Trivia-Fun or Cut Throat

Penguins Lover

One day we were correcting our answers and this passenger wanted the answer to be James Bond, but the song was from Goldfinger and the staff member said either one,

Some of us do take Trivia more seriously than others.

As in most games, points are given if you can score higher than other teams.

If a team is rewarded for being wrong just as the team who gets the answer right, what is the purpose of keeping score?

Was the song that was played actually the James Bond Theme or the theme from Goldfinger. If a team would have guessed the theme from any other James Bond movie like Diamonds are Forever, would they then also be right?

What was the right answer?

How should a team react if the competition is affected by wrong answers being marked correctly just as the correct ones?

Can a person not challenge the activity staff because he/she is accepting an answer that is wrong?

Is it right for a team to demand a point even if the answer is not correct?

Who is in the wrong: the person that asks for points to be given only if the answer is right or the person that gets upset because another team demands that their answer is the correct one?

Trivia games are fun if I win because I knew the most correct answers or lose because someone knew more correct answers than I did.

That is why I enjoy trivia games, such as "name that tune" trivia, at sea when the host knows the real correct answers and dislike the typical trivia games at sea where the host goes strictly by the answers on an answer sheet in spite of the fact that those answer sheets are filled with mistakes and frequently have only one of two equally correct answers.

I also find it humorous when people win because they play trivia so often they have memorized all the answers on those answers sheets, even though some of their answers are actually wrong, while passengers who are experts in a particular field lose because even though they knew the real answer the host goes solely by the answer sheet that has a mistake.

We love to play! We love to meet new people! We love to win...and we love to lose! Have done both!!!

Name that Tune is fun because my DH is awesome when it comes to the music of the 50's! And he has such fun playing the game! It is wonderful to see him enjoy himself and others admire his knowledge!

It's funny...sometimes we play each game on a cruise...and sometimes we don't play at all...depends on the "mood" of the players ..nasty ..we pass..fun we play! For us..it's all about the interaction with our teams! LuAnn

I just returned from a 14 day TA on Navigator of the seas & what I saw going on regarding the trivia's I steered clear & it's a shame that I did due to the behavior of some of the guests. MHO is that all prior notes regarding trivia from previous cruises should be banned. This way eveyone has an equal & fighting chance. What happen to relying on brain power & not cheat sheets?

Some of us do take Trivia more seriously than others.

As in most games, points are given if you can score higher than other teams.

If a team is rewarded for being wrong just as the team who gets the answer right, what is the purpose of keeping score?

Was the song that was played actually the James Bond Theme or the theme from Goldfinger. If a team would have guessed the theme from any other James Bond movie like Diamonds are Forever, would they then also be right?

What was the right answer?

How should a team react if the competition is affected by wrong answers being marked correctly just as the correct ones?

Can a person not challenge the activity staff because he/she is accepting an answer that is wrong?

Is it right for a team to demand a point even if the answer is not correct?

Who is in the wrong: the person that asks for points to be given only if the answer is right or the person that gets upset because another team demands that their answer is the correct one?

I guess you just had to be there to totally understand the goings on. Yes, right is right, but there is a way to handle situations, and this man was totally obnoxious during trivia for the entire two weeks. And, BTW, no one took a point who didn't have the correct answer, because Mr Know It All made everyone feel totally uncomfortable. You know it's bad when people stop showing up for the games. I guess I would like to ask you this: How would you feel if someone got in your face, stuck his finger straight at you and became verbally confrontational? The OP of this thread used the music trivia as an example of how boorish this person was during trivia. Regardless if you take your trivia seriously or not, boorish, confrontational behavior is not acceptable. And I still feel that behaving in a nasty manner, when the prize is basically nothing, should not be happening during an activity that's meant to be fun. If this were a real contest where the prize was substantial, then you may have a point about right being right, but like everyone says, it's for fun, darn it !!! But I guess when ego gets in the way, even an aluminum luggage tag is equivalent to winning $250,000 on Jeopardy. The world is made up of all kinds, and we all just have to make do.

We recently returned from a Celebrity cruise and we were amazed by how nasty some people get during trivia. We found that one guy, who's very well known by the crew as he's a very frequent cruiser, keeps all his answer sheets from previous cruises in a binder, and brings them to every trivia game. Sheesh, is it that important to win a pen that you have to cheat that way? We stopped going to trivia because of this guy. So OP, I can understand your questions. I feel sorry for anyone who has to take their trivia GAMES so seriously.

It seems like it'd be easier just to memorize the answers and HEY, he could actually learn something.

Personally, I'm very stingy with my packing, and I wouldn't take up the extra room for a Trivia Notebook!

Felicia

A funny I'll share - on our Alaska cruise DH and I played trivia several times and ended up with a couple of Celebrity pens. I used one a few weeks after the cruise and commented to him that I was using a '$6,000 pen', then corrected myself - since we'd won 2, it was only a '$3,000 pen' !

We were on the Infinity March 15th cruise and really enjoyed trivia with Ryan and Matt. I agree some people are very competitive about it. Our tablemates talked us into going and we had great fun....mostly cause we'd laugh at ourselves not knowing the answer and making up something ridiculous. Or, when we did have an answer one of our teammates would say it out loud....oh well......all in fun! Some of the other teams were way too serious about it.

Trivia is way more fun w/ a drink in your hand.

OK, I admit it, I get serious about trivia. Not to the point of dropping my trousers (you know who you are...), but you always need more celebrity luggage tags. They're the ONLY luggage tags that have never been ripped from my luggage, just need one more for my new carryon.....

Trivia is way more fun w/ a drink in your hand.

OK, I admit it, I get serious about trivia. Not to the point of dropping my trousers (you know who you are...), but you always need more celebrity luggage tags. They're the ONLY luggage tags that have never been ripped from my luggage, just need one more for my new carryon.....

You should have seen him in March on Azamara's Battle of the Sexes..he dressed up as a pregnant Eve...what that man won't do for a luggage tag! :eek: Hope you are well! LuAnn

While my family loves cruising and loves the group games, we don't get all serious about it. Cruising is about relaxing with a refreshing beverage and having a good time. There is very little that is enjoyable about raising my blood pressure getting seriously competitive.

A few years ago we participated in a "Family Feud" game (guessing most-popular answers to questions) where five of our party competed against another family. There was a bit of good-natured smack-talk between the two teams ("You're going down!" "Oh no you di'int!") before we started and they *wiped the floor with us*. It was laughably bad. By the end of the game the entire room was rolling, including the staff member leading the game, because our entire team was just blanking out and throwing out any answers we could think of, mostly for comedic effect. At the end of the game, the staffer tried to give our team a consolation prize, which we refused because (A) we already had the lanyards and (B) we joked that we hardly deserved any sort of prize. The winning team bought us a round of the drink of the day for making their day fun.

To me, that was the best game I've ever played on a cruise, even though we lost by about 400 points. :) That's what it should be about, win or lose.

We love to play trivia on cruises, but play for fun. If we win, great, but if not, it is just entertainment. The worst I ever saw was on Summit a few years ago with Battle of the Sexes. A 10-day cruise, so the score kept going all week. There was a lady who got upset if we discussed possible answers because she was afraid the men would hear and steal our answer. She showed up every day. It was hard to avoid her. Our family still talks about that lady, and this was several years ago. We always have a good laugh about it.

Mary

:) We played trivia with matt and allen on our last cruise, and we always had fun, and learned a few things along the way...we were never too competitive at all, never expecting to get more than a few questions correct.

i wanted to say hello to cruzbuds if they read this post, we met in mexico, on an excursion with mazlatan frank, and enjoyed spending the afternoon together!

I think alot of people have run into the guy with the notebook full of answers --- we did stop going when we were unfortunate enough to have him as a shipmate. It took the fun out of it.

Hi Mary Ann - we did meet on the Mercury in Oct 06, but it wasn't us with Mazatlan Frank. We were very active in the Roll Call, that's proably why you remember us. Say Hi to John!

A funny I'll share - on our Alaska cruise DH and I played trivia several times and ended up with a couple of Celebrity pens. I used one a few weeks after the cruise and commented to him that I was using a '$6,000 pen', then corrected myself - since we'd won 2, it was only a '$3,000 pen' !

I have a few of those....

Could someone come to my haouse and look about....

I lost most of them.

We recently returned from a Celebrity cruise and we were amazed by how nasty some people get during trivia. We found that one guy, who's very well known by the crew as he's a very frequent cruiser, keeps all his answer sheets from previous cruises in a binder, and brings them to every trivia game. Sheesh, is it that important to win a pen that you have to cheat that way? We stopped going to trivia because of this guy. So OP, I can understand your questions. I feel sorry for anyone who has to take their trivia GAMES so seriously.

It's only a game. Are you saying that a gentleman actually pulled out a binder and sat there with the answers? If this is so, why didn't the activities staff put an end to the game?

Hard to believe that an adult would do something like this? Have cruised extensively on many lines and have never run into a situation like this.

We've been on a few cruises with the man who pulls out the binder loaded with answers from previous games, and no, the staff does nothing about it despite the fact that they know he does it. He apparently is a very frequent X cruiser and they don't want to ruffle his feathers, I guess. Same for the man who gets all upset with anyone who tries to usurp his trivia territory. The staff is well aware of his attitude, but can do nothing about it because he's also a frequent X cruiser. The staff just smiles and goes along.

Well hopefully he is reading this if he cruises on x all the time.I do know who you are talking about,maybe all these posts stating that people hate his binder,he'll throw it away.

We've been on a few cruises with the man who pulls out the binder loaded with answers from previous games, and no, the staff does nothing about it despite the fact that they know he does it. He apparently is a very frequent X cruiser and they don't want to ruffle his feathers, I guess. Same for the man who gets all upset with anyone who tries to usurp his trivia territory. The staff is well aware of his attitude, but can do nothing about it because he's also a frequent X cruiser. The staff just smiles and goes along.

Gosh, I've never seen a binder pulled out at all the trivia games I've played while cruising on X.

Will have to look for the mystery man and his binder.

You should have seen him in March on Azamara's Battle of the Sexes..he dressed up as a pregnant Eve...what that man won't do for a luggage tag! :eek: Hope you are well! LuAnn

That's what scares me, I do know what he'll do for a luggage tag!

and yes, we're great. Say Hi to Mr Trivia for me...

Gosh, I've never seen a binder pulled out at all the trivia games I've played while cruising on X.

Will have to look for the mystery man and his binder.

The funny thing of it is...

The entertainment staff person pulls out a small binder and the person pulls out a larger one.

That they have typed out the questions and answers for.

I saw this one time......

Archived