seafood !! And we will be there in a few days....no car, so either have to walk or taxi. WE were hoping for a nice place on the ocean with a view...if it is not to far.

Thanks

Hello Royalcruz,

Instead of starting a new thread, I thought I would just ask here about places to eat around our hotel...the Embassy Suites at 1100 SE 17th St. I see you are from the area and know a lot about restaurants. We would be looking for pricing in the $20 - $25 range per person at a seafood place (no chain). If we are coming to FL, we want seafood !! And we will be there in a few days....no car, so either have to walk or taxi. WE were hoping for a nice place on the ocean with a view...if it is not to far.

Thanks

Might as well add another location for RoyalCruz. Anything nice within walking distance near:

Hollywood Beach Marriott

2501 North Ocean Drive

Hollywood, FL 33019 USA

Jimbo:)

Hello Royalcruz,

Thanks

On the ocean, try 3030 Ocean or H20. I don't think that you will want to walk to the ocean from your hotel, but a cab ride would only be about $10-15. If you want to walk to a waterfront restaurant, try 15th St. Fisheries or Bimini Boatyard.

Might as well add another location for RoyalCruz. Anything nice within walking distance near:

Hollywood Beach Marriott

2501 North Ocean Drive

Hollywood, FL 33019 USA

Jimbo:)

Sorry I don't go to Hollywood Beach or Hollywood. We have too many great choices in Fort Lauderdale.

On the ocean, try 3030 Ocean or H20. I don't think that you will want to walk to the ocean from your hotel, but a cab ride would only be about $10-15. If you want to walk to a waterfront restaurant, try 15th St. Fisheries or Bimini Boatyard.

Thanks for your help....I will check them out.

Archived