Beer - YUMMY

lhuggi1

What Beer Do You Want to See Onboard  

152 members have voted

1. 1. What Beer Do You Want to See Onboard

Sigh... I understand what an ale and a lager is. I homebrew, I know all the concepts and reasonings behind, BUT to say there are no "sub groups" or ales is ridiculous. Stouts, porters, trappist, scotch, pale, etc, are all in a manner or speaking "sub groups" of ales.

The same thing goes with lagers(Pilsners, Marzen/Oktoberfests, etc.)

I am still not sure what you mean by subgroup, but that's ok. As stated by your last post, Guinness is no less an ale than any other ale, which you originally mocked me on.

As a competitive homebrewer, it is important for me to know what beer style my brew falls under, such as may be found in the bjcp style guide.

(Notice that they refer to the dry stout as "A very dark, roasty, bitter, creamy ale.")

How about Rogue Dead Guy ?

Love the dead guy. Have you tried the double dead guy? http://www.rogue.com/beers/double-deadguy.php

Good stuff.

I am still not sure what you mean by subgroup, but that's ok. As stated by your last post, Guinness is no less an ale than any other ale, which you originally mocked me on.

As a competitive homebrewer, it is important for me to know what beer style my brew falls under, such as may be found in the bjcp style guide.

(Notice that they refer to the dry stout as "A very dark, roasty, bitter, creamy ale.")

I guess it's about time to put both you boys into a time out huh?

Who cares....a good beer is a good beer. The only light I like is CL and that's only when I'm doin work around the house...or darts...or pool....:cool:

Howsaboot a crazy jacka** ale?

I guess it's about time to put both you boys into a time out huh?

Who cares....a good beer is a good beer. The only light I like is CL and that's only when I'm doin work around the house...or darts...or pool....:cool:

Howsaboot a crazy jacka** ale?

The dude called me out "You did not just call Guinness an Ale did you?.. "

If you are going to mock me, get it right at least.

I can do just about any light beer, but they are just lawnmower beer. Served ice cold they are tolerable, but definitely not to be "tasted", lol. A little trivia, Amstel light has one of the lowest alcohol contents you can get in a regular beer. My favorite light is prolly SA light, but I am not a fan. If I am having a lite, I'll have the watered down variety. If I am gonna have a beer, I'll have a real beer.

Haven't had the crazy *****. Any good?

I can do just about any light beer, but they are just lawnmower beer. Served ice cold they are tolerable, but definitely not to be "tasted", lol. A little trivia, Amstel light has one of the lowest alcohol contents you can get in a regular beer. My favorite light is prolly SA light, but I am not a fan. If I am having a lite, I'll have the watered down variety. If I am gonna have a beer, I'll have a real beer.

True...beers are either ales or lagers....period.

Now if they are a specific type of ale or lager you can get into that..but they are still ales or lagers.

And yer Guinness is an ale.

Beers fall into two broad categories: Those that are produced by top-fermenting yeasts (ales) and those that are made with bottom-fermenting yeasts (lagers). There are hybrids, but that's another discussion.

Ales came first, when brewers weren't exactly sure what role yeast played. Because ales were unstable, brewing ceased in warm weather and brewers would store reserves in as cool or cold an environment as they could find. Brewers storing their beer in very cold Alpine caves found that their beer was more stable because the yeast had sunk to the bottom.

We won't go into the evolution of this yeast, but this storage (lagerung in German) naturally selected bottom-fermenting yeasts. Operating at colder temperatures these yeasts worked slower, producing beer more attenuated, cleaner, rounder and less fruity than ales. Fermentation took one to three months.

Ales include everything with ale in the name (pale ale, amber ale, etc.), porters, stouts, Belgian specialty beers, wheat beers and many German specialty beers. They generally have a more robust taste, are more complex and are best consumed cool (50F or a bit warmer) rather than cold.

Lagers include pilseners, bocks and dopplebocks, Maerzens/Oktoberfests, Dortmunders and a few other styles found mostly in Germany. They are best consumed at a cooler temperature than lagers, although anything served at less than 38F will lose most of its flavor.

Hey I was defending you LMAO.

Thanks Kelz!

Hey I was defending you LMAO.

Sorry, the "you" was directed to anyone who corrects somebody else publicly with incorrect information.;)

I like all the Shiner's, but Shiner Hefewiezen is my favorite....excellent.

http://www.shiner.com/main.php

Also, love Abita beers, especially Andygator.

Would that be a lager or an ale?:eek:

How did a beer thread become a pissing match? :rolleyes:

One of my favorite things to do when travelling is to try the local brew. I usually bring a few beers on board from each port to enjoy at my leasure. Of course I would like to see a wider selection of beers on board. I'm not a big fan of the fizzy, yellow, tasteless stuff that seems to be the only thing resembling beer available on board on most ships.

It's ashame that most ships don't stock the local beers of the ports they visit. This would save many of us the hassle of buying it ashore and having to lug it on board.

Beers I'd like to see in addition to the local stuff.

IPA- At least one.

Weizen - Especially on cruises in warmer climits.

A Trappist Beer to go with my meals.

And maybe one good all around ale like Sierra Nevada.

Cheers.

I'm an ale man... but Boddington's is bad. People in UK don't drink Boddington's, it only sells as an exported beer (same as Fosters in oz, you ask an aussie about Fosters and they wouldn't know where to find one).

My choice would be Kilkenny (Irish Ale) for beer, and costa rican beer Imperial for lager. I highly doubt either would make it onto a ship, but it would be great if they did. :)

Archived