Zuiderdam Panama Canal Cruise

rosey1946

We just finished a cruise on the Zuiderdam to the Panama Canal. Three days into the cruise my friend fell on the Lido flooring by an eating area. She is very badly injured on her face and knee. The floor was wet and it seems that other people also fell in this area as several passengers approached my friend and told her they fell also. What I am upset about is the reaction of the front desk staff. We had booked air through HAL. They scheduled us to fly home from FT. Lauderdale to Minneapolis to NY. Travel time leave ship at 10 am arrive NY at 10:50 PM. We wanted this changed before the cruise, to no avail. I begged them to change the flights to a direct one after my friend's injury and was offered first class for additional cost of $500 per ticket. Nothing else could be done for us we were informed. My friend was given pain killers by the medical staff to enable her to get home. Without the medication she would have been in agony sitting on a plane for a total of 6 hours with no way to move her knee.

The last non service we received from HAL was no wheelchair as promised on the pier to get her to the bus for the airport. I was assured we would be helped with luggage and wheelchair. There was nothing arranged when we left the ship.

This situation isn't a question of complaining about the usual problems on a cruise ship. This was neglegence and total non-caring to a 75 year old woman who had terrible injuries and pain occuring on the ship.

I want to warn others to rethink cruising with this line.

We requested wheelchair assist for my husband leaving the ship and they arrived at our cabin when our departure time was called and the ship's helper (a waiter from the Pinacle) waited until he boarded the bus and helped me move the luggage to the appropriate spot after the porter placed it in a waiting area. It sounds like there was some miscommunication on someone's part - we had nothing but excellent help when we requested it.

I don't think this was miscommunionication. I think you were lucky. The entire incident regarding my friend's injury was handled badly. I do want to commend the medical department, however, and the pier staff who helped us on the spot. I called the front desk supervisor twice and went to the desk to ask for assistance leaving the ship. She assured me we would be taken care of. Nothing was done.

The difference between HAL and NCL is incredible. I caught the ship virus sickness this past Dec. on NCL. I was called constantly, special meals were prepared for me, and I received $100 off my account. All we wanted from HAL, was help getting off the ship, and a change in air schedule for a lady who was suffering. My friend would never complain. She is a wonderful person and to see her in such pain with no one helping her, was devastating for me.

Archived