Taormina from Palermo on your own?

That's a long, long way. I would have thought that the only possible way of doing it would be in a hire car, but even then you'd spend most of the day traveling. And the stress on the way back! - 'will we make it?' 'will we make it?' It's over 100 miles as the crow flies, and that certainly isn't the way you'd drive - you've got to avoid Etna for a start....

There are a lot places near Palermo that are well worth visiting. We went to Cefalu, eastwards on the coast, which is a very attractive small historic town with a stunning cathedral on one side of a town square. There's also Monreale, in the hills above Palermo, which is again very much worth visiting.

I readily concur with the previous post. That is a very long way to go for such a brief time. Google shows the drive at almost 3 hours (which assumes knowledge of the local roads). There are trains, but it is 4h40m to 4h55min one way.

I have a way of pushing the envelope from time to time but this is one that I would not do.

I agree with the above. Taormina is beautiful but much too far from Palermo. I highly recommend Monreale. The cathedral there is nothing short of magnificant and the town itself is very nice.

I wouldn't chance going to Taormina form Palermo. Too Far. I agree with the previous posters. Go to Cefalu` (I've been to this town numerous times and found it to be very charming), see the Cathedral there (beautiful), have lunch in a restaurant overlooking the harbour or water, have a gelato, lay on the beach, just enjoy the day. You can reach Cefalu` by train or bus from Palermo if you want to do it on your own, but take note of the returning schedule. Monreale is also a good alternative. A beautiful town just outside of Palermo. These two places are much easier to do in the time frame that you have.

Many thanks to you all for your replies. I really appreciate the advice and agree that is definitely too far too risk. it will just have to wait until another cruise that stops at a different port in Sicily.

Both Cefalu and Monreale sound like great suggestions

Archived