What Excursions and What To see in Halifax / St John

We are going to Halifax and St John, NB this summer 6/29 on a cruise an were looking for sugegestion on what to do while we are there. Where is the best place to get Lobster and should we do it with the cruise line or by ourself. Any help in must sees would be appreciated so we can decide what to book with them or what we can easily do on our own

Thanks

We are going to Halifax and St John, NB this summer 6/29 on a cruise an were looking for sugegestion on what to do while we are there. Where is the best place to get Lobster and should we do it with the cruise line or by ourself. Any help in must sees would be appreciated so we can decide what to book with them or what we can easily do on our own

Thanks

If you go to page 2 on this board, you will find a thread started by Acey that is entitled."2009 Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada FAQ & Interactive Cruise Ship Visitors' Map" It is a weatlth of information and if you still have any questions, please feel free to come back and ask them.

For lobster in Saint John, there is Steamers which is directly across the street from the Pugsley Cruise Terminal and Billy's Seafood which is located at the uphill end of the Old Saint John City Market (between the doors to the outside).

Which is better Saint JOhn or Halifax for lobster if you only had to do 1

The lobster is equally good in both places. In Halifax, I like Salty's which is on the harbourfront behind the Historic Properties.

I keep seeing references to eating lobster while in a port. We plan to get lobster on lobster night. I know there is a difference in what is served in the main dining (on NCL) and what you get in the speciality dining rooms. Is the lobster even better at a port? Is it cheaper on land than in the speciality restaurant? Why the obsession with getting it while in port when you can get on board?

Thanks

This is personal preference , if you eat your lobster hot, try eating it old. Totally different texture. I always ate it hot, until a native Nova Scotian introduced me to it cold.

...plus in Boston who can get a whole lobster for lunch at places on Union St. for $10! I had lobster every single day for lunch on our NE cruise last year.. 5 days.. DH had lobster roll. If you're from Alabama (I'm from NC now, grew up 2 weeks each summer on the Cape) and have only had lobster there or on a cruise ship you haven't "really" had lobster...

...plus in Boston who can get a whole lobster for lunch at places on Union St. for $10! I had lobster every single day for lunch on our NE cruise last year.. 5 days.. DH had lobster roll. If you're from Alabama (I'm from NC now, grew up 2 weeks each summer on the Cape) and have only had lobster there or on a cruise ship you haven't "really" had lobster...

There is no lobster in the world quite like the lobster from Maine and the Atlantic Provinces. The colder water makes it taste better. Also, you can get hard shell lobster which tastes better than soft shell lobster. Believe me, a person who lives in the heart of lobster country wouldn't get too excited over those itty bitty, once frozen, :eek:, tasteless tails they serve on a cruiseship.

Archived