It doesn't just happen on Carnival ships!

kelz66

If this was posted over the weekend I apologize, but I did not see anything this morning.

Passengers watch as man goes overboard on NCL cruise ship

The U.S. Coast Guard has called off a search for a 39-year-old passenger who went overboard this weekend from Norwegian Cruise Line's Norwegian Sky.

The agency says it searched an area of nearly 590 square miles Saturday using aircraft from bases in Miami and the Bahamas. A Coast Guard spokesman tells industry watcher CruiseCritic.com there is "no reasonable expectation that he would still be alive."

A statement from NCL says fellow passengers witnessed the man go overboard early Saturday as the ship was sailing toward the Bahamas.

"A male guest was reported overboard from Norwegian Sky by occupants of his stateroom who witnessed the incident," the statement says. "The ship immediately began a search and rescue operation and notified relevant authorities."

The Norwegian Sky had departed Miami on Friday on a three-day cruise to the Bahamas and was approaching Nassau when the incident occurred. Due to its participation in the search for the passenger, the vessel arrived a half day late in Nassau on Saturday and was forced to cancel its Sunday port call at NCL's private island. The vessel returned to Miami early today.

I don't see how it can "just happen". I believe ppl do it intentionally or they are playing around and doing things they shouldn't be doing such as sitting or leaning over the rail.

I have never heard any of these being due to the railing being broken, etc.

That is not a way I would care to go! It is pure speculation, but IMO, at 3am, could have been a little tipsy. That would definitely hinder your ablitity to think clearly to keep yourself from drowning.

I don't see how it can "just happen". I believe ppl do it intentionally or they are playing around and doing things they shouldn't be doing such as sitting or leaning over the rail.

I have never heard any of these being due to the railing being broken, etc.

That is not a way I would care to go! It is pure speculation, but IMO, at 3am, could have been a little tipsy. That would definitely hinder your ablitity to think clearly to keep yourself from drowning.

I don't think we'll ever know the story(ies) of the truth of why these people go overboard/missing. I just don't get it!

It's kind of like the people that get 'hit' by the LIRR on the island.. I mean really... there are tracks there.. it does not happen by accident..(most of the time)

Can't these people spare their families and just swallow a bunch of pills and go to sleep?

It's kind of like the people that get 'hit' by the LIRR on the island.. I mean really... there are tracks there.. it does not happen by accident..(most of the time)

Can't these people spare their families and just swallow a bunch of pills and go to sleep?

If all of them that I've heard of happening, I don't know how or why it happened. The one of the employee falling was just crazy. Why would you sit on the railing??

Either way it is a painful loss for the families.

"He isn't dead . . . he doesn't sleep . . . he's just escaped the dark dungeon of life"

To many, life's problems are so overwhelming they just choose to stop fighting. As another poster indicated, it would be much classier to do it in a way in which it affects their family and the "rest of us" less dramatically.

"He isn't dead . . . he doesn't sleep . . . he's just escaped the dark dungeon of life"

To many, life's problems are so overwhelming they just choose to stop fighting. As another poster indicated, it would be much classier to do it in a way in which it affects their family and the "rest of us" less dramatically.

I dont know if it's classier, but to me without a body there would be no 'closure'.. i could not imagine the pain these families go through

Drugs and alcohol.......amazing contibutors to irrational acts like suicide and/or killing, damaging other humans.

We feel quite safe on cruise ships, walking by a fair share of party types

who are loaded for the whole week......no chance for impaired driving on the high seas ! No guns either !

This is happening way to often,

Perhaps at boat drill the cruise line should say somthing like this:

" At ABC cruise line we are concerned for the safetly of our passengers and crew. Please be concerned for your safetly as well. Please never climb, sit or play arround on the ships railings or barriers. If you happen to "fall" off the the ship there is less than a 50 % chance we will find you. A slow painful death by drowning or hyperthermia is very likely. Also you will affect everyone else on the ship as we must delay the voyage to search for you. People who have worked hard and saved for a possible once in a lifetime trip, will miss out on precious shore time or possibly miss flights home. Also you will cause great stress to your family, friends, and business contacts at home. Do not be selfish. You are valueable so be careful".

Tom in Long Beach

I know we all feel sorry for the family... but I also feel sorry for all of the people who had their vacation spoiled by, most likely, a drunk, an idiot or a disturbed person.

On a three day cruise they had one port shortened and another canceled. That stinks for the people who saved up for a vacation.

sorry if that sounds cold, but I think people that go overboard by "accident" are extremely rare. I don't count drunks falling over board as "accidents".

I know we all feel sorry for the family... but I also feel sorry for all of the people who had their vacation spoiled by, most likely, a drunk, an idiot or a disturbed person.

On a three day cruise they had one port shortened and another canceled. That stinks for the people who saved up for a vacation.

sorry if that sounds cold, but I think people that go overboard by "accident" are extremely rare. I don't count drunks falling over board as "accidents".

"a drunk, an idiot or a disturbed person" ..... on NCL??? :eek::rolleyes:

On my last cruise there were a bunch of cheerleaders - and I kid you not, less than 10ft from the edge the guys are throwing the girls in the air, they are doing pyramids and just general crazy stuff - All I could think was "please don't let me watch one of these dumb kids fall overboard"!!! On a moving ship, it just doesn't seem safe to be doing flips and acrobatics and stuff... a large swell and it would be bye-bye cheerleader. :eek:

Yeah, and not jump in front of a rush hour train? Or at least do it on the way into work so I get an extra hour of sleep? (Okay, bad joke. Go ahead and shake your head.)

Seriously though, in all the time I've been commuting on NJT, I can only think of two true accidents, one was when a hearing impaired person was walking along the tracks in between stations and literally got run down. Though let's be honest ... if you're hearing impaired, is walking along tracks between stations really the best place to be? The other was when a guy was trying to get his gear clear of a door, the conductor didn't check that all the doors were clear and it closed on his bag and dragged him to death.

Yeah, and not jump in front of a rush hour train? Or at least do it on the way into work so I get an extra hour of sleep? (Okay, bad joke. Go ahead and shake your head.)

Seriously though, in all the time I've been commuting on NJT, I can only think of two true accidents, one was when a hearing impaired person was walking along the tracks in between stations and literally got run down. Though let's be honest ... if you're hearing impaired, is walking along tracks between stations really the best place to be? The other was when a guy was trying to get his gear clear of a door, the conductor didn't check that all the doors were clear and it closed on his bag and dragged him to death.

I agree!

It happens almost once a week on the main line... UGH

Drugs and alcohol.......amazing contibutors to irrational acts like suicide and/or killing, damaging other humans.

We feel quite safe on cruise ships, walking by a fair share of party types

who are loaded for the whole week......no chance for impaired driving on the high seas ! No guns either !

i know it's hard to leave my guns for a whole week

I have not read enough to know if this guy was just acting stupid or was trying to kill himself, either way it is a sad event, especially for his friends and family.

From what I have read, the fall most likely knocks you out when you hit the water (unless you just happen to go in feet first), and you drown without ever knowing. So sad, so tragic, and so preventable.

My heart goes out to all involved.

Joy

It might be hard for an insurance company to prove a suicide from a ship, assuming no note. That would leave a life insurance policy in force.

There might be a method for these people. It would really bite to be on a ship when it happened.

It might be hard for an insurance company to prove a suicide from a ship, assuming no note. That would leave a life insurance policy in force.

There might be a method for these people. It would really bite to be on a ship when it happened.

hmmm never thought of that, but with the lackluster investigations that are done on cruiseship deaths you bring up a very good point

Archived