are wheelchairs available?

Travelight

Does anyone know how to go about asking Holland America for a wheelchair to use for going ashore?

I thought I saw something on the website regarding special needs at one time, but I'm unable to locate it now.

My MIL may need one to go off ship into ports. Is this a provided service or can we rent one?

As you will have seen from the above post, HAL provides wheelchairs for embarking at the first port and disembarking at the final port ONLY. If you or your relative needs a wheelchair while on the ship or to go ashore at the ports of call, HAL requires that you either bring your own or arrange for rental from some of the companies that do that such as CareVacations:)

We also used Care Vacations for a scooter rental for my mom when we cruised:

Scooter Service: CareVacations Contact Numbers: 954-458-6500 / 877-478-7827

We cruised out of Fort Lauderdale and Port Canaveral in 2003, 2004, 2005. They were easy to work with, prompt, never had any problems. My mom took the scooter right into port. On our last cruise she did not go into ports that required a tender in.

I don't know your port of embarkation, but when I last boarded in Ft. Lauderdale (Jan 2009) there were scooters and wheelchairs available to rent for the cruise just outside of the doors to the cruise terminal. This wasn't through HAL and I've never noticed this at any other port where we've boarded.

I do remember seeing something that the wheelchairs onboard the ships are for emergency use only. I would only count on them being available for embarkation and disembarkation.

Prior to my last cruise, my husband was using a wheelchair for an injury . Since we were going on a transatlantic(he was now doing okay without a wheelchair so we didn't want to take one), thought for an emergency we would rent one. Called the number that HAL gave us. For just a basic wheelchair (Not motorized), they wanted $450.00 (32day cruise). We were going to just buy a cheap one instead and leave it on the ship because that was the cheaper way. Turned out we chanced it and dear husband never needed one.

Thank you all for such prompt responses. :)

I'll check it out with HAL and CareVacations. :confused:

We're embarking out of Seward, AK, so I'm guessing there will not be scooters available. A scooter would definitely be preferrable to a wheelchair. :rolleyes:

She can walk, just not long distances. We just wanted her to enjoy her time in the ports without the stress of too much walking. :o

I called CareVacations for cruise ship assistance.

They deliver the wheelchair to her cabin upon arrival and pick it up from her cabin at departure after the cruise.

Very convenient! :D

Considering we are cruising one-way, the cost was considerably more for a 7-day cruise - $165. :eek:

But if it will make her vacation more enjoyable, then it is worth it to us. :)

Thank you all for the info!

if it will make her vacation more enjoyable, then it is worth it to us.

Yes, that's what we decided about getting a w/c for our friend. We don't want her vacation or her health to be ruined by overdoing stuff. So the w/c is cheap insurance, we hope!

:)Saw the picture of the wheelchair you are planning on purchasing. I purchased one a year ago like the first one in this picture in the link below. The wheels in the back are much larger making it easier for the person in it, or behind it to push it.

It is a few more dollars, but in the long run it might be worth it. Not sure which website I got it from, but I know it was free shipping also. Just do a search on wheelchairs. You may find one for even less.

http://www.1800wheelchair.com/asp/view-category-products.asp?category_id=332

Archived