HC Elevator override

MedicKen

Hello everyone,

I've noticed some ships have an elevator override for HC travellers. I even noticed card slots at every elevator on Freedom of the Seas. Were those for HC override or crew/emergency override.

If RCI, Independence ot Seas specifically, have HC override capability, where do you get an access card?

Thanks for all your help.

Ken

Sorry, can't help with your specific question, haven't cruised on that lline. But, while there was a slot for an override on the NCL Jewel..nobody "in charge" seemed to know anything about it, and looked at me as if I was a bit daft, when I enquired at the front desk.

Thanks, like I said there were card slots at each elevator bank on Freedom of the Seas, but they could have been for emergancy override. I tried mySeapass once or twice and got a red light. So, I concluded they read the mag stripe but they didn't like mine.Thanks again

The Jade has the program in place and the Jewel and Star have it on board but no one knows about it, and on the Star they never turned on the system. I have an ongoing battle going to get this situation fixed fleetwide. I would love to have some of you get in on trying to get them to take action on this and the other special needs things that the ships have and no one on board knows about or uses.

I know they listen to cruise critic so hopefully that would help.

What is this overide system supposed to do?

Is it for emergencies?

The override system was originally designed to enable people with disabilities to "control" the elevator, at least while on it. On the NCL Jewel, for example, while able-bodied folks can enter the dining room from several levels (going up or down a flight of stairs, or from two different floors), those of us who use wheelchairs would need to be able to access the elevator and (in my case) move down 3 levels to get to a side access door to the dining venue.

If I had the override card, I could have "called" the only elevator in the bank of elevators that had the card system installed and that went to the 6th level, and brought that elevator specifically to my level, then take it to the level I needed to get to the dining all.

Without the override card, I'd have to get on any elevator at the bank, ride it down to the 7th level, then wait for the one and only elevator that went to the 6th level, where my access to the dining room was.

So it meant getting out of an elevator into a crowd of people who were progressing down the stairs to the dining hall, move to the one elevator that had access to the 6th level, wait til people flooded out of that elevator, tripping over me -- and if I was fortunate enough to be close enough to commandeer it, get on that elevator and go down one more level to the dining venue. A hassle.

I know exactly what your talking about on the NCL ships at least. The AFT set of elevators (the one all the way on the right) had that slot to insert your seapass, and i figured that's what it was for, but for some reason did not work, or as you say, was never activated. Boy, it was such a pain being on a different floor and getting to the DR, you had to cross your fingers and pray that the elevator on the right showed up. If not, you had to exit on the lowest floor it would go and push the down arrow for it to come. Was like elevator roulette :p

Those are very good descriptions of the problem and as I say several of the NCL ships have the system and several of those don't know they have it or it is not enabled for HC guests. There is NO excuse for that and we need to get that changed. I called about it again last week and was told they did not have it on the Star, I assured them they did, they said that I should call the front desk and have the Staff Captain called whenever I needed the elevator and HE would come and call it for me!!!

Can You Imagine THat?

Once I get the name of the right person at a higher level, I will post the information here and hopefully all of you that have sailed NCL and had this elevator problem with then right to them, give them you latitudes number so they can see you have sailed with them and are not just petition signers with no vested interest, and hopefully if they get several letters from actual disabled guests. they WILL start using the systems they have in place and tout in there, " Oh We Care So Much About Our Special Needs Guests"

along with this would be broken lifts, either the type designed to get a wheelchair to the dock or tender, pool lifts, automatic doors that aren't working etc.

Those are very good descriptions of the problem and as I say several of the NCL ships have the system and several of those don't know they have it or it is not enabled for HC guests. There is NO excuse for that and we need to get that changed. I called about it again last week and was told they did not have it on the Star, I assured them they did, they said that I should call the front desk and have the Staff Captain called whenever I needed the elevator and HE would come and call it for me!!!

Can You Imagine THat?

Once I get the name of the right person at a higher level, I will post the information here and hopefully all of you that have sailed NCL and had this elevator problem with then right to them, give them you latitudes number so they can see you have sailed with them and are not just petition signers with no vested interest, and hopefully if they get several letters from actual disabled guests. they WILL start using the systems they have in place and tout in there, " Oh We Care So Much About Our Special Needs Guests"

along with this would be broken lifts, either the type designed to get a wheelchair to the dock or tender, pool lifts, automatic doors that aren't working etc.

Are you serious?......Wow, those are some tip top customer service reps they got working over there at NCL huh?.....LOL

It just annoys me the fact that these people work for the cruise line but are so clueless about the ships themselves. If you would like someone else to hound NCL about this, im game :p

I'm confused about the elevator override possibilities. If someone uses an override card to call the elevator, what happens to the people who are already on it? What stops the people waiting for an elevator on the floor it was called to from filling it up? In other words, who is in control of other people? I use a "Go-Go" and would be delighted to get on and off (it would be easier on my nerves) without disturbing several others but just cannot picture how it would work. Has anyone got any answers to that? Hope someone can set me straight since we will be going on the Radiance in November. I figured we would have to go down to dinner early to miss the crowd and wait in the lobby. I plan to use my walker for the buffet because it has a seat and I can set a plate on it which works well if I take my time. I can use either the scooter or the walker to carry my oxygen which also helps.

Kay

Kay, The idea is that you can call the elevator to the floor you are on particularly when there is just ONE elevator that goes to a certain floor. Otherwise you have to wait through many elevator callings and stops in order to get THAT elevator to stop on your floor. It does not guarantee the elevator is empty when it stops on your floor, as for people rushing in ahead of you, just be as close to the door as you can without totally blocking it for passengers disembarking the elevator.

Even with the card if the elevator stops and it is full and no one gets off you would have to wait till it goes on and then recall it and hope there is room that time.

The system is not fool proof, like a dedicated to HC passengers elevator or something but it is certainly better then the push the button and wait and hope for the best.

Arwenmark: Thanks for the info. Every little bit helps. As long as we know what to expect, we can handle it. This will be our first cruise since they put me on such a short leash so I have a lot to learn between now and when we board. I've already made arrangements to get oxygen on board plus a regular concentrator. We will be taking my go-go, walker and portable concentrator. If we have any room left, we will also take some luggage.

Kay

Kay2 your oxygen stuff and your walker, scooter, wheelchair do not count as luggage on any canadianéUS airplanes. So just tell.show that the extra luggage is for your support stuff and you will not pay for it. You are still entiled to your normal baggage stuff ie 2 pieces of checked luggage and two carry-on. Also info the airline about your oxygen needs for the trip and they will assit you in this.

CaptData: Thanks for your concern. That was just my wierd sense of humor. The oxygen and concentrator are for the cruise (they have to be delivered to our cabin). We will be driving to San Diego from the Phoenix area so the only problem with the luggage is me. I pretty much have it down to a science however. One suitcase and a tote bag for toiletries should do it for me and the same for Ben. We are planning to drive over a day early and stay overnight near the pier, leaving the van at the hotel or at the pier. We still have to make those arrangements but plan to make a short trip to San Diego, to look things over, before we decide. We will probably do that in June. Nice to have that freedom.

Kay

Archived