Where is the best snorkeling?

laura29

I will be visiting Jamaica, Cozumel, and Grand Cayman.....I am thinking the Grand Cayman will have the best snorkeling. What do you think the best sites are for snorkeling and do you have any suggestions for snorkel tours?

Thanks, Laura

Snorkeling in Cayman was better than in Cozumel; did not snorkel in Ocho Rios. Best snorkeling I did was on the reef near Stingray City - lots of different fish, coral, and even a "friendly" moray eel. I was very happy with the Moby Dick tour, but there are others with good reviews. Good luck!:)

I will be visiting Jamaica, Cozumel, and Grand Cayman.....I am thinking the Grand Cayman will have the best snorkeling. What do you think the best sites are for snorkeling and do you have any suggestions for snorkel tours?

Thanks, Laura

I believe you are correct in that the Cayman Islands offer the best snorkeling. I highly recommned Capt Marvin's. He is located on the main drag west of the pier within walking distance. He has a web site (just Goggle it). His staff are great and we had an absolute ball with them. Book it yourself and you will save vice the cruise lines. He has a nice trip that hits the Coral gardens, the main reef, and Stingray city which is not to be missed. Ultra clear water and very warm water to boot. I'd rather snorkel here than Hawaii.

Enjoy!!

Cheers, Kenn

If you don't want to book a tour, I'd recommend Edens Rock. Once you get off the tender, walk to the right and keep going until you see the diving flag (it's not a long walk).

114830.jpg

You can't miss it. They rent snorkel gear and have lockers available. There's a restaurant and bathrooms too. It was easy snorkeling and a lot of fish. If you click on the "pictures" link in my signature, after Mariner December 14, 2008 then under Thursday you'll see our pics and some video from Eden's Rock.

If you don't want to book a tour, I'd recommend Edens Rock. Once you get off the tender, walk to the right and keep going until you see the diving flag (it's not a long walk).

114830.jpg

You can't miss it. They rent snorkel gear and have lockers available. There's a restaurant and bathrooms too. It was easy snorkeling and a lot of fish. If you click on the "pictures" link in my signature, after Mariner December 14, 2008 then under Thursday you'll see our pics and some video from Eden's Rock.

Hi Amanda!! Just wondering how much it costs? Do you think after an excurion to Stingray City we would have enough time to come here as well? :o

All the ones listed are great but I would recommend just grabbing a cab when you get off the ship and asking him to take you either to Cemetary Reef or Smith's Cove. Not as crowded and alot less expensive than booking an excursion. If you are wanting to go to SRC most company's offer a SRC + Snorkeling at Coral Gardens package. Both are wonderful. We used Captain Dexter and he took us to a couple of different snorkeling locations after our trip to SRC.

Lindsey, I have my own gear so the price to rent gear for my fiance plus a vest for me was about $30-40 or so. I think the locker was free.

I was originally planning to go to Stingray City then stop by here, but the sandbar was closed so we spent all day here. The last time I went to Stingray city it seems like they dropped us back off around 1-2 pm. I would think there would be time to snorkel here too, though. It's only a 5 minute walk from the pier and you can spend as much time there as you like.

Thanks Crazy and Bam! That's great advice. The hubs and I actually have our own snorkel equip. and just were thinking about buying some vests before we go. We have only done E. Caribbean cruises so we would bypass all the touristy stuff normally and go right to doing our own thing, but I think we have to try the stingray city and then hit up one of these places afterwards. I really appreciate your help! I have never really joined this site and instead just read reviews and this will be our 6th cruise. I'm so disappointed I never did this prior. It's a real gem! The tips and the kindness on this site is incredible...so thanks again! :)

Feel free to hook me up w/ any Cozumel and Ochos Rios tips too as we are 1st timers to those ports as well! I'm open ears with any advice ANYONE wants to give!!! I can help w/ Bahamas, Keys, PR, St. Thomas and Maarten if anyone needs tips...but then I guess I'd be in the wrong place!! LOL

Lindsey~Lou~Who :)

RE: Eden Rock

Hi Amanda!! Just wondering how much it costs? Do you think after an excurion to Stingray City we would have enough time to come here as well? :o

There is no cost for snorkeling, but small fees for equipment rental (if you don't have your own) or locker rental. We usually go to the second establishment, about 50 yards past the first one. The second doesn't have a restaurant nor bar but does have a nicer water entry and a fresh water shower and equipment rinse. Be sure to ask someone there to point out the buoys that mark the reef. While there are some nice fish near shore you need to get out to the Eden Rock reef, about 100 yards, where the sights really get incredible! Equipment rental info is on their site: http://www.edenrockdive.com/snorkeling.htm

http://simon-pics.smugmug.com/gallery/7889855_RRT2s#511615480_cJg87

If you finish Sting Ray city early you'll have time to stop at Eden Rock - figure 30 minutes between the 5 minute walk, time to rent equipment, store your gear and get into the water and another 30 minutes afterwards plus at least 30 minutes, preferably 45 to 60 minutes, for actual snorkeling. So as long as you have 1 1/2 to 2 hours extra you should have time.

LSimon, I just looked at your pic's and they are amazing! What kind of underwater camera do you have? Do you have one of those neat cases? We bought one of those pac's you put over your digital and tried it in the pool and it worked fine, but my husband is still weary! Thanks for the advice, too! I think we're going to do the Stingray City then bee-line it to Eden's Rock. Does it get very crowded there?

Linds :)

LSimon, I just looked at your pic's and they are amazing! What kind of underwater camera do you have? Do you have one of those neat cases? We bought one of those pac's you put over your digital and tried it in the pool and it worked fine, but my husband is still weary! Thanks for the advice, too! I think we're going to do the Stingray City then bee-line it to Eden's Rock. Does it get very crowded there?

The pictures on the most recent link were taken with a small Canon camera in one of the Canon waterproof cases. I too would be leery of one of those pacs as I would of the waterproof cameras that claim not to need a case - while I've read good reviews from some I've read a few where things didn't work out too well and it is an expensive problem. But problems with the cases designed for the cameras by the manufacturer are very rare. I also found that to get a really good picture you have to adjust the colors and/or lighting a bit - see the link in my signature below - or click here

I've never seen eden rock crowded. I do recommend going to the Eden Rock dive center, just past the Paradise restaurant with the blue roof. Ask them to point out the round white buoys that mark the reef about 100 yards out. Unless conditions are poor (when you might not want to go out at all) the swim out is not bad at all. Conditions have been very good there on 3 out of 4 times we've gone there.

We have a Canon SD550. Older camera but we know it well, and love the pic quality. If you could have seen me in the pool with that pac thrashing it around, stepping on it with my foot to hold it at the bottom you would laugh like hell! My husband was like, "Are you trying to break the camera?" Now, I know this may not be the case all the time, but that's why we figured we'd give it a shot and if it were to unfortunately break it would be before the cruise then while on it. Still not 100% decided on that idea however! LOL

I'm just hoping our boat still goes to Cozumel. I'm remaining optimistic about it since we are cruising May 30th and hopefully by then this whole swine flu nonsense will be a thing of the past, but I guess I will just have to wait and see. We are good swimmers too, so I will have to pray to the weather gods as well to grant us lots of sunshine and low wind!

Thanks again for the help! I'm jotting it all down in my "cruise notepad." :)

Linds

Oh, and before I sound like a complete idiot, before putting the camera in the "pac" we put one of my husbands cigarette's in it first so we would know right away what we were working with. And surprisingly not a spot on it....

Do you dive underwater at all while snorkeling? The true test of any underwater case is when it goes even a few feet underwater. It is the heavy water pressure that puts seals to the test. So something that works great in a sink or tub might develop leaks under even a few feet of water, let alone if one dives down 10 or 15 feet to snap a picture of a reef or fish up close. Most manufacturers marine cases are designed for 30 or 40 meter depths - 100 to 140 feet so they're very safe at snorkeling depths for diving down a bit. You might want to keep on eye on eBay for a Canon WP-DC80 which is the proper case for a SD550. While you might not want to buy a new case at $165 (Amazon price) you might find one slightly used for $50 to $100. Currently I use a newer Canon SD880 (last year's model) and a case I bout new. But in the past I've bought some cases at very good prices on eBay for older model digital cameras.

We were there last week and went to Eden Rock. The snorkeling was amazing! We literally had 100's of colorful fish swimming around us. It freaked me out at first because I haven't snorkeled that much and the last time I went was in Key West where I saw mainly coral and a fish or two. This was completely different. We had to swim out about 100 yards and then all of the sudden it felt like we were in some aquarium at Sea World because there were so many fish - it didn't seem real. The only thing I regret is not bringing an underwater camera.

That's awesome Berry Jerry! I love hearing things like that! Except for the camera...but, when my husband proposed on our 1st 7-day cruise we were in St. Thomas on a snorkeling rum punch excursion (need I say more) and when I got off the boat and used a public bathroom I left my camera in the stall and hopped back on a cruise ship. Last day of the cruise too! What a goob!! I really beat myself up for that one, but nonetheless they will never get lost in your memories. Well, not for awhile anyways!! LOL

Did you do anything else in Gr. Cayman?

Also any tips from anyone about Cozumel?

Thanks,

Do you dive underwater at all while snorkeling? The true test of any underwater case is when it goes even a few feet underwater. It is the heavy water pressure that puts seals to the test. So something that works great in a sink or tub might develop leaks under even a few feet of water, let alone if one dives down 10 or 15 feet to snap a picture of a reef or fish up close. Most manufacturers marine cases are designed for 30 or 40 meter depths - 100 to 140 feet so they're very safe at snorkeling depths for diving down a bit. You might want to keep on eye on eBay for a Canon WP-DC80 which is the proper case for a SD550. While you might not want to buy a new case at $165 (Amazon price) you might find one slightly used for $50 to $100. Currently I use a newer Canon SD880 (last year's model) and a case I bout new. But in the past I've bought some cases at very good prices on eBay for older model digital cameras.

I dive underwater, but I don't go too deep. When I practiced I was in my pool, which isn't the same, but we will see. We are looking around for a good price on ebay for the housing case, but it's like $150. We still have time though. We leave 30 days from today!!! That is an awesome feeling! :)

Archived