packing for cruisetour

mjdgarth

Would someone be so kind as to explain to me how this packing thing works for the cruisetours. I know part of our luggage will go straight to the ship, never to be seen until we board. The suitcase we take on the land portion, does this have to be carry on size and is with us at all times ? Do we lug this thing around or it is taken to the hotel and then the next 2 lodges ? Thanks for any insight on this.

Mjdgarth

We did a 12 day cruisetour last year-my husband was not comfortable with having a suitcase go to the ship and us not seeing it for six days (we toured first), so we each took a 26" bag, packed full with us on the tour and it worked out great (we did laundry during the cruise so did not take 12 days worth of clothing). The bags went with us to each lodge (they go on the bus or on a truck on tour segments when you are on the train) and are waiting in your room when you check in. You take only a hand carry on the train (there is very limited room to stow it).

We took lots of layers-jeans, fleece, long sleeve tops, etc. and coordinating colors and mix & match for evenings on the cruise.

We've been on some cruisetours - Alaska, Swiss Alps, Australia, and N Europe and on exactly none of these did our bags go directly to the ship. They were always more or less available. They were in the bottom of the bus, on the train, etc. In fact, there were a cople of instances when people on our tours needed something out of their bags and that was accomplished relatively easily and without embaessment or discomfort to anyone.

We've enjoyed cruisetours, sometimes more than the cruise, and recommend them. They are very well done - at least that's our experience. Enjoy.

To clarify what the PP said, Princess cruisetours in AK may be different then other cruisetours. One suitcase goes to your hotel, but they will not necessarily be transported on your train or under your bus. For at least some segments your luggage is transported in a seperate luggage truck. You must assume your luggage won't be available until you arrive at your next hotel. Check the cruisetour answer book. Carry on luggage, for the train, is limited to basically a tote bag.

Makes sense to tag at least one bag for delivery to your ship. At least put your formal wear in that bag.

You must assume your luggage won't be available until you arrive at your next hotel. <snip> Makes sense to tag at least one bag for delivery to your ship. At least put your formal wear in that bag.
This is correct. Having your formal wear and other "ship clothing" go ahead of you is a real good deal.

Would someone be so kind as to explain to me how this packing thing works for the cruisetours. I know part of our luggage will go straight to the ship, never to be seen until we board. The suitcase we take on the land portion, does this have to be carry on size and is with us at all times ? Do we lug this thing around or it is taken to the hotel and then the next 2 lodges ? Thanks for any insight on this.

Mjdgarth

Hi, Here's our experience with the Land tour and luggage.

When you pack for your land/cruise make sure to pack as if it were two vacations. Pack one (or two whatever you decide to take) for the cruise and pack another smaller one (yes, carry-on size) for the land portion.

When you begin the land portion Princess will collect all of the "cruise" luggage and transfer it directly to the ship - seriously you won't see it until you get onboard and it will beat you to your cabin. Guaranteed.

You will be able to keep the small bag (carry-on) with you on the land portion. It should have all of your essentials for the land portion and it will travel with you. You will never touch the small bag except to bring it into your room at the lodge and place it outside your room. Princess does all luggage handling and they are exceptional at it. Everyone is allowed a smaller (think, handbag or backpack) to keep with them on the train.

Princess' organization on the land potion in exceptional, from the meet and greet at the airport to the packets given out for each hotel - nothing is left to chance.

We will be cruising first and then the land portion. Should I assume that all my luggage will be with me and accessible all the time?

The smaller bag that you are taking on the land portion will be collected every morning by Princess and stored on the train, it will not be accessible. You will find it outside the door to your room at the end of each travel day. The smaller bag - hand carried backpack or tote bag will be with you at all times on the train.

We will be cruising first and then the land portion. Should I assume that all my luggage will be with me and accessible all the time?

NO--only during the cruise portion of your cruise tour. Last night of your cruise you'll put your bags outside your cabin. One bag will be tagged to join you on your land tour. You'll tag the other bags to meet you in Fairbanks (or wherever your tour ends).

The bag that goes with you goes from hotel to hotel. You won't be able to access during transit.

Your carryon bag, that you carry on the train, is basically a tote bag.

I don't agree with the previous posters. I think you can have your standard sized airline checked bag go with you on the land tour.

Page 22-23 of the 2008 tour answer book provides the details.

Three kinds of luggage

1) Hand Carry Tote 17x14x4 that you take on the train. Jacket, camera, sunglasses etc.

2) Travel with Me--One bag. Gets delivered directly to your next hotel. You won't be able to access the bag until you arrive at your next hotel.

3) Join Me---(Onboard, in Anchorage or in Fairbanks) This suitacase should include items you'll only need on the ship. Formal clothing for example.

The cruisetour includes baggage handling, but only for one bag per guest.

Archived