$100.00 OBC when placing deposit for new cruise?????

cruisecap

Traditionally the policy is NO.

You must actually use the $100 in some other way.

Hopefully someone can clarify, but I think that policy changed around the first of the year and it now can be applied to the DSC. I'm not positive on this though

And does anyone know if OBC can be used in gratuities?

Traditionally the policy is NO.

You must actually use the $100 in some other way.

It has been stated on here many times that they no longer make any distinction. I can't say from personal experience since we always have plenty of other charges on there, but I believe the OBC is simply applied to your onboard account regardless of what the charges on the account are.

Someone mentioned a while back, that they bought into cruise rewards, got the OBC and was able to apply the $250 to a cruise they had booked previously and already paid the deposit on.

Anyone else have experience with this or might it just have been a fluke?

I am in contact with an online TA now about a future cruise, and I asked her this question. She said it can be used for deposits only.

What would happen if you used the certificate to book a cruise and then canceled? My guess is that you would get your deposit back less the $100 OBC, so if that is the case, your money is not lost if you find you cannot use the certificate. Just guessing, of course. Kathy

It went up to 24 months around last December, and more recently to 30 months.

It doesn't cost NCL ANYTHING to hold onto your money longer ... it's a win-win scenario :) Happy customers, and future bookings :)

Actually, NCL is better off in one way with the shorter time limit, because a higher percentage of certificates would go unused, giving them $150 in revenue ($250 - $100 OBC) for no goods or services provided.

I assume they lengthened the time limit to encourage more passengers to purchase the certificates.

You charge $250-$100=$150 to your on board account for a $250 deposit voucher,

The OBC never reallly exists.

Thats not true... there were two distinct line items... a 250 charge, and a 100 credit ... on our bill from January 24th on the Gem...

Thats not true... there were two distinct line items... a 250 charge, and a 100 credit ... on our bill from January 24th on the Gem...

Marketing, net on you bill is $150 no matter how many line items they put on there, there is no $100 obc to use on anything but the $250 you have just been charged.

The $100 saving is on the next cruise.

You charge $250-$100=$150 to your on board account for a $250 deposit voucher,

The OBC never reallly exists.

Good point, it's going to be used so it doesn't really matter what you call it.

Yes, you're right... so basically you pay $150 to a deposit you may not really use... :cool:

Well, that would be silly to buy it if you weren't going to use it. :confused:

Yes, you're right... so basically you pay $150 to a deposit you may not really use... :cool:

Why would you buy it if you don't intend to use it? That makes absolutely no sense.

It's a great deal if you know you are going to cruise again within the time frame. Save $100 on your next cruise and be able to utilize the $250 as your entire deposit instead of the per person deposit (not including some suites).

CG

And does anyone know if OBC can be used in gratuities?

It doesn't matter. Your onboard account will be charged $250 when you purchase your certificate. You will then get $100 OBC which if you purchase not one other thing the entire cruise, will be deducted off the $250 you paid for the cruise certificate.

CG

It doesn't matter. Your onboard account will be charged $250 when you purchase your certificate. You will then get $100 OBC which if you purchase not one other thing the entire cruise, will be deducted off the $250 you paid for the cruise certificate.

CG

I hear what you're saying, but sometimes it can make a difference...

For instance, on one of my upcoming cruises I got $450 OBC when I booked, if I buy into cruise rewards @ $250 I'll then have a total of $550 OBC (leaving a balance of $300 OBC to spend) so being able to apply the OBC to DSC could be important.

I say could, because I've never had a problem drinking, er-ah I mean spending, that amount on board anyhow ;)

Yes you can use them on one or two day cruises,

To the person asking what happens if you cancel, assuming you are before final payment you get the credit back on your latitudes account to use again as long as you sail within the required 30 month from when you purchased the certificate. You in fact do not need the piece of paper at all it is noted on your Latitudes records.

and YES you can use the OBC for gratuities or anything else that goes on your on board account.

Can u pre but them...I will be cruising July 3rd..If i called and bought them now would i be able to use the vouchers for a two day cruise next week.

You can't call and buy them. They are only available while you are onboard an NCL ship.

CG

Why would you buy it if you don't intend to use it? That makes absolutely no sense.

It's a great deal if you know you are going to cruise again within the time frame. Save $100 on your next cruise and be able to utilize the $250 as your entire deposit instead of the per person deposit (not including some suites).

CG

I know I'm going to cruise but am just sure on the itinerary. So this only interests someone who is sure to be wanting to travel with them again soon. Because you might want to do a certain itinerary and another cruiseline might offer a better deal after you bought the deposit... so there's a big chance of ending up loosing your money (even if you were inclined to do a certain trip with them in the beggining).

I really don't see this as a good deal at all.

I know I'm going to cruise but am just sure on the itinerary. So this only interests someone who is sure to be wanting to travel with them again soon. Because you might want to do a certain itinerary and another cruiseline might offer a better deal after you bought the deposit... so there's a big chance of ending up loosing your money (even if you were inclined to do a certain trip with them in the beggining).

For you, that's right, it wouldn't be. But for the many of us who are certain to cruise NCL again soon, it is the best deal going.

You're right, but for all the rest of us (to whom the promotion is really aiming at, let's be realistic), it's really a gamble: you may win, you may loose.

And as far as the deposit goes, it really isn't as good as all that because in some countries the deposit is 10%, so this year we payed less than $250 for the deposit (for one cabin).

I look at it this way - it works for us and we buy into the program. If it doesn't work for you - don't buy them.

That's what freestyle is all about - choice. We choose to buy and you can choose NOT to buy - that way everyone is happy!

If I buy the deposit I will for sure go on an NCL Cruise. That's the whole idea of getting them.

I know I'm going to cruise but am just sure on the itinerary. So this only interests someone who is sure to be wanting to travel with them again soon.

Yes, that's exactly right. No one should buy one if they aren't sure they will be sailing NCL within the time frame.

Because you might want to do a certain itinerary and another cruiseline might offer a better deal after you bought the deposit... so there's a big chance of ending up loosing your money (even if you were inclined to do a certain trip with them in the begining).

On that I totally disagree. NCL is my cruiseline of choice and unless there are certain sales going on, no one can touch their pricing. Add the $100 savings, and the low deposit onto the already low prices, it's win win situation for me and I buy at least one every time I sail NCL.

As I said beforre, for you perhaps not, but for many of us it's a fantastic deal.

You're right, but for all the rest of us (to whom the promotion is really aiming at, let's be realistic), it's really a gamble: you may win, you may loose.

Again, I disagree. The promotion is aimed at everyone, not specific people. It's a promotion to save you money which they hope will entice many to sail with them again, not just the dedicated NCL fans. And again, if you know you are going to sail them again, there's no gambling involved..it's a win win situation.

And as far as the deposit goes, it really isn't as good as all that because in some countries the deposit is 10%, so this year we payed less than $250 for the deposit (for one cabin).

In the US (where I am) the deposit is always $250 per person without the certificate, it doesn't vary unless there is a special promotion going on.

As others have said, this promotion obviously isn't for you. But those of us who love NCL think it's wonderful. Different strokes for different folks, right? :D

CG

Archived