Costa Rica and Panama ideas?

dna515

It's official! We just booked a cruise on the Carnival Freedom for July 4! Now for the fun stuff.. Does anyone have any suggestions for shore excursions in Costa Rica and/or Panama?

When we did the canal crossing back in Nov '06, we were advised to stay on the ship in panama, so we did. BUT for Costa Rica we booked a tour with Chralie Sotos (okeydokey tours). You can find information on the Port of Call Boards for this. I highly recommend it :)

We did the zip lining tour with Oscar Brown. He is a local travel guy, you can google him and contact him direct. He gives a great tour.

We the Panama cruise twice and did a tour each time. On the first cruise we did Fishing in Gatun Lake, awesome. We did the ferry through the canal tour the second time there. Both tours were outstanding. Be sure to bring a camera.

I love both ports and can't wait to go back again next year! Both places you will need a tour - these aren't the typical ports where you can just wander around. There are very small shopping areas at each pier and beyond that both Limon & Colon are pretty rough cities - Colon is by far the worst of the two. Just be aware of your surroundings there.

Both ports are very much worth visiting - you just need to get out of the port city in each case to really experience things. Check out the port of call boards here and you'll get lots of recommendations - both ship tours and private. Although I normally take private tours, I never could find a private tour I was interested in for Costa Rica and could never get comfortable with any of the private tours in Panama (at the time I went the main operator was getting lots of reports of almost missing the ship.)

Definitely do something to see the canal in Panama - we took the Two Oceans by Railroad tour with Carnival and it was well worth the expense. In Costa Rica, if you are into nature or birdwatching or would like an easy hike through the rainforest, check out the Bocuaren Have tour through Carnival. It's one of the best excursions I've ever done. Whatever you decide - stay safe. These are ports where it's best to not wear your flashy watch or jewelry and just keep aware of things. Panama also has the WORST driving I've ever seen and traffic accidents are common along with roadblocks (you have to pay a bribe to pass) so keep that in mind if you do go out on your own and not with a ship tour in Panama - make sure you have LOTS of time to get back to the ship.

Have a great time - these are two wonderful countries and can be great experiences if you know where to look. :)

Archived