Courtyard Villa deposit and Cruise Reward deposit

DMH15

Looking to book first CV and use cruise rewards certificate. My TA said it is a deposit of $3k, so I need to pay $2,750 more but she said it's like being in final payment phase with high penalties for cancellation and we would not be eligible for OBC promos that might come up. This year we took a SA cruise and TA was able to get us additional OBC during period when we booked but before final payment.

The CV we are looking at is over 18 months away and several are available at this point. But I was hoping to wait several months to request time off at work... Unless you are a "cruise person" people think you are crazy planning a vacation over 18 months away.

Do you guys think I should gamble and wait to see if NCL runs some sort of promo? We really want to go on this particular sailing as friends have already booked a mini and we think the CV rate is pretty good.

Thanks.

For our November Jewel departure, we were able to take advantage of the promotions last November, which gave us a $500 OBC for CV, $100 for Amex, plus $50 latitudes and 15% military, so we did well. I have checked the NCL web site at least weekly, and we are still the only booked suite with courtyard access. Like you, we use a $250 future cruise credit, and $2750 payment, which went immediately into the penalty phase. My DW was able to get a signed vacation request bfore I booked, as cancel for any reason insurance was jut priced to high. Without the great OBC, I would have waited. Except for the most popular sail weeks, I think you will see most courtyard suites available till much closer to sail time.

Remember, any changes made, and I will lose my OBC, for the current promotion offers.

Al

I would wait! I have never seen the prices go up BUT after final have seen them come down. Just keep watching your sail date and availablilty. After having the CV this year, I am hoping to get it next year again. I would love to do it now for next February, but the penalty cancellation fees are what is holding me back.

The price could fluctuate; however the penthouse and above suites seem to typically stay the same rate... booked for Alaska a year out and penthouse and above suites NEVER changed in price and we leave in less than four weeks now. I waited for an obc promo and then booked mine... got $400 for the obc promo they were running plus ANOTHER $400 obc for latitude promo... NEVER had so much free money WOO HOO! I would definitely wait for an obc promo...

• Administrators

I would wait. Fluctuation in the top cabins (the non-refundable deposit ones) is fairly minimal. I'd wait until you are POSITIVE you will be going before booking a large non-refundable deposit. The Cruise Reward thing is nice, but doesn't hold those top cabins by itself, so just hang onto that.

Donna..I'm going to be the lone voice here..but..if it were me, I would go ahead and book. With that said, however..my suggest is to sit down and think of it this way. The best promo I have ever seen was $500.00 OBC for booking a suite. So I would just ask myself this. Which would make me feel worse. Not getting the stateroom I wanted on that cruise...or not getting a $500.00 OBC. You could always TRY and get the OBC offer later on down the road...but once the specific cabin you want it gone, it's gone. Again..lone voice here...but it's how I feel about it.

Someone once told me, never fall in love with a particular car when looking to buy one. You will always find a better deal down the road, if this isn't the right one. The same would apply to a cruise for me. I would not have to have a particular cruise so bad that I would be willing to pay top dollar for it. Sooner or later, a deal will come along that you can't refuse! You will know when the time is right. So, I guess my advice would be to wait. JMHO! :)

DT

Donna..I'm going to be the lone voice here..but..if it were me, I would go ahead and book. With that said, however..my suggest is to sit down and think of it this way. The best promo I have ever seen was $500.00 OBC for booking a suite. So I would just ask myself this. Which would make me feel worse. Not getting the stateroom I wanted on that cruise...or not getting a $500.00 OBC. You could always TRY and get the OBC offer later on down the road...but once the specific cabin you want it gone, it's gone. Again..lone voice here...but it's how I feel about it.

I understand your theory ,but if all the CV are open as of today and they watch it every week, they should be OK. When the inventory comes down to ONLY 2 available then you make a move. Too many things can happen between now and sailing too lose that deposit( at least that is how I feel). I am not sure when this OP's sailing is, but I am assuming it's for at least next year since they mentioned 18 months.

I am with the "lone voice" on this... I would book it. We booked a CV in November for our October 30 cruise. At the time only one other CV was booked, we purchased ours and then within 3 weeks the others were booked up as well. A group may block up the CV's, so you may not get a chance to book when 1/2 are available.

When I book, as long as I am happy with the price that we have to pay then I buy it and don't stress over if a sale happens or an OBC is announced. If you are happy with the cost, then book.

BTW - A OBC was given after we put down our deposit and we were still able to get the $500obc, we just asked our TA and NCL gave it to us.

Happy sailing!

Thank you ALL for your replies. I am really torn. I see both sides. Some friends of ours have already booked a mini suite for this cruise. It is the Jade 11/21/10 (during Thanksgiving) - over 1 1/2 years away. So, we really want to go on this particular one. It is a good time for 2 weeks off of work too, since 2 of the days are work holidays.

My mom wants to experience the CV, since she is one who considers the ship itself a destination. I checked and all 8 CVs are available. So I may wait, but just a little bit.

I love the planing and anticipation of a cruise vacation. Once it is booked it becomes real. Last year when I booked the Sun South America almost a year in advance it seemed so very far away and then BAM! It was suddenly time to pack and go!

Again, thanks everybody for your kindness and wisdom.

BikerAl-

Thank you. Do you think prices likely to go up if we wait? I am not known for my patience! I'd hate to wait for an OEB special just to tradeoff for a higher rate.

In the 6 plus months since we booked there has been no price change. Of course, there could be one any day.

Al

• Administrators
Thank you ALL for your replies. I am really torn. I see both sides. Some friends of ours have already booked a mini suite for this cruise. It is the Jade 11/21/10 (during Thanksgiving) - over 1 1/2 years away. So, we really want to go on this particular one. It is a good time for 2 weeks off of work too, since 2 of the days are work holidays.

My mom wants to experience the CV, since she is one who considers the ship itself a destination. I checked and all 8 CVs are available. So I may wait, but just a little bit.

I love the planing and anticipation of a cruise vacation. Once it is booked it becomes real. Last year when I booked the Sun South America almost a year in advance it seemed so very far away and then BAM! It was suddenly time to pack and go!

Again, thanks everybody for your kindness and wisdom.

I thought of a middle course, too. Since the downside here is the hefty non-refundable deposit, if you also booked insurance with "cancel for any reason" coverage at the same time, you could cover the downside risk in case you decide not to go. Just a thought -- if you pursue it make sure you understand the wording of the insurance coverage you purchase.

PS Most of those policies require purchase within 14 days of your first payment towards the trip costs -- check out www.insuremytrip.com and www.tripinsurancestore.com for more information.

We usually take out the NCL insurance just in case. My mom will be 75 this September. You just never know. With NCL if one takes it - both need to. That's fine with me.

Thanks again.

Double check what outside agencies charge. Often it is way less.

Hey Familyof4cruising.. would you be willing to make it familyof5cruising?? LOL

I'm so jealous of all your upcoming cruises!!!!!

Planning and waiting for these cruises make me happy- I love looking forward to them.

I wish I could adopt you BUT I see you are an overpacker and that will not work AND I will be forced to book 2 cabins all the time.;)

Archived