slightly different Upsell Fairy question

Arwenmark

So we have all read of calls by the upsell fairy etc. and no one knows what basis they choose people to call on, however I was wondering if people in what we all consider to be prime cabins, might get offers more often than just someone is a standard, nothing special cabin.

I know some times they are going to upgrading people from insides so they can sell more really cheap cabins, or to open a few more balconies etc.

But what about the Stern cabins and those with wrap around decks etc. Those that have had these cabins booked have you gotten upsell calls? and if so what were they trying to upsell you too?

We usually book a mini-suite near the back of the ship. I always try to convince myself that it is an attractive enough category to make me a prime candidate for the Upsell Fairy to call with an offer I can't refuse for a full suite.

So far, that has never happened. :(

Of course, that fact that there are about 9 million mini-suites on each of the newer NCL ships may have something to do with it.:eek:

We were booked in an AE on the Pearl to Alaska in 2007 & 2008 and both times we got a call for an upsell.:) The first time to a Deluxe Owner's Suite and the second time to an Owner's Suite. We've really enjoyed the chance to experience these great cabins without having to pay full price for them! But talk about being spoiled!;)

I wonder if the upsell philosophy is to go for the passenger who is already in a small suite - trying to get them into a bigger, better suite so that next cruise they want to book the bigger, better suite from the get-go? Then when that makes the small suite available, they try to upsell a balcony passenger into it with the same strategy. Try to get the courtyard villas upsold to the Garden Villa?

Makes sense to me.......

On the Dawn we received and offer from AF mini to AB . We also got one last May on the Dawn from an AA to Garden Villa. On this cruise it was jusr DH and myself but one we got the offer we added family members because the 3rd person and so on was really cheap!!

On the Spirit we went from an AC to and AB - personally I like the AC better!!

My PCC told me last week that the upsell desk starts by calling people already in suites trying to upsell them to higer end suites then work their way down the list.

Well so far we have a couple of encouraging posts. Currently in 8170 on the STar and hoping for an upsell to an AB, Long way off still though.

We were in an Aft BA on the Sky and got the call to upgrade to the Owners Suite - which we did! :D I was thinking we got the call because we were an Aft balcony but our friends on a lower side balcony also got the call (in this case email) So who knows? This time we have booked an AD for Alaska and don't think we will change but now I am tempted to down grade to a BA just in case .... :rolleyes: But then, if we don't get the upgrade - :eek:

The one upsell we got (first cruise) was from the lowest of the lower ocean view to an AD penthouse for almost nothing. The TA had no idea why this would happen as she had never seen such a dramatic rise for so little $. I think that it was some higher power giving us a small pat on the back after a terribly difficult year full of loss.

On this-- we haven't actually had difficulty taking the step down to a mini or even an inside. We became addicted. But this was pre-Freestyle 2.0 and the suite perks were less enticing.

Upsell fairy-- if you are listening... I'd be happy to talk about the next three cruises we have booked. Told you we were addicts!

The way i look at the upsell "theory's" . They take a look across the board at how things are selling on a date. If there mainly booking inside cabins and not as many balcony. They will try to upgrade people into the balcony as the inside cabins will be easier to fill if there empty. The catagorys They go from are prolly not inside to balcony rooms but whatever they think they can sell the quickest for the most profit is what they will try to move people out of.

We were on the Gem in Sept. and had booked a BC and used BOA points for upgrade to BA and when we checked our reservation they had us in a mini-suite which we were thrilled about.Then a week before the cruise we got an e-mail offer to upgrade to either to Owners Suite or Courtyard Villa. We took the A4, talk about being spoiled! It was a great addition to our 25th anniversary cruise. Now I'm trying to figure out how to nose my way into the Courtyard again!

Have been offered upgrades 2 of my three cruises

Alaska - Balcony to Mini

Hawaii - Balcony to Penthouse

Took both

OK then it's now my turn :p

.... 5 cruises - 2 more booked - no offers! :(

~~~~~I am happy with my cabins on the next cruises ~ Pearl - Alaska - stern(aft) mini and Jewel - Caribbean- stern(aft) balcony

We were booked in an AE on the Pearl to Alaska in 2007 & 2008 and both times we got a call for an upsell.:) The first time to a Deluxe Owner's Suite and the second time to an Owner's Suite. We've really enjoyed the chance to experience these great cabins without having to pay full price for them! But talk about being spoiled!;)

We are booked in AF mini-suite on the Pearl in August to Alaska and I would love to have the opportunity for an upsell! We are a family of four and DH is nervous about the size of the cabin for all of us for a week.

No matter what, I think it will be an amazing vacation but after seeing some of the pictures of the larger suites it's hard not to daydream about one of them!

~~~~~I am happy with my cabins on the next cruises ~ Pearl - Alaska - stern(aft) mini and Jewel - Caribbean- stern(aft) balcony

It's all in who you know :D

I agree, it should be our turn now. I have taken four cruises never got an upsell offer. Just booked one more AE Penthouse on Gem next year, maybe this one will be the charm, but with this nice a cabin and what it already costs, don't know if I want to pay any more no matter what the offer is.

We were on the Gem in Sept. and had booked a BC and used BOA points for upgrade to BA and when we checked our reservation they had us in a mini-suite which we were thrilled about.Then a week before the cruise we got an e-mail offer to upgrade to either to Owners Suite or Courtyard Villa. We took the A4, talk about being spoiled! It was a great addition to our 25th anniversary cruise. Now I'm trying to figure out how to nose my way into the Courtyard again!

Did they just upgrade you from your BA to a mini-suite with out asking you if you wanted the upgrade? I hope not. I have an AFT BA on deck 10 and I would hate to end up in a deck eleven mini-suite. Now if they want to upgrade me to an AE or AD I wouldn't complain lol :).

Yes, they told us when we booked to pick and pay for a cabin 2 levels below what we wanted and when they got the certificates they would upgrade us. Since we were getting upgraded we knew we weren't keeping the original cabin anyway. I think they may have run out of balconies and hoped we wouldn't complain!

Yes, they told us when we booked to pick and pay for a cabin 2 levels below what we wanted and when they got the certificates they would upgrade us. Since we were getting upgraded we knew we weren't keeping the original cabin anyway. I think they may have run out of balconies and hoped we wouldn't complain!

Ah! so yours is a very different situation you were using an upgrade certificate.

Normally the only time they would upgrade someone would be to call and ask, or if you have a guarantee they can upgrade you as much as they like, or if for some reason they need the cabin you have booked, again they would have to ask first.

I'm hoping there's some sort of formula-using upgrade certificates. Now I find myself looking for jewel class ships and the best spot cabin-wise that I can put myself in for the upsell fairy. Once you've been in the courtyard it's hard to go back!

• 2 weeks later...
Did they just upgrade you from your BA to a mini-suite with out asking you if you wanted the upgrade? I hope not. I have an AFT BA on deck 10 and I would hate to end up in a deck eleven mini-suite. Now if they want to upgrade me to an AE or AD I wouldn't complain lol :).

im stressing here ;)why would u hate a deck 11 minisuite?

i specifically wanted a minisuite on the star as i felt the balconies were far too small for the 3 traveling in my family...was thrilled to get a deal from a TA @ less than balcony rate & way under what we could've booked military with NCL. fyi, we are aft near the spa.

did read one reveiw complaining about teens congregating on stairwells, all the others i read loved the cabin/area of ship.:confused:

Archived