Paying duty on cigarettes

jgmpuma

Prices being what they are, all of our friends who smoke are asking us to buy cigarettes on board. I know that we can bring back one carton per person. If we bring more and declare them on the customs form, what will they charge us per carton?

No. You are only allowed one carton per person period. There is no duty that you can pay for extra like alcohol. I found this getting off the Valor in Miami. I bought the 5 carton special and claimed all of them on my customs form. When I made it up to the official he asked about it, explained to me there was no going over, and took me out of line and into the other room to have them destroyed. I had no idea they would do that. However, since I claimed them and obviously didn't know that you couldn't just pay a duty on extras the custom guy in the other room let me go on and keep them. He was supposed to destroy the extra cartons though.

This was not on a cruise but on my annual St.Martin trip. I always bring back between 10-15 cartons. I've always declared them on my customs form. They have never said a word at JFK. Just my experiences.

I purchased 5 cartons of Marlboro on our first stop in St. Maarten ($14.95 ea) during our 3/13-3/21 sailing onboard the Miracle and carried them on the ship. I put them inside my suitcase when I got back to the cabin. I only declared two cartons & customs barely looked at the form.

I can't remember exactly how much the cartons of Marlboro were on the Miracle......I know they were packaged in a bundle of 4 or 5 cartons and I want to say the price was $90.

Newports were $42.00 for two cartons.

Karen

My DH smokes and we've always brought more home than the allowance and I always write the number of cartons on our customs form and the customs agents have apparently never looked closely enough to notice. I just have always assumed that if they did notice, we'd have to pay a duty on the additional cartons, it seems as if that's how the custom form reads (if I recall).

Thanks for all of your responses.

A friend of mine used to work for Customs. He told me that their focus is on crew members (especially drug smugglers) much more than on passengers, and that the paperwork needed to collect a few dollars for an extra bottle of vodka or to order the forfeiture of an extra carton of cigarettes just isn't worth their while. I didn't know if that was still the case.

I'll declare them and take my chances.

I on't smoke, but am bringing them back for others. A carton of cigs here is $36.99 at Sam's. Would have to buy them on the ship because I don;t think there are any deals in the Bahamas. (are there?)

Archived