Sun Princess 46 day Africa & India Odyssey

carruthers

My wife and I are booked on this cruise leaving from our home port of Fremantle on May 2. Our initial enthusiasm is declining as every day goes by due to the risk of terrorism increasing in about one third of the listed ports of call.

Initially it was Mumbai (Bombay) India and since then Madagascar, Thailand and the Maldives have been added to the Government list of places to avoid. Add to this the risk of piracy in some of the areas the ship is entering.

Princess have not as yet altered their itinerary for this voyage and we are waiting eagerly to see if there is any change.

Anymore, travel to certain places sure can make you uneasy can't it? Although I wouldn't want you to miss any of the ports you are looking so forward to visiting, trust me when I say that the cruise line will not allow passengers to go ashore if it isn't safe.

As for piracy, if you ready Bill's live from thread from the Royal Princess world cruise, he posted today that the Royal is taking every precaution while sailing through these unsecure waters where piracy is taking place at an exceeding rate these days. The ship may also get a military escourt through the areas not safe to enter without one.

You may not have heard of any cancelled ports yet as the cruise line may be still unsure and are taking it on a day to day basis. You may not even find out until you are onboard and nearing certain ports that they might be cancelled for your own safety.

Best of Luck, I hope you had a very enjoyable adventure!

On our crusie last month on the Pacific Princess, our captain was asked what the chances of an attack were for a cruise ship traveling around the Horn of Africa. He said that most considered it unlikely. Even if the pirates succeeded in taking the ship, the logistics of controling 1000 or more people by a handful of pirates would be extremely difficult. He also said there were actions the ship could take to try to twart an attack.

Archived