Review on Costa Allegra, Part 2

jonad

Hi all,

I have some additions to make. Happy hour is actually 6 - 7.30 (I think i said till 7) Its not only for cocktails but any drink. Buy one get two, of the same drink.

During the cruise the photographer takes thousands of photos. They are usually very good, but quite expensive, 8, 10 or 20 euros each depending on the size. If you wait till the last day you can probably negotiate a price. We could get about a dozen for 30 euros. Just haggle with him the last day!!

I'll make more additions if things come to mind.

Nadia

Hi Jonad, Great review Now I am really looking forward to going. We are 27/6/09 Singapore to Shang Hai. Do they have a card for non alcohol. eg water, soft drinks, coffee etc.

If so is this available on the ship or do we have to buy it pre cruise.

We are in cabin 1001 on the bottom floor and were told it could be noisy and vibration as it is closr to the engines. Did you experience anything like that.. Regards Richard

Hi Richard

There is a 'boys and girls' card available..non alcoholic. This can be purchased beforehand and on board as well. I think its 20 non alcoholic drinks.

I'm a bit confused as to how you get cabin no 1001. We were on Gaugin deck, cabin 3046 and there was only one deck below us, the Van Gogh, so I imagine the cabins should have been in the '2000's.

Anyway as far as noise we had no problem at all. We were in the centre of the ship, no porthole so it was perfect. There was only the slight humming of the aircon and I slept soundly all night...which i never do at home!!

The walls are very thin though and if you have noisy neighbours, which luckily we didn't, you would definitely hear them....but thats probabaly the same on all ships.

I truly hope you enjoy yourself. As I've said before go with a mind to have a good time, let the little 'annoyances' slip by and you'll have a memorable holiday.

Hi Jonad,

The cruise is getting ever closer and the 'good lady' is now beginning to have some thoughts about the dreaded packing.

Can you give me a bit of an idea of the dress code for the more formal nights on board

How many were there on the 14 night cruise?

And what kind of attire was the 'norm? I don't mind taking my tux but I don't want to be the only monkey in a monkey suit so to speak and also don't want to turn up in a sports jacket and smart trousers if all around us are more formal?

Any help would be most appreciated

Thanks

Tom

Hi Tom

We had 3 formal nights on the 14 day cruise. As to the attire, thats a hard one to answer. My husband took a tux, as he has one, and it was a good chance to give it some wear. Others wore anything from a short sleeved shirt to long sleeved with a jacket, or a suit with a shirt and tie. It was incredibly varied. If you have a tux take it, as you won't be alone. Its a good chance to dress up if you like that sort of thing. (and you won't be alone as you'll blend in with the waiters!)

Ladies too wore all sorts of attire, from elegant and very formal to just nice! So its entirely up to you. Hope I've been of help and not just confused you more.

Young Richard,

I just got a return phone call from my travel agent to say our X1 drink package was $789.00 per person, I told her that she better try again, price is now $256.00. (yippie). I will be in singapore on the 12th of june 09, can't wait.

hHi Jonad, Great review Now I am really looking forward to going. There is a another question. when the ship sails into Ho Chi min, which port did to disembark to? and were you informed in advanced which port. I rang costa yesterday and they said that it depends on the weather. is this correct?

regards,

Maccas

Hi Maccas

Unfortunately in this instance I can't help you. I didn't take note of the name of the port. It was a fair way out of the city though. As I said Costa provide a shuttle for 7euro each, which is probably good value. As far as I know we were never informed of the name of the ports but I can tell you we had a couple of occasions where we docked elsewhere. HongKong was one, but there was a free shuttle to Ocean Terminal. I think the reason was two ships were already docked at Ocean Terminal. The other was Manila. The evening before docking we were told we'd need a shuttle as we were miles out of the city! As we were docking my husband had a map in hand and noticed we were not far from anything at all, about 500mts. across from Rizal Park (one of the attractions). We had already paid for the shuttle so took it to Robinsons, a shopping centre, then walked back to Rizal Park and Intramuros etc. We were so close we went back to the ship to clean up and have some lunch, then went out again. I'm not sure if we docked somewhere else or whether Costa thought 'it was a long way out'. It was the Eva Macapagal Super Terminal.

Probably haven't been much help.

Archived