Checking in every day

retnuh281

I have been to Progreso once in 2005, and it seems alot has changed since then. Living in Houston area my whole life I have visited Mexico many times so Progreso doesn't "wow" me. Please post or reply if you have done anything out of the ordinary or had a blast in Progreso. I will be going back in August but it will be wife and two 15 yr old girls so I am hoping to do something besides shop and drink myself into a coma.

The more I read, it seems like a massage and lots of drinking will be the plan of the day. Which sounds better and better by the hour.

Help

The last thing I'm going to do on vacation is drink myself into oblivian and not remember my experiences. Try visiting the large, spanish colonial city of Merida. Three dollars round trip by frequent and reliable bus service. Merida has buildings dating back to 1549 and the oldest cathedral of the Americas, circa 1561. Population of one million, the state capitol and home to four universities. This is not a boarder town in any way, nor at all like the glitzy and phoney Cancun or Cozumel. Not totally dependent on tourism. Checkout http://www.yucatantoday.com

BTW. After two port calls to Progreso while sailing on Celebrity, I've now been back to Merida and the Yucatan for three 2 wk vacations. Looking forward to returning soon.

Progreso to Merida is 21 miles. Busses are airconditioned. The Merida bus terminal is three short blocks from the Central Plaza in the historical center.

Thanks for the info. after scouring the internet, I am actually looking forward to a relaxing day visiting Progreso. The whole fried fish looks like a winner as well as all the ceviche I can eat. Love ceviche and a nice cold beer. Shopping, strolling, eating, drinking, and swimming when it gets too hot. Oh yes, and a massage on the beach. I paid $40.00 for a massage in Cozumel recently and these are only $15.00...........SOLD!!

• 4 weeks later...

Archived