Internet: VPN or Remote Desktop?

lidorose

I used my VPN to connect with work on the Westerdam several years ago.

It worked, but the connection is slow, so if you have a significant amount of "Stuff" to do it will take a while and cost $$.

Internet time packages I believe start at $100. A few people that I have spoken to on this subject complained that the link is so slow that you cannot get anything accomplished. I have used local internet places at various ports for a few dollars each time, NEVER keying in anything important.

I have a mac laptop. It will be able to pick up wifi through airport, do you have to join their network and what is the cost per minute.

Internet Prices

$3.95 to sign up

$0.75/minute or

$55 for 100 minutes plus 10 bonus on the first day

$100 for 250 minutes plus 20 bonus on the first day

Can either or both of these be used onboard the Noordam?
Are you using an IPsec or SSL VPN client? My experience on RCI ships is the that the satellite-based internet connection often does not provide sufficient bandwidth to negotiate and maintain the VPN tunnel. I don't think this was an RCI-specific problem but rather a limitation of running a VPN over a cruise ship's super-slow, satellite-based internet connection. As I'll be sailing on Noordam in about two months, I'd be interested to hear about your success or failure on this. :)

I will mostly just be emailing pics from my laptop.
Be sure to reduce them to 640 x 480 unless you're very rich! :) I suggest that you tell your friends/family not to send you any large pictures on the ship either. :)

Archived