itinerarys/ prices

alaskabound2323

Ok, I finally get it, you look at ships itineraries and then choose your ship.

Therein lies my problem.

My MIL likes HAL. The reviews for HAL are pretty good. But we would like to travel southbound. HAL's ship spends the first 2 days cruising, then 3 days in the typical ports and another day at sea (inside passage). It looks like Princess does the exact same thing. I think that is too much time on the ship. (but I am not a ship person)

Regent has a good itinerary, my favorite, but it is expensive. They are running a deal the includes all excursions/flights/and buy one get one free, but that is buy one at brochure price... Turns out to be 1600 for kids and 4100 for adults. Is that a deal??

Celebrity Milllenium has a nice itinerary but the people are saying really bad things about that ship.

I prefer not a huge ship. What am I missing?

We are also planning to visit Danali before our trip, so we would like to head south. Danali on our own, not a cruise tour.

Any advice?

Thanks

I think the Regent cruise looks like a good deal. $4100 is a lot, but when you consider that it is for airfare, excursions, and meals, that is not bad. It would only be $2050 per person. I spent almost $700 on air alone ( for one person). With the cruise, airfare, and excursions, I am up to $2800 so far, and that is with a cheap inside cabin.

I don't find included tours an advantage, because you are "stuck" with them since you have paid for them.

It doesn't sound like any of the mega liners are right for you, so, then book the Regent. Pretty simple on a message board. :)

I suggest you consider adding at least 5 days, so to also enjoy the many excellent activities in Seward. Take advantage of being there.

You need to check the HAL site again. They have cruises that stop in (4) ports with only (2) days "at sea". We're booked on the southbound Ryndam on June 12th that stops in Sitka, Skagway, Juneau and Ketchikan.

Hope this helps.

Celebrity Milllenium has a nice itinerary but the people are saying really bad things about that ship.

We are on Millie SB 3 July and spending time in Denali prior. Millie dry docked Vancouver in May, so should be in top shape. Celebrity is currently deeply discounting, so how bad can it be?

We are on Millie SB 3 July and spending time in Denali prior. Millie dry docked Vancouver in May, so should be in top shape. Celebrity is currently deeply discounting, so how bad can it be?

It was also dry docked last month because of a problem with a bearing on the propeller shaft causing a disruption in it's cruise schedule according to the New Zealand Herald.

It was also dry docked last month because of a problem with a bearing on the propeller shaft causing a disruption in it's cruise schedule according to the New Zealand Herald.

... a problem which was repaired and therefore not likely to repeat in the short term.

Alaskabound, seems we are both headed to Denali Backcountry Lodge. I can't wait for June 28!

... a problem which was repaired and therefore not likely to repeat in the short term.

Alaskabound, seems we are both headed to Denali Backcountry Lodge. I can't wait for June 28!

Propulsion problems have plaqued Celebrity's Millennium-Class of ships including the Summit last year according to this Cruise Critic thread. Not to mention the electical problems according to this Cruise Critic story.

I'll definitely post an honest review shortly after my return, so stay tuned to the roll call thread. It seems there are a few vocal CC members intent on giving X a bad rep (no implications intended to this thread). Booked this cruise fully informed and betting on an enjoyable first time Alaska and cruising experience. Hopefully I won't be disappointed.

I am looking at cruises 2010. I guess I did not make that clear. HAL changed itineraries for next summer.

Reading all these things about the drop in cruise quality makes me sad. I would rather pay a bit more and get a nice cruise. Hopefully Celebrity is not as bad as some are saying.

Hopefully the economy recovers!!

We are on Millie in June and really looking forward to it. The prices are great this season.

My mother LOVES Regent. I'm a penny pincher and I've done the math, Regent is actually very competitively priced compared to other lines. Definately take a close look at what the value of their all inclusive costs, airfare, excursions that you actually would pay for separately with another line, gratuities - are those included with Regent, sorry I can't remember. Then take a look a the pictures of the staterooms, look over the reviews of service and food quality with Regent. Don't forget you have the benefits of small ships, you'll get to know other passengers and staff, including the captain. Only you can figure your own costs if you choose another cruise line, and only you can decide if Regent is worth a little more if thats what it comes down to. The only reason we are not sailing with Regent this trip is because they don't have kids programs or even in room sitting for my 4 yr old - the programs start at age 5. If you prefer to not cruise with lots of kids, Regent controls the number of children, so their ships are not over run with children, either, which many people without kids appreciate!

I totally agree that I would also rather pay more for better service. I think this season we can expect cuts in service/quality from all the cruise lines because of the price cuts. Hopefully, next season will be better for everyone.

Archived