Dawn from NYC? Questions about the port

sunryz710

Has anyone sailed from the NYC port before?

We are from CT and were planning on driving in. Is it possible? Is their parking? Can someone explain what its like?

I noticed there are 2 ports in NYC.. does anyone know which one NCL Dawn uses?

How inconvenient is it to get there?

Has anyone sailed from the NYC port before?

We are from CT and were planning on driving in. Is it possible? Is their parking? Can someone explain what its like?

I noticed there are 2 ports in NYC.. does anyone know which one NCL Dawn uses?

How inconvenient is it to get there?

It leaves from the Manhattan cruise terminal vehicle entrance 54th street and 12th ave

see http://www.nycruise.com manhattan cruise terminal

parking is easy and expensive $30 per day

or buses/transfers from JFK? Do you think we can buy those and drive and park at the airport?

from JFK a cab costs 45 plus tolls and tip.

the NCL bus is more expensive for more than one person from the airport.

The supershuttle charges about $15 per person(http://www.supershuttle.com).

yes there is a bus train combo which you don't want to do with lugggage.

My dh and I drive from Pennsylvania and park at the port in Manhattan for the Dawn cruise, too. Yes, the parking is pricey, but it is soooo easy and convenient. We actually drive up the day before and go to our favorite place for dinner and get up early and drive a half hour or so to the terminal. It's so exciting driving over the bridge and then the first time you see the ship. You think, I'm going on that ship. Even after 3 cruises, I still get so excited. Have fun.:D I guess I'm already getting excited for my next adventure on the Dawn!!! Yes, I'm counting.

Pre-booked indoor parking is available nearby, offered by ICON Parking System and can be reserved for as little as $147 for the week at Hudson View Garage LLC, 10th Avenue at West 51st. Street, 2 blocks away from the cruise terminal. Just Google to find their website & input your dates and it will give you choices, some are more expensive than parking on the pier. If you traveling light & don't mind a bit of walking or dropping off the luggage & then park, then go back to check-in. It will save you at least $50 (since you got to tip the garage attendant) & worth considering.

There is nothing better than sailing out of or into NYC it is fabulous (ESPECIALLY SAILING PAST LADY LIBERTY)- The NCL pier is right on the Hudson River alongside the West Side Highway. It is easy peasey. :)

YES!

Do not be foolish and think about booking a dinner in the dining room and missing this.

14 out of 17 cruises I've left from NY and always parked at the terminal...it's so worth it. There have been disembakation days when the line for a cab has been an hour or more. Not to mention schlepping luggage through the streets to reach another parking facility...ughh!

From CT...just make your way down the Merritt or I-95 to the Henry Hudson Parkway...like some has said...it's easy peasy!

Keep in mind, guys, that now part of the parking garage at the pier is under construction. You can no longer drive up, drop bags, and then up the ramp to the parking deck. That ramp is gone (for now). If you drop your bags, you'll have to go back out onto the main road and get back in line again. So, go up the first ramp and park first. Porters will be up ther to assist with baggage. Then, you can go down the elevator and go to check-in.

Still parking at the pier is way convenient. We used to take the train to NYC and cab it over to the pier. Last year we decided to drive. And, it was so much more relaxing and easy. We're driving again this year. Can't wait!!!

Okay you have convinced me! or eased my fears anyway.. I pictured having to make my way through the busy streets of Manhattan.

If I understand correctly, it is right off a highway.. no real NY Manhattan city traffic to worry about?

Yes, as soon as you get through the Lincoln tunnel, you'll turn left (forget what street) and turn left again into the cruise terminal area.

I have lived my whole life in the DC area and absolutely hate driving in DC. I found Manhattan traffic to be much easier than DC. You'll be fine!

We also took Entertainment Tours last year. They picked us up in New London and we stopped in New Haven and Bridgeport.

It was alot easier then driving. Arrived at the terminal about 12:00. The only bad part was that we didn't head home until after 1:00. We stayed on the ship as long as possible and then stood around outside for a few hours.

The drivers both ways were good. We'd take them again.

Yes, as soon as you get through the Lincoln tunnel, you'll turn left (forget what street) and turn left again into the cruise terminal area.

I have lived my whole life in the DC area and absolutely hate driving in DC. I found Manhattan traffic to be much easier than DC. You'll be fine!

since there are two tubes this can get confusing.

Follow the signs that say "uptown". Make a left at any numbered street(west) to 11th avenue make a right on 11th avenue. make a left at 55th street....and straight to the cruise terminal...

http://www.mapquest.com/maps?1pn=ewr&2pn=Manhattan+cruise+terminal

• 3 weeks later...

Leaving on the dawn on sun.10th. Does anyone know if both ramps are noiw open or is the one past the drop off area still closed for construction? It was mentioned earlier on this thread that the second ramp was closed and if you missed the first ramp you would have to go back around and get in line again. We have gone out of there twice before and always used the ramp at the end of the drop-off area, where is the other ramp located,I don't remember seeing it. When you turn left at the light and go accros the ped. crossing, how soon does the 1st. ramp come upon you? Thanks in advance for your help

Remember that these are often on weekends when normal NYC traffic is light.

Remember also that things like a bicycle race or some marathon can totally screw up traffic for hours. Always an adventure.

Leaving on the dawn on sun.10th. Does anyone know if both ramps are noiw open or is the one past the drop off area still closed for construction? It was mentioned earlier on this thread that the second ramp was closed and if you missed the first ramp you would have to go back around and get in line again. We have gone out of there twice before and always used the ramp at the end of the drop-off area, where is the other ramp located,I don't remember seeing it. When you turn left at the light and go accros the ped. crossing, how soon does the 1st. ramp come upon you? Thanks in advance for your help

Ramp was still closed this past weekend.

We are also leaving from CT. The bus posted costs $90 per person so really its only $30 cheaper then parking yourself and you have to wait around for a few hours after? I think we will probably drive and park. Thanks for the tips on parking and then checking in. This is our first cruise so we have no idea what to expect.

Archived