Calls From Laptop?

TableForTwo

While we were on our last cruise, there was a man using his laptop to make calls home. He said using the internet, an inexpensive phone, and sometimes a calling card, he can call home for nothing or very little.

Unfortunately, I did not get the whole process from him, and cannot seem to track it down myself.

He said it usually costs whatever the per minute charge is on the laptop.

I thank anyone who might be able to shed some light on this. We all like to check home , but usually it is so expensive that we get a hugh bill as a surprise when we get home.

Thanks for you time

Skype, MagicJack, Vonage, there are a number of Voice Over IP (Google search for VOIP) systems that allow this HOWEVER given the relatively low bandwidth and high lag on the data link you will find the quality is pretty poor and "laggy". Also with the rate for internet usage and the fact that Seabourn now has "Cellular@Sea" service it is actually cheaper to just use your cell phone.

Just got back from cruise on "Legend", used cell phone the whole time, rates were not bad at all.

Have fun.... S

A couple of years ago on the Spirit, I used Skype with my laptop's webcam to talk to, and see, my now wife and it was wonderful, though a little unreliable. Unfortunately, VOIP is now largely blocked on the ships. Cellular@Sea is a great alternative.

Archived