Belize diving - location, location, etc.

KathieP

I'm researching for my husband so bear with me if I sound like I don't know what I'm talking about. We're heading to Belize at the end of the month and will be there from 7 am to 5 pm, if all goes according to the cruise schedule. My husband would like to dive here. We've narrowed it down to two diving shops (is that the right word?), Sea Sports Belize and Hugh Parkeys Dive Connection. We've read good reviews of both.

Sea Sport Belize looks like it only goes to Turneffe Atoll or Lighthouse Atoll, prices are $140 for two tanks at Rendevous Caye, $163 at The Elbow or Hairy Jones (2 tanks) Those two are both at Turneffe Atoll and $191 for 3 tank dive at Lighthouse.

http://www.seasportsbelize.com/divefacts.html

Hugh Parkey's website lists these prices according to location and number of tanks. http://www.belizediving.com/bzediveconnect/costs.html. Barrier Reef (2 tanks) $90.00,Turneffe Atoll (3 tanks) $140.00, Lighthouse Atoll (3 tanks) 175.00, Great Blue Hole & Lighthouse (3 tanks) $175.

We'd love to hear anyone's comments or opinions. Husband said he has only done 2 tank dives before so wouldn't be disappointed if he didn't do a three tank one but is more concerned with location then anything. This is THE dive for the year so he wants to make it count.

Kathie,

If you are going on a cruise ship, one of the two ops you mention will most likely be the cruise ship excursion operator. If that is the case, they will not book your dives(by contract with the cruise line) independent of the excursion. Email them both, and if they are the operator, they will let you know.

Locations- skip the local "barrier reef" 2 tank dive. The outer "Atoll" dives, both Lighthouse and Turneffe are far superior dives to anything local to Belize City.

I spent a week diving the area in 1999, I would also suggest to skip the Blue Hole, it's a weird kind of cave dive without a roof, I would much rather do a healthy coral reef dive with lots of fish life, If stalagtites and such are his thing then do the blue hole.

I haven't dove with either op, myself, but I have heard more positive things in the diving community about Hugh Parkey's op. That is not saying anything bad about Sea Sports, just lack of feedback. BTW- Hugh Parkey himself died two plus years ago, the op is run by his wife. Just so you know.

Hope he enjoys his dives

Rich

Kathie - we used Sea Sport Belize 2 years ago as we had the time to book independently. we did a 2 tank Barrier reef dive, and it was great!! They currently list a 2 tank dive to the Barrier Reef for $109 on their website.

We got off the Grand Princess a week ago, and on that trip, due to the very limited port time, we booked through the cruise line who used Hugh Parkey's Belize Dive Connection. (I think all the cruise lines use BDC.) We did a 2 tank out to Turneffe Atoll. The dives were also good, although are ship was late arriving, and it was a mad dash to get to Turneffe. The seond dive was nearly a night dive.

The nice thing about SeaSport for us was it was a fast 6 pack boat, John was a great storyteller during the boat time, and a super DM underwater. We also stopped on a small spit of an island to eat lunch - provided by SeaSport.

Either way you go - independent or cruise excursion - your husband should have a great time!!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived