thinking about an Alaskan cruise

I've never been on one but I've wanted to for a long time. It seems that most cruises are one-ways. Many either beginning or ending in Vancouver and Seward.

Would this be a good cruise to try a B2B? Not only would 14 days be great, but airfare might be a little more economical too rather than having to pay for two one-way tickets.

On the other hand, is this TOO much for Alaska and be redundant going to the same ports twice?

This would fulfill a dream of min...a back to back Alaskan cruise.

Although, I'd porbably look for two seperate cruises, even different lines, with time in between in either Seward or Vancouver. There are so many choices of things to do in each port and you can only make one or two choices each time, it sounds perfect to visit ports twice. I might get weary of the same food and entertainment doing a B2B on the same ship.

There are some Alaska cruises that start and return to Seattle. This is what we did, primarily to save on airfare.

I thought about that as well. However, that means the ship does not go all the up to Seward. This is why I was wondering, would I really be missing some neat sites traveling all the way up there? Or is it not that big of a deal?

Just trying to get some thoughts from others.

There are more ships that do roundtrips from Seattle or Vancouver than do one-ways between Vancouver and Whittier/Seward. But since you have 14 days for an Alaska trip, I would either do a one-way trip plus a land trip, or two one-way cruises - but on different ships. For example, since this is the RCI board, you could do a northbound cruise to Seward on Radiance on Friday, stay in Seward and/or go to Anchorage for 2 days, then do a southbound cruise on a HAL ship out of Seward on Sunday that goes to Glacier Bay and College Fjord. You could also do a Saturday or Monday southbound cruise on Princess out of Whittier.

I thought about that as well. However, that means the ship does not go all the up to Seward. This is why I was wondering, would I really be missing some neat sites traveling all the way up there? Or is it not that big of a deal?

Just trying to get some thoughts from others.

The primary reason to take a one way cruise rather than a round-trip from Vancouver or Seattle, is to add a land tour which will take you into the interior of Alaska so that you can see the remarkable beauty of Denali, Fairbanks, the Chugach mountains, and the areas in and around Anchorage. If you check carefully you may also find that open-jaw flights where you fly into one airport but home from another can be closer in price to roudtrips than you might imagine. Check out the cruiseline's custom air which can sometimes be lower than what you would get on your own.

Aside from not sailing across he Gulf of Alaska into or out of Seward you won't miss much during your roundtrip cruise but, limiting your trip to a cruise only, means you will have missed seeing a very fascinating portion of Alaska. Unless you know for certain that this will be only the first of many trips to Alaska, I recommend that you plan a trip that shows you as much of this magnificent state as possible.

Since we live in So Calif, I have been looking at their 14 Day's either San Francisco to Vancouver, ( May) or Vancouver to San Diego which would be nice to end up close to home. ( Sept). My concern, are that May will be cold or Sept will be to late to go. Any input here. The other alternative would be a b2b in the summer out of Vancouver. Change in subject, our Kitty always ends up sitting in front on my monitor when I am posting.:D.

Since we live in So Calif, I have been looking at their 14 Day's either San Francisco to Vancouver, ( May) or Vancouver to San Diego which would be nice to end up close to home. ( Sept). My concern, are that May will be cold or Sept will be to late to go. Any input here. The other alternative would be a b2b in the summer out of Vancouver. Change in subject, our Kitty always ends up sitting in front on my monitor when I am posting.:D.

We went to Alaska in late May and early June and the reception center at Portage Glacier (south of Anchorage) was not yet open and the parking lot still filled with snow). We experienced light snow flurries while we were in Denali, but for the rest of the trip I would not characterize te weather as "cold". Chilly at times certainly and in Glacier Bay, jackets, hats and gloves were de rigeur, but in the towns along the way, the temperatures were similar to what our friends were experiencing at the same time back in Boston. I would think that the diminished hours of daylight in Alaska in September would be a detriment but I know some who have done that Ultimate Alaska cruise and were very pleased with it. I know it doesn't make logistical sense, but a similar itinerary midway through the summer would certainly appeal to me.:)

We did a round trip from Seattle a few years ago mid-May, and saw a lot-30 some bears, eagles whales, deer, etc. The weather wasn't too bad. It was snowing mixed with sprinkles as we were pulling in to Juneau, but by the time we were on the excursion, it was sunny and we were peeling off layers. We were always able to take the excursions without rain gear because the weather always cleared up. This time, we're doing a B2B from Vancouver, and so much looking forward to the additional time. Alaska in an amazing, beautiful place.

We were on the rhapsody last Aug left from seattle. Had a ball it was the best cruise even though my hip was very bad and we were limited on excursions. Alaska is a must see in my book! try to do the train ride which actually goes through canada yes the train gets stopped at the border and all passports were checked TWICE, also bring warm jacket even in Aug it can be very chilly. Hope u decide 2 go on the cruise now that my hip is replaced we will be returning there in the next few years. Oh almost forgot you need a balcony to view the scenery,when we went to the fjiord the captain turned the boat 360 degrees very slowly we sat on our balcony and enjoyed an unobstructed view.:D:D

Bill my husband & I flew to Ancorage a few years ago and did alot of traveling around, so when we do decide to go, it will be mainly a cruise and visiting the towns that we come to. When we were there, it was in April, and we had snow traveling to Fairbanks. We also went up to Kenai for a few days before staying in Anchorage and did our traveling from there. Kenai was gorgeous.

Our last Alaska cruise, we went northbound from Vancouver to Whittier. It was fantastic. Our only regret, we didn't do the land trip to Denali at the end. It was the end of July and we still wore layers but we were very comfortable.

This cruise we are going round trip from Vancouver at the end of May. Expect it to be cooler but still comfortable.

I agree with the other posters that different lines with different stops would be perfect.

Definetly do the land trip. We will get that one done yet.:)

Karen our drive to Kenai was a gorgeous drive with those high peaks full of snow. The following morning we woke up to snow and 25 degrees. We were there for 3 days then drove back to Anchorage for our remaining stay and sightseeing which included Denali. However we were only able to go in a short way, but did see the Lodge. We also took a train to take a Glacier Tour. This is the reason our cruise would be mainly the cruise without the land tours. Alaska is beautiful and we were glad we were able to enjoy the indland sights.

Gay

Archived