Peterhof Palace and Parks vs Peterhof Parks and Catherine Palace

Wow, What great photos. I'm glad we are planning on seeing both. Rick

THANKS for the "Wow"! It sounds good. The larger pictures make a huge difference for sensing what you'll see there. Seeing is believing. Here are some more from inside and outside at Catherine's Palace. Will have some added pictures from the Peterhof. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

1A-StP-CathPalExterior.jpg

1A-StP-InteriorCath.jpg

1A-StP-CathPalInterior.jpg

1A-StP-Inter2CathPal.jpg

1A-StP-CathPalIntFurn.jpg

Terry, I want your camera. It takes great pictures. Ya done good.\ You're right. Do as much as you can while you're there. It is a great experience and once in a lifetime.

Da Bear

THANKS, Da Bear, for the nice and kind comments!

It's a little more than just my "camera". It's a Nikon D50 SLR. Good, but not at the super pro level. Lots of people have cameras at and near that quality or comparable. These days, the digital technology has improved so much that nearly everyone can take good to great pictures. Here are some of my tips, secrets and suggestions.

1. ZOOM/FRAMING: Fill the frame and make it interesting. Use your feet. Move closer. Zoom in or out. Make it tighter in the picture frame, etc. People don't want to be bored with a key subject or highlight being only in the middle 15% of the picture frame.

2. LENS: Many of the nice pictures in certain famed palaces and churches in Russia, etc., were taken with a new 10-20 mm lens that gives a wider angle view than average. That really helped create some picture "drama" without being too wide and distorted as can happen with a fish-eye lens. There are cases where that longer lens (have a 70-300 mm zoom) can really help. In many cases, my basic 18-55 mm zoom covers the basic middle range. It's nice to have one lens that covers all needs, but then you lose some in the desired picture quality.

3. LOTS OF PICTURES: With digital, it is much easier and cheaper to take lots of pictures, see what you have, take more pictures, try different angles, etc. In the old 35 mm film days, you could not take as many different pictures and you were always guessing and hoping on exposure, what you really captured, etc. Then you need to be checking as you go on what you just shot, blow off the duds, etc. It's great instant feed-back on what's working and what's not. As you are riding on a bus, waiting in line, that picture checking is a good way to both pass the time and monitor your picture progress/success (or failure).

4. STEADY HOLD: I mostly use the eyepiece viewer, not the back of camera viewing screen. That keeps the camera closer to my body and makes it more stable. Use your elbows against your body to brace the camera. I'll lean against walls or doorframes when taking certain inside pictures in low light situations to improve . . . stability! You don't want blurred and shaky pictures. Set the camera on walls, chairs, etc. Stability! Some think that if they push the button faster to take the picture, then it will be better. WRONG! Gently S-Q-U-E-E-Z-E that shutter button, slowly! It makes a major difference in picture quality.

5. PEOPLE: Having people as a part of the picture gives it context, interest, etc. Lots of "just the place" pictures are nice, but I have found that the ones with some human involvement and/or connection look and work better.

Below are a few added pictures from the two great Cathedrals in St. Petersburg.

Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

1A-StP-StIsaac2Int.jpg

1A-StP-St.jpg

1A-StP-StIsaacInt.jpg

1A-StP-ExtSpilledBld.jpg

1A-StP-SpilledBld.jpg

1A-StP-Spilled3Bld.jpg

Terry, I hope this doesn't sound condescending or patronizing in the least, but your photos almost bring tears to my eyes. They are truly humbling to say the least! You almost make me want to leave my camera at home, and just live my trip through YOUR eyes. You have such a gift, and thank you for sharing it so freely! Now I must ask,,,, do you have any objection if I print a couple of these pics that you've posted JUST to put in my personal "memory" album (& not reproducing them for any other purpose!) ?? I know I will never be able to take a photo to compare to these. ...And thank you again for being so generous to us all!

Terry, I hope this doesn't sound condescending or patronizing in the least, but your photos almost bring tears to my eyes. They are truly humbling to say the least! You almost make me want to leave my camera at home, and just live my trip through YOUR eyes. You have such a gift, and thank you for sharing it so freely! Now I must ask,,,, do you have any objection if I print a couple of these pics that you've posted JUST to put in my personal "memory" album (& not reproducing them for any other purpose!) ?? I know I will never be able to take a photo to compare to these. ...And thank you again for being so generous to us all!

Your pictures are amazing. I may have you share your pictures with us when we return because I can guarantee our pictures will not be so good!! Wow, is all I can say!!

THANKS to Kennetro and luv2travel3 for the kind comments! Much credit must go to St. Petersburg and the work in recent years to restore and bring these "jewels" back to their original glory. If you take pictures of "stars", it makes the photographer look. Feel free to use for your personal memory albums. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Dear Dance4fun - we did the Baltic cruise on the constellation last August - amazing cruise! we used Red october (met 4 other couples on the connections board) - did their two day tour - just great! We went to everything, including the inside of both palaces, gardens, Hermitage, etc., canal cruise, all noted sites. Our tour guide was wonderful, very knowledgeable (she was a teacher during the year) and able to get in ahead of the crowds (huge crowds with the ships' tours) Just be prepared to be very tired. St. Pete's was beautiful and wonderful! Enjoy!

vicky

Based on our experience the entrance to the Catherine's Palace was easier with a small private group. There are two places that require entry. The first at the 'golden gate' was easy to bypass with our guide who 'knew the ropes', but at the main building entrance all groups had to wait their turn to get inside. Several guides tried to bypass this system, but at least during our visit, they were all rebuffed.

It didn't take long, but it was the only place where we could not bypass the rest of the waiting people.

Our experience at the Hermitage was also smooth. It simply meant that we wanted to keep that for the afternoon. Thus we entered without any lines, fewer crowds and saw the architecture of the palace and some of the art works from about 2:00 pm on.

If you sign up with a private tour operator you might enquire about this arrangement.

Based on our experience the entrance to the Catherine's Palace was easier with a small private group. There are two places that require entry. The first at the 'golden gate' was easy to bypass with our guide who 'knew the ropes', but at the main building entrance all groups had to wait their turn to get inside. Several guides tried to bypass this system, but at least during our visit, they were all rebuffed. It didn't take long, but it was the only place where we could not bypass the rest of the waiting people. Our experience at the Hermitage was also smooth. It simply meant that we wanted to keep that for the afternoon. Thus we entered without any lines, fewer crowds and saw the architecture of the palace and some of the art works from about 2:00 pm on.

Agree and want to second strongly Lair Bear on one of the key advantages of doing a private tour and being in a small group of just four or six people. With that skilled guide, they know how to move, adjust and be in the right place at the right time. It's the same reason why a speed boat can adjust and shift faster than a large battleship. Watching the large groups of 30-40 people trying to move around, everyone to hear, etc. was painful and made us glad we had made the better arrangements with a private tour through a good company and having a great personal guide.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

• 3 weeks later...

Hi NVCLVR, We're going to St. Petereburg in August on Crystal and are wondering if the Imperial Evening at Catherine's Palace shows you enough that you don't need to make a seperate day tour of the Palace? We are 'relaxing' cruisers and, with so much to see (we are planning private tours with DenRus), if the evening event shows the basics, we would have more time during the days. Thank you

Hi NVCLVR, We're going to St. Petereburg in August on Crystal and are wondering if the Imperial Evening at Catherine's Palace shows you enough that you don't need to make a seperate day tour of the Palace? We are 'relaxing' cruisers and, with so much to see (we are planning private tours with DenRus), if the evening event shows the basics, we would have more time during the days. Thank you

Actually you see a lot less of the palace, there is a show and that takes most of the time.

The day program is a must if you intend to take photos because the exterior,while lit is not seen in such amazing detail at night. In August, White Nights will be over so it will be darker.

For other posters asking about lines, large or small groups all have the same restrictions but overall there are few lines anywhere with an organized tour. Some venues have separate entrances for tour groups such as the Hermitage.

Fixed appointment times have priority over tours that wing it but generally neither is a problem. The only lines this season that are causing problems is for passport control the morning of the first day.

A few people asked about photos tickets. There are tickets for still cameras and for video cameras and they are generally less than the price of a regular entrance ticket. Some tour companies include still camera tickets for free with some tours but not video tickets which are higher and fewer people want video tickets.

Many rooms in art galleries do not allow any photos, particularly if they include visiting exhibits, paintings from loan/exchange programs of other museums in foreign countries. Those lending museums in the West normally restrict photos of their exhibits due to copyright issues.

A few people asked about photos tickets. There are tickets for still cameras and for video cameras and they are generally less than the price of a regular entrance ticket. Many rooms in art galleries do not allow any photos, particularly if they include visiting exhibits, paintings from loan/exchange programs of other museums in foreign countries. Those lending museums in the West normally restrict photos of their exhibits due to copyright issues.

We had NO PROBLEMS last summer at the Hermitage in ALL of the rooms with taking pictures of their wonderful regular collection. We didn't do any visiting exhibits there. The Hermitage regular collection is the world-class superstar! We had the photo sticker/pass for the Hermitage. It cost 100 rubles or about $3. The photo sticker/pass was 50 rubles each for the two different great Cathedrals in main St. Petersburg. No photo restrictions there. In Paris, Vienna, London, Oslo, etc., we have not had any problems taking pictures of their regular collections.

Below are a few picture examples from inside the Hermitage and Cathedrals.

In the Hermitage with the great art by Da Vinci, Rembrandt, etc.

1A-StP-HermitageGen.jpg

1A-StP-HermitageDaVinciViewing.jpg

1A-StP-Hermt-RemProd.jpg

1A-StP-HermitageGalleries.jpg

From the interiors of the two great Cathedrals in St. Petersburg:

1A-StP-StIsaacInt-1.jpg

1A-StP-SpilledBld.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
We had NO PROBLEMS last summer at the Hermitage in ALL of the rooms with taking pictures of their wonderful regular collection. We didn't do any visiting exhibits there. The Hermitage regular collection is the world-class superstar! We had the photo sticker/pass for the Hermitage. It cost 100 rubles or about $3. The photo sticker/pass was 50 rubles each for the two different great Cathedrals in main St. Petersburg. No photo restrictions there. In Paris, Vienna, London, Oslo, etc., we have not had any problems taking pictures of their regular collections.

Below are a few picture examples from inside the Hermitage and Cathedrals.

Your pictures helped inspire me to invest in an ultrawide angle lens. I purchased a Sigma 10-20mm lens for my Nikon D50.

Do you have any tips on getting the most out of the lens on our Baltic Sea cruise? For example, is a circular polarizer filter a "must" for the lens?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there,

I am working on an itinerary with one of the private tour companies. We are planning on going to Catherine's Palace. They suggest skipping the Peterhof Palace and doing only the Peterhof Park Tour in order to save time and boredom of seeing too many palaces. What do you think?

Thanks!

YES, thanks for the kind comments. When do WE depart? I'm game and ready. It's the best offer I've had this month. Sounds great!

Your pictures are great ! What kind of camera did you use ? Was there a flash? They are obviously taken inside a church, but they are nice and bright. I had problems with my digital camera this summer in Rome, and all my pictures taken inside churches with or without flash came out too dark. So, any help for future visits would be appreciated ! Thanks very much ! :)

Your pictures are great ! What kind of camera did you use ? Was there a flash? They are obviously taken inside a church, but they are nice and bright. I had problems with my digital camera this summer in Rome, and all my pictures taken inside churches with or without flash came out too dark. So, any help for future visits would be appreciated ! Thanks very much ! :)

Sorry, I didn't read far enough. I found the info on your camera on a later post. Your photos are wonderful ! Thanks for sharing. :o

Sticky28 -

I completely agree with that suggestion! Ask for early admission (9am) to Catherine's Palace, and if you're with a private group of a few, your guide will be able to skirt you past the large groups as you go room to room.

Another timesaver and unique experience .... Take the hydrofoil from Peterhoff across to the Hermitage.

Happy, safe travels to you!

Michelle

Archived