what to do in Liverpool, car rentals near port?

kwcrnp

We'll be in Liverpool on June 29th and aren't sure what to do. We are not big Beatles fans so that doesn't interest us. We were thinking about renting a car and going into Whales but we're having a hard time finding out if there are car rentals near the port. We don't want to waste time going to the airport etc. to get a car.

Any suggestions are appreciated!

It might be worth having a look at Easycar.com - an offshoot of Easyjet, one of Europe's leading budget airlines, it appears from the website that you can collect from Trafalgar Dock.

Liverpool is still worth visiting for it's own sake, however, even if you are not interested in the Beatles; it is of major historical interest and has some pretty spectacular buildings (The Three Graces, St George's Hall, the two cathedrals, several art galleries and museums) and an interesting atmosphere in general.

If you are interested in landscapes then Wales may be a good idea (if the weather is ok; if not it can be grim). Snowdonia is beautiful, but the coastal strip is pretty horrible until you reach the likes of Colwyn Bay and Llandudno.

Chester is also within easy reach by car or train.

Manchester is very close by train - England's second city after London (tho' Birmingham may dispute this) - a bustling, cosmopolitan place, good for shopping and industrial history - it claims to be the world's first ever industrial city. The world's first passenger rail service ran between Liverpool and Manchester.

If you do drive, you may wish to consider going slightly off the beaten track and touring my home county, Cheshire, which has lots of pretty villages and a gentle, typically English rural landscape.

It just depends on your particular interests - this area of the UK is full of contrasts.

You may be interested to read a thread I started for this very purpose. Here's a link.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=907552

If you want any more info then just post a question on that thread and I'll be happy to help. There are also some roll call threads for Princess British Isles cruises where they are discussing Liverpool ideas. I'm glad to help anyone enjoy my city. By the way, all the things Longtonian said about other places are true. Manchester is great, as are Cheshire and North Wales, but you can spend a whole day in Liverpool and still have plenty left to see.

HAPPY ST GEORGE'S DAY!!

Archived