Whistler

We would like to drive up to Whistler after our Alaska cruise. We disembark in Seattle and will fly to Vancouver, rent a car and head toward Whistler. I predict we'll be pretty tired after flying to Vancouver, renting a car, etc., so we'd like to spend the night on the outskirts of Vancouver near the road to Whistler. What hotels are in the area and what area would I search for? We want to drive to Whistler in the daytime the next morning so we can enjoy the view! Thanks for your help, everyone!

I posted the following on the other thread that you ask for information on - saw it first - if these links aren't live just go to the thread and they will take you there

I might be inclined to recommend that you stay in North Vancouver - just across the Lions Gate Bridge from downtown Vancouver there are a number of hotels and motels - one advantage of staying here is that you have crossed the bridge and will have one less thing to worry about in the morning when the traffic will be two lanes the opposite of the direction you would be going.

As for the drive - the highway is being rebuilt, reconfigured call it what you want - it is about 80% complete with only a stretch going through the town of Squamish and another near Whistler where any heavy work is still going on - I drove up part way a week ago and was very pleasantly surprised how much better the drive was. It would be about 2 hours if you drive straight through but add an hour if you are going to stop at the various sites along the route.

There are lots of sites to see on the way up - if you check out my blog you will get an idea of some of them.

http://yvrcruiser.blogspot.com/2009/...ighway-99.html

Others that aren't listed there include Brandywine Falls, CalChek Suspension Bridge, Alice Lake Park.

If you want to see where some of the Olympic competitions are taking place take some time and drive in - it's paved - to the Whistler Olympic Park - you might just see a bear or two on the road as well.

http://www.whistlerolympicpark.com/

In Whistler - just park your car and enjoy the village - it was designed to be ped friendly.

A short 10 -15 stroll from the Village brings you to Lost Lake Park - swimming, picnicking etc.

You might about want to think about renting a bike and doing the Valley Trail past a spot called the River of Golden Dreams.

Here's a link to Tourism Whistler web site

http://www.whistler.com/about/

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

Here is my post from the Vancouver thread:

"Some of the motels on the North Shore would include, Best Western-Capilano, North Vancouver Hotel (really a motel), the Grouse Inn, Comfort Inn and a Travel Lodge, all of these are motel type properties. There is also the Lonsdale Quay Hotel and Holiday Inn which are hotels. Frankly, as much as I am a North Shore guy, you are not going to save much time by staying on the the "Shore" ....perhaps 10 or 15 minutes max. So if it were me I would be inclined to bid a 4* hotel on Priceline.com in downtown Vancouver as they seem to be picked off for in the $100 to $150 range. :) "

Here is my post from the Vancouver thread:

"Some of the motels on the North Shore would include, Best Western-Capilano, North Vancouver Hotel (really a motel), the Grouse Inn, Comfort Inn and a Travel Lodge, all of these are motel type properties. There is also the Lonsdale Quay Hotel and Holiday Inn which are hotels. Frankly, as much as I am a North Shore guy, you are not going to save much time by staying on the the "Shore" ....perhaps 10 or 15 minutes max. So if it were me I would be inclined to bid a 4* hotel on Priceline.com in downtown Vancouver as they seem to be picked off for in the $100 to $150 range. :) "

My husband and I just discussed this the other day with regards to advice we were giving a friend. We think it is easier to stay downtown and then cut through Stanley Park. It's too bad there isn't some wonderful little inn in Dundarave or Ambleside, but I guess the real estate is too expensive.

Also, one place that people don't mention in discussions of stops on the way up to Whistler is Lighthouse Park in West Vancouver. It has never been logged and the trees are majestic. You can take a little jog off Hwy 1 onto Marine Drive and follow it all the way around to Horseshoe Bay.

http://www.britishcolumbia.com/parks/?id=485

Viv

My husband and I just discussed this the other day with regards to advice we were giving a friend. We think it is easier to stay downtown and then cut through Stanley Park. It's too bad there isn't some wonderful little inn in Dundarave or Ambleside, but I guess the real estate is too expensive.

Viv

Yes, that is the problem, you may remember there used to be the wonderful little Park Royal Hotel on the west bank of the Capilano River just north of Marine Dr. Gone....there is now a very large condo on the site.:eek:

I would like to recommend the Lonsdale Quay Hotel as it has a great location but we stayed there in October and just found it unimpressive. With the Holiday Inn at the north end of 2nd Narrows Bridge (old Coach House Inn site) it is expensive and in a very isolated location.

• 2 weeks later...
We would like to drive up to Whistler after our Alaska cruise. We disembark in Seattle and will fly to Vancouver, rent a car and head toward Whistler. I predict we'll be pretty tired after flying to Vancouver, renting a car, etc., so we'd like to spend the night on the outskirts of Vancouver near the road to Whistler. What hotels are in the area and what area would I search for? We want to drive to Whistler in the daytime the next morning so we can enjoy the view! Thanks for your help, everyone!
If money is no object ;), consider the train from Vancouver to Whistler, the Whistler Mountaineer. They will pick you up the morning of your trip at many Vancouver hotels and whisk you to the depot in North Vancouver. This was one of the best trips we have ever taken (in September after a cruise). Talk about views!

If money is no object ;), consider the train from Vancouver to Whistler, the Whistler Mountaineer. They will pick you up the morning of your trip at many Vancouver hotels and whisk you to the depot in North Vancouver. This was one of the best trips we have ever taken (in September after a cruise). Talk about views!

I have to agree, I have driven to Whistler on more occasions than I can count but having done it once by train....well there is no comparison, particularly from Horseshoe Bay on up to Squamish at the head of Howe Sound.

Archived