cruise jail?

pricewc

not sure if they have an actual brig...they probably have a small one.

They could always confine you to your cabin and have security outside the door. :p

This should get some interesting responses...hopefully some facts and the answer will be among them. :D

It's my understanding that ships do have a small brig onboard. With thousands of passengers and crew on board, never know what might happen to make you need it! (There's a morgue on board as well!).

I never thought about a morgue...but wow...Could you imagine dying of anywhere better? :p

Do cruise ships have jails on board? I'm not saying I'm going to get arrested but what do they do with people who commit a crime on board?

Yes they do. On a ship, a jail is called a Brig. I believe (not that I've ever been there) that the Brig on cruise ships is fairly small. Another thing they have onboard that most people don't know about or just don't think about is a small mourge (sp). I guess people break the law and die on ships just like they do on land!! :(

I may have been dreaming but I remember hearing that they have the ability to disable the electronic locks to the room doors in case a passenger needs to be restrained(I don't know if i buy that unless there is a way they could do the same to a balcony door)or quarantined. They should sell excursions to show things like this on the ship. I'd go.

They could always confine you to your cabin and have security outside the door. :p

That point happens to be true, they do do that sometimes if someone is either really naughty or really sick.

Not sure if they have an actual 'brig" or not on the Fantasy, but last November six gang-banger girlfriends were confined to their cabins (4 down from mine) on day three of the cruise. Their boyfriends were arrested and kicked off of the ship before it even left the dock in NOLA. The girls were met by a group of HomeLand Security and New Orleans cops at docking back in NOLA.

Not sure if they have an actual 'brig" or not on the Fantasy, but last November six gang-banger girlfriends were confined to their cabins (4 down from mine) on day three of the cruise. Their boyfriends were arrested and kicked off of the ship before it even left the dock in NOLA. The girls were met by a group of HomeLand Security and New Orleans cops at docking back in NOLA.

They should have kicked them off in Haiti or Cuba.:eek:

i was on the liberty last year for my wedding and a fight broke out twice involving the same individuals and there was nothing that was done with those "passengers". I heard that they only confined the person who caused the fights to their room for the remainder of the cruise and when we got back to th port in miami, we noticed miami dade police coming aboard the ship. they need something - it was a pretty ugly fight and we had many 1st time cruisers onboard and we swore to them that this was a first. The folks at the purser's desk said that there was nothing that could be done - the security folks were handling it :confused:.

Man, I hate it when people break the law and die.:D

The ship isn't absolutely obligated to return you to the port of embarkation. They can and do leave passengers in foreign ports.

Getting caught smoking a hooter on board is a real no-no, for instance.

I may have been dreaming but I remember hearing that they have the ability to disable the electronic locks to the room doors in case a passenger needs to be restrained(I don't know if i buy that unless there is a way they could do the same to a balcony door)or quarantined. They should sell excursions to show things like this on the ship. I'd go.

Not true. The mechanical override inside of the cabin will open the door. If it did not, you would have a safety issue of not being able to exit the cabin.

Dave

I Think normally,they confine you to your room,but some ships do have a brig,but it is small,capacity of 4?,and they can handcuff or use zipties,in order to restrain you, I Had a guy tied to a chair one time,i was foreman on a large fishing boat,he was being very violent,so i had him tied,and lifted of the boat,into a skiff,and onto a plane,where he was met in dutch harbor by police and arrested,if you are out of control,and a threat to other passengers,or the ship,they can detain you,until they get to shore or port,but it does'nt happen very often;):D

In ref. to the morgue, on time sailing disney, a passenger actually had a heart attack about an hour after leaving port, and unfortunately he passed away before they could get him off the ship. Im assuming this isnt a one time occurance, so these morgues do get some use sadly.

Wow. I have never thought of there being a brig or even a morgue on board but I can see where it'd be necessary to have. I can't imagine why the OP is even asking this, but it is an interesting question. How do you people even know this? LOL!

25 years ago, i got into a fight on a princess cruise heading down the west coast of Mexico. It was my senior high school trip, and there was another high school...and a girl....anyways...

for 2 days i was locked in my room and was brought room service. There was also large men that took turns sitting outside my room making sure i didnt leave.

I never thought about a morgue...but wow...Could you imagine dying of anywhere better? :p

A couple of years ago there was a guy that died on our ship. He died in the disco. He just passed out on the floor and blood splattered everywhere from his head. I heard people saying that he died of alcohol poisoning. I could tell from being around him in the disco that he was pretty wasted, but I didn't know that people died from that. The disco wasn't the same for the rest of the cruise.

It's my understanding that ships do have a small brig onboard. With thousands of passengers and crew on board, never know what might happen to make you need it! (There's a morgue on board as well!).

When I was on a tanker, there was a storeroom that could be locked from the outside with a padlock. It was the only storeroom with a small window in the door. Its purpose was clear.

There was also a 6 ft. long refrigerator on deck. We turned down the temp on it and stored ice cream in it. It would have been a shame if someone died in that we'd have to toss most of the ice cream.

Man, I hate it when people break the law and die.:D

I sure don't mind when they die BECAUSE they broke the law. That biker riding a wheelie down the highway, right into the back of a flatbed? Not going to miss him. The burgler met at the door by a Rottie? Nope, not him either.

I sure don't mind when they die BECAUSE they broke the law. That biker riding a wheelie down the highway, right into the back of a flatbed? Not going to miss him. The burgler met at the door by a Rottie? Nope, not him either.

I am in total agreement. Its kinda like chlorine for the gene pool.

Archived