NEW COMMERCIAL – ‘What is FUN?’ effective? makes you want to cruise? did they listen?

falkcor

What's Your Favorite Carnival Commercial?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. What's Your Favorite Carnival Commercial?

• THIS IS THE BEST CARNIVAL COMMERCIAL EVER
    • I LIKE THE ‘WHAT DOES THIS ONE DO?... GET OUT’ (BLOW HORN) COMMERCIALS
    • I LIKE THE ‘NEW SHIP SMELL’ COMMERCIALS
    • I LIKE THE ‘TOWEL ANIMAL / STEWARD’ COMMERCIALS
    • I LIKE THE ‘BUCKLE UP, BUTTERCUP’ COMMERCIALS
    • I LIKE THE ‘BEACH BALL’ COMMERCIALS
    • I LIKE THE ‘PINATA’ COMMERCIALS
    • I LIKE THE 2000’S ERA (BUT NOT MOST RECENT) COMMERCIALS
    • I LIKE THE 1990’S ERA COMMERCIALS
    • I SPECIFICALLY LIKE THE KATHY LEE COMMERCIALS
    • I LIKE THE OLDER CARNIVAL COMMERCIALS, THE BEST (POST DETAILS, LINKS?, BELOW)
    • I DON’T LIKE ANY OF THEM!

I just saw what may be the best Carnival commercial (especially in terms of effectiveness, in my opinion) I’ve ever come across… Definitely the best of the new lot, though I can’t speak to the Kathy Lee era commercials, and all, I think it’s pretty brilliant…

So I decided to start this thread….

Ok, so whether you consider the basis of a commercial on whether it makes you want to cruise, or because it’s just memorable, or expresses a message efficiently, or because it’s a brilliant piece of marketing – I think this one has some merits…

One thing to make note of, is that it’s actually a full minute ad, which isn’t typical for cruises or travel in general – more often 30 seconds is the standard. And I’ll just say this one packs a heck of a lot into a minute, and really establishes a narrative that makes you want to cruise – whether you have before, or not.

Secondarily, I’d say that this is a successful piece of advertising, because it conveys a lot of the detail information (see below) to people who maybe haven’t considered cruising, or Carnival, in the past – and it’s a convincing narrative…

I’ll just be the first to say to all of those who’ve had qualms with Carnival’s recent advertising campaign, that it appears they’ve been listening? Many have said the new commercials were obtuse and odd (much like nation of why not) and doesn’t covey a clear message…

The most frequent dissenting comments have been primarily focused I’d say on the fact that their random, though perhaps fun, commercials don’t make you want to cruise, and therein aren’t successful marketing… Well, I think they addressed it here… And in an accessible manner that appeals to cruise newbies too…

I’ve never even commented on a commercial thread before… Frankly, I haven’t liked most I’ve seen, though admittedly I haven’t paid much attention before the most recent batch, which I didn’t care for… But personally, I just thought this was really great advertisement (having some experience in the industry)…

Plus, I got it on my DVR, so I thought I’d transcribe it for those of you who haven’t seen it yet, but I know would want to hear about it…

All of the current (except this one) carnival commercials (including 2-7) are available here:

http://www.carnival.com/cms/funville/default.aspx?utm_source=carnivalnav

Transcript (yes, I did actually transcribe from my DVR – it’s ok, I type fast)… after the jump in full:

NOTE:

italics lower case = stage directions / point of visual reference

BOLD CAPS = MESSAGE ON TOP OF SCREEN (THERE AT ALL TIMES)

'Quoted Text in Upper Case' = 'fun director' dialogue

* for lack of a better term, i'm calling that guy the 'fun director'. you know who i mean :D

carnival cruise ‘fun director’ appears, standing on the jogging track, while a jogger passes left and happy families are sitting on the balcony space beyond

3 NIGHT CRUISES STARTING AT $349

‘What is fun?’

‘Is it the stuff that blasts away stress like a fire hose filled with happiness molecules…’

fun director continues to walk along jogging track, right, and funnel and name, CARNIVAL PARADISE comes into view

YOUR CRUISE INCLUDES BROADWAY STYLE ENTERTAINMENT

‘And how do we have fun?’

dancer / show girl appears from left, with full headdress

‘Oh wow, that’s an intense looking… Maybe less plumage?’

dancer walks off left

‘Thank you.’

YOUR CRUISE INCLUDES SUPERVISED FUN FOR KIDS

‘Well over the years we’ve developed a precise formula of waterslides, camps for the kids, and dolphin…’

a line of kids, dressed up and obviously with a camp carnival group scurry by along the jogging track and one kid raises his sword to the ‘fun director’ and says in a gnarly voice ‘YAAARRR’

‘Avast’, the fun director replies as he raises his arm to the child… in a fun way…

‘And dolphin rides, and hot stone massages…’

YOUR CRUISE INCLUDES TASTY GOURMET FOOD

chef comes in view from left, carrying platter of 5 lobster tails, 2 rows of shrimp, garnished with cut lemons, limes, rosemary and romaine lettuce

‘And delicious lobster, which when mixed together really seems to do the trick’

chef exits left, fun director continues walking clockwise around track, funnel still in view, an island coming in view from the right (port) side at aft of the ship

YOUR CRUISE INCLUDES LOTS MORE, TOO

‘So when you’re ready for some vacation fun, leave it to the fun experts… ‘

young couple enters from left, arm-in-arm, backs turned to camera… the young male has a towel thrown over his shoulder

’fun director’ takes the towel from the male’s shoulder as he walks by – young male turns to look, like, wth?

‘The people who took this, no fun, dull, lifeless… a little damp, thank you.’

3 NIGHT CRUISES STARTING AT $349

’fun director’ returns the towel, couple exits left

cabin steward appears from right, island coming into view – with a tray with a towel animal (dog) on it, as ‘fun director’ embraces and picks up the towel animal…

‘And turned it into this… Super fun, and adorable… Why does it work, we don’t know, it’s a mystery… Much like how you can’t put a price on fun… But we can…’

dancer from earlier in the ad walks in from left, with totally different costume – this time white with a beaded headdress… ‘fun director’ looks surprised.

‘Wow, nice adjustment.’

3 NIGHT CRUISES STARTING AT $349 (FULL SCREEN, SPINNING)

BOOK TODAY AND GET up to $50 CASH BACK

*fine print: cash back issued as refundable onboard credit. May not be applied to cruise fare of gov’t taxes and fees. Add’l terms apply. See carnival.com/cashback for details

FUN FOR ALL, ALL FOR FUN (FULL SCREEN, SPINNING)

FUNNEL APPEARS

‘anchors away’ finishes (dum, dum, dum dum de dum, dum de dum de dum de dum de DUM)

CARNIVAL HORN BLOWS…. BWWWWAAAOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHH

The new commercials are cute for viewing one time. But I think they will mean more to someone who has cruised before. The commercials a few years ago would do a better job enticing a novice to try cruising.

I 100% Agree

I have not seen the new commercial, but am looking forward to it.

As for the other commercials, I may be different, but I found them fun and love watching them over and over. I think the "talent", as one put it, does a great job in his role.

New cruisers, well, I know some and they do get the gist of the commercial, they also find them fun and want to know more.

I think, just as in everything about cruising, it is all relative, we either like or we do not like, does not make it right or wrong, just makes it our opinion.

Archived