Luggage Locks ??

Ilivetogo

I have read (here and there) about people locking their luggage and suggesting other do so. I have never had a lock on my luggage - mostly because we only fly (occasionally) down the east coast to Florida from PA (2.5 hour flight) then we pick it up and go on our way.

Is there something about cruising and the people handling the bags that makes this necessary? If so, what kind of "locks" do you use? Where do you get them? And how do you put a lock on a little zipper pull?

Just trying to be prepared for August. :)

THANKS!!

Why risk an opportunistic theft by leaving your bags unlocked? If you use TSA-approved locks, you can leave your luggage locked for the airport as well as the cruise line. (The TSA doesn't do the cruise ship screening, but their approved locks work for all purposes.)

Okay. What's a TSA lock? Where do you get one?

Most large department stores, got mine at Target. Also ANY luggage store.

I really only use them to prevent the zippers from being opened accidently. I think if a luggage handler is going to be brazen enough to steal from a bag, he's going to cut the dinky little lock off, or cut the bag open.

Zip ties are easy for both flying and cruising, just pack some nail clippers in an accessible place. They work great with zippers. They thwart some theives, determined ones no.

I think you have just been lucky so far.

I really only use them to prevent the zippers from being opened accidently. I think if a luggage handler is going to be brazen enough to steal from a bag, he's going to cut the dinky little lock off, or cut the bag open.

Me too . ;)

Okay. What's a TSA lock? Where do you get one?

Here's a website for TSA approved locks:

www.safeskieslocks.com

With these locks, you can set your own combination. The security people can also open up the locks with a key. We've always locked our luggage, if they 'clip' the locks, so what, another set costs only a couple of bucks. Most locks will fit the two zipper handles. Happy cruisin' :)

I agree 100%.

Locks, cable ties, etc., only help to keep "honest" people honest.

Yes use the TSA locks because, in theory, they will use their master key if they need to check your luggage rather than cutting the lock off.

I too really use the lock just to keep the suitcase closed.

Remember to NEVER put anything valuable in your suitcase. Put all electronics, jewelry, medications, etc. in your carry-on!

I had TSA locks on my bags , but made the mistake of puting my phone / lap top chargers in the outside zipped pocket . Gone ( airline guys ? pier guys ? ) :mad:

My sister's SIL puts small Bibles in an opaque bag in her side pocket and finds it incredibly ironic that they often disappear. I'm sure the people opening the bag are quite disappointed.

Viv

• Administrators
I agree 100%.

I disagree. They also help prevent accidents when a zipper pull becomes tangled with another piece of luggage's tag, etc. I never pack anything irreplaceable in checked bags, but lock them anyway.

I agree 100%.

I disagree. If your intent was to quickly open luggage in order to steal valuables, you would just go after the ones without a lock. Why risk getting caught because you spent an extra couple of seconds cutting off a lock?

Here you go - livetogo:

http://www.cargogear.com/search.aspx

In the product search field just type - tsa lock

You may lock your luggage while traveling even in airports. They can open your luggage with a master key for inspection and re-lock it.

They have prettier colors available at Travel Smith's website. We have a pink one, a lime green one. They also have bright luggage tags as well that really stand out if you travel by plane. Or, take a shuttle to the airport.:)

Archived