My Travel Acer, Other Laptops, Printers.......

sail7seas

I need a new printer and hope our techno experts can help me.

It doesn't need to be the least pricey ...but not over the top pricey either, please. :)

I hope I can use the same printer/scanner/fax etc for my new travel Acer mini, my Sony Vaio and my old HP.

Any suggestions?

It needs to be EASY> I'm the techno idiot in the group. :o

Thanks if you can help, once again.

I need a new printer and hope our techno experts can help me.

It doesn't need to be the least pricey ...but not over the top pricey either, please. :)

I hope I can use the same printer/scanner/fax etc for my new travel Acer mini, my Sony Vaio and my old HP.

Any suggestions?

It needs to be EASY> I'm the techno idiot in the group. :o

Thanks if you can help, once again.

Let me be the first to answer, and I hope I got your question right. You want a printer at home to use with all the computers you have. If you get the network model (wired or wifi) of any printer it will connect directly to your network instead of any particular computer. You can then install the drivers on each computer and print from wherever you are. HP makes several all in one systems that can be hooked up that way. Generally, the part number will have an 'N' at the end to denote the network model.

This page - http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/955185/HP-Officejet-J4680-Wireless-All-In/ - shows some examples but there are many more.

Rich

Thank you, Rich.

I only need the printer to be used in one room so WiFi won't matter much to me in that regard. I only print very rarely and it is always in that one room. I mostly use my computers in that room but, of course, from time to time take them WiFi elsewhere in the house.

I just want to be sure whichever machine I buy will be suitable for all three of my computers by simply loading it onto each.

Seeing as they are three different brands, I don't know if printers/scanners/fax are universal to various brands computers.

Thank you, Rich.

I only need the printer to be used in one room so WiFi won't matter much to me in that regard. I only print very rarely and it is always in that one room. I mostly use my computers in that room but, of course, from time to time take them WiFi elsewhere in the house.

I just want to be sure whichever machine I buy will be suitable for all three of my computers by simply loading it onto each.

Seeing as they are three different brands, I don't know if printers/scanners/fax are universal to various brands computers.

The printers I showed just need to connect to the network, wired or wifi, instead of using a usb or parallel cable to a particular computer. As long as a driver exists for the OS you are using (most likely WinXP or VIsta) you will be able to print from any of the laptops or desktops. If the printer is wired to the network, it will need to be near the router to be wired into it. If the printer is wifi, it could be in whatever room you wish, but still be stationary.

Rich

Ahaa... I get it.

Yes, I have Windows XP on all my computers.

I'll get a WiFi printer. Seems silly not to these days. Why be tethered to a cord?

Thanks, as always, Rich. You are always so generous with your help.

Yes, there will be a cord from the printer to the router. The new all-in-one units are very nice. You have your copier, scanner, and printer all in one footprint.

Jim - many of the new AIO systems have wireless built into them as well so there is not a wire from the AIO to the router. The printer I linked to is one of them. Some have both a wired and wireless network connector.

Rich

is there such a thing as a portable printer? I need to print boarding passes while in Rome for my return flight and just wonder if there is such a thing as a small portable printer that will suffice these needs?

Canon used to make two nice portable printers, the bjc70 and bjc80. These were designed for portable use and had an optional battery. When they were available they were priced under $100 (iirc). If your laptop has a parallel printer port, and you could find one on eBay, this would be a good printer for you. The current "replacement" is the i80 which is priced at $249 (a bit pricey).

Check around for others, they are available.

Rich

ps

just checked eBay - several BJC80's listed here

http://desc.shop.ebay.com/items/_W0QQ_dmptZBIQ5fToner?_nkw=bjc80&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=1&_trksid=p3286.m270.l1313&_odkw=bjc70&_osacat=0&_rdc=1

Rich

Canon used to make two nice portable printers, the bjc70 and bjc80. These were designed for portable use and had an optional battery. When they were available they were priced under $100 (iirc). If your laptop has a parallel printer port, and you could find one on eBay, this would be a good printer for you. The current "replacement" is the i80 which is priced at $249 (a bit pricey).

Check around for others, they are available.

Rich

ps

just checked eBay - several BJC80's listed here

http://desc.shop.ebay.com/items/_W0QQ_dmptZBIQ5fToner?_nkw=bjc80&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=1&_trksid=p3286.m270.l1313&_odkw=bjc70&_osacat=0&_rdc=1

Rich

how about these?? will they work with the Dell mini 9?

http://cgi.ebay.com/SiPix-POCKET-PRINTER-A6-IR-Portable-for-LAPTOP-PDA-NEW_W0QQitemZ400043719178QQihZ027QQcategoryZ178QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I always liked HP and a printer is the only product where I have purchased a warranty. And, my printer had been replaced twice, and with the latest model since whatever I had was not available.

do they make a portable that will work with the Dell netbooks?

It doesn't look like it. The printer you showed needs a serial or irda (infared) port which I don't see that the Dell mini 9 has. In addition, I really would not want it as it is a thermal (heat activated) printer. It requires special paper and if placed in a warm environment it starts to fade (like receipts from most fast food places).

Rich

do they make a portable that will work with the Dell netbooks?

Looks like this (http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/store_access.do?template_type=product_detail&product_code=CB026A%23B1H&jumpid=oc_R1002_USENC-001_HP%20Officejet%20H470%20Mobile%20Printer&lang=en&cc=us) would be a good solution from HP, and I agree that they make some of the best printers on the market.

Rich

is there such a thing as a portable printer? I need to print boarding passes while in Rome for my return flight and just wonder if there is such a thing as a small portable printer that will suffice these needs?
If that's all you need to do, the hotel should have a printer you can use. Also, HAL ships usually offer a special near the end of the cruise, for people who normally don't use the internet during their cruises, just to get online to check in for return home flight and then print the boarding pass. So if you are flying home at the end of the cruise, you could print it there. If you are staying at a hotel post-cruise, I'm sure they have a business center offering the same sort of service.

Of course, I'm assuming that's all you want the printer for. In that case, printing the boarding pass at the hotel or at the Explorations Cafe sure beats lugging even a portable printer around with you.

Blue skies ...

--rita

If that's all you need to do, the hotel should have a printer you can use. Also, HAL ships usually offer a special near the end of the cruise, for people who normally don't use the internet during their cruises, just to get online to check in for return home flight and then print the boarding pass. So if you are flying home at the end of the cruise, you could print it there. If you are staying at a hotel post-cruise, I'm sure they have a business center offering the same sort of service.

Of course, I'm assuming that's all you want the printer for. In that case, printing the boarding pass at the hotel or at the Explorations Cafe sure beats lugging even a portable printer around with you.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Hi Rita! we don't leave until the next afternoon, I am taking my mini netbook, but we will be on tour the day we disembark, in Rome until some time late in the day. So we will be late trying to do the online booking and seat selection. I just didn't want to chance not being able to print out the boarding passes and having to stand in line at FCO airport waiting to get them. any other ideas? We are staying in the Quality Inn Hotel Nova Domus, just don't know what else to do since I don't have access to the ships printer

How about looking for an internet cafe on line before you go and while you are touring Rome, stop in and print your boarding pass? Surely there have to be places available for public use like that.

How about looking for an internet cafe on line before you go and while you are touring Rome, stop in and print your boarding pass? Surely there have to be places available for public use like that.

you got me, I have never done any of this before, cruise, touring in Europe, let alone been to Rome and looking for an internet cafe. I really wonder how helpful Stefanio with Rome Cabs would be if I tell him I need to add an internet cafe to my itinerary for the day;)

You just said the magic words. He will be extremely helpful. He will be your 'friend in town.' For sure, he'll be able to assist but why not e-mail him in advance and tell him what you will need to give him notice and the chance to locate the best place to take you. If you do this in advance, it will all go more smoothly when you are there.

You will Love touring Rome but will never be able to see it all. Be organzied about your priorities.

I've heard all good things about him.

You just said the magic words. He will be extremely helpful. He will be your 'friend in town.' For sure, he'll be able to assist but why not e-mail him in advance and tell him what you will need to give him notice and the chance to locate the best place to take you. If you do this in advance, it will all go more smoothly when you are there.

You will Love touring Rome but will never be able to see it all. Be organzied about your priorities.

I've heard all good things about him.

we have 2 days precruise and 1 day post cruise for touring Rome! I can hardly wait and I will email Stefano and let him know I need iternet access around noon. thanks for the great help! Sorry I kinda butted in and comandeered your thread. :D:o

I have a HP PHotosmart C6100 with wifi and have a Dell laptop, a Dell desktop, an Acer Aspire One netbook and an Alienware desktop computer that all print to it via wifi.

The only problem with the Acer is it doesn't have a CD drive, so in order to load the driver onto it, you will have to download it via the internet from the HP website ( I had trouble doing this for some reason) or plug a portable cd drive into your Acer and load it that way (this is what I did). OR if you have a home network you could also load it on your Acer that way.

Archived