Roll Call - Windsurf 5/10/09 - Rome to Nice

T&T

Hi Everyone, We (Todd & Troy) will be on this sailing and were wondering if there is anyone out there that will be joining us. It's our first time on Windstar so we're excited for something new.

Hi Todd and Troy

We will be getting on in Nice when you get off. Too bad the Windstar roll calls aren't more active. (We can't get ours going for May 17th either.)

This is our 9th Windstar cruise (mostly on the Windsurf) I think you will both love it. Very fun ship, crew and passengers! Have a great trip!

Patty

Hi Patty - Thanks for the reply, our post was looking so lonely. This vacation can't come soon enough and we are really looking forward to trying Windstar. We're pretty laid back and don't take ourselves too seriously but love good food and service so we think this will be a great fit. I know I'm having loads of fun planning our 3 day pre-cruise stay in Rome. And who knows, maybe someone will book last minute and check in to one of our roll calls.

Todd

Todd,

I think you may be right - I just got another e mail today about price reductions. Some of the summer Windstar cruises are now only $999 pp. Unbelievable value in my opinion. We have been on board before when they weren't full and offered the opportunity to stay on another week for a REALLY attractive price. (I think it was $599 pp or something like that) If you have any flexibilty, you might be offered a chance to do that this time too. I know our cruise isn't full. We always seem to have to rush back to work, but we would have loved to stay on another week one of those times.

I think you will find the Windstar passengers pretty laid back and friendly over all. Most are well travelled and totally NOT full of themselves. We always go home with new friends. In fact, we have already travelled 4 more cruises together with a UK couple we met in 2004 on the Windsurf at New Years in the Caribbean. We stay in touch with many others, too.

If you have any specific questions, I'd be glad to try to answer them. What's on your agenda in Rome? I recommend the Borghese Gardens.

Hey Patty - I know, these deals are killin' me. They're so good, if we only had the time to take advantage of them all. Poor Troy doesn't even come near me if he sees a brochure in my hand or my browser open to one of the cruise booking sites haha.

For Rome I think we're planning on doing two walking tours. One of ancient Rome, including the Borghese Gardens and Villa, and the other of the Vatican. I've seen the Rome by Night tours and they look great but we think we'll be a little wiped out. Luckily, we were able to turn in some Starwood points to stay at the St. Regis so any extra time to hang out at the hotel may be great.

We cant' wait to experience a smaller ship. We usually go with HAL (friend is big VP which helps) and although we have always gotten along with everyone and also have always had the best table mates, usually being the table that closes the place, we are looking forward to a more intimate atmosphere. We are especially looking forward to the longer stays in the ports. For Amalfi and Ischia we're in port until 11pm so no rushing back after day at Pompeii in Amalfi or one of the spas on Ischia. That will be nice!!

What are your plans on your trip? Have you bought your tickets to the Grand Prix? I'm an avid boater and can only imagine the yachts we'll both see in Port Hercules. Hopefully there won't be any news stories of a crazy American from Atlanta being dragged by his feet from one screaming Mine! Mine!

I know what you mean - the brochures and cruise e mails are coming faster and faster lately - Bill always wants to know what I am planning now! We already have Oceania Insignia booked for the holidays in South America - an extension of the trip we did last year around the Horn (highly recommend both the trip and the cruise line!)

We do not have our Grand Prix tickets yet - we keep wavering about how much we want to spend. We just got off the phone with our travel buddies (austinbond and kimiata here on cruisecritic) who we are meeting in Nice. There still seems to be plenty of ticket availability, so we are thinking of waiting until we get there unless we see what we think is a real "deal" before we leave.

We went to Pompeii two years ago on another Windsurf trip from Venice and we loved it! I know you will, too. When we were in Rome we stayed at the Westin Excelsior on Starwood points and it was lovely, too. Maybe not as nice as the St Regis but the rack rate then was like 450 euros a night and we loved it - very close to the US Embassy and Borghese Villa and Gardens.

What kind of boating? My husband is a lifelong sailboat racer and he manages to do here which isn't until mid July. You are right about the yachts in Monte Carlo - only other place I have seen that can match it - or come close - is St Barths.

It is funny that you guys are usually the ones closing down the restaurant on the ship because WE ARE TOO! Too funny!

Hi Everyone, We (Todd & Troy) will be on this sailing and were wondering if there is anyone out there that will be joining us. It's our first time on Windstar so we're excited for something new.

We, too, will be getting ON in Nice (to Rome) but on May 25. We would love to hear from fellow passengers on this cruise. We are also looking for someone to share transportation with from the Civitecchia port in Rome to Fiumicino Airport (to the Rome Hilton Airport actuall) where we will be staying for two days before flying back to L.A.

Myke and STan

That will be interesting to see what deals are available for the Grand Prix. I was shocked that we were able to get both airline tickets and our hotel stays using points since we only booked two weeks out.

We can't wait for Pompeii. We happened to watch a Rick Steve's episode on Naples and Pompeii and that just pumped us up even more. We almost chose the Westin, but they wanted the same amount of points for the St. Regis so we said what they hey. We love the Starwood brands, especially the beds, linens and toiletries.

How funny - Troy mentioned last night about doing South America during the holidays. So of course this morning I will be diligently searching for a deal (he knows to be careful what he says haha). We've never been on Oceania - have you cruised with them before? What are your thoughts?

Our preference for boating leans more towards the power rather than sailing side. Although when it comes to being out on the water, I am grateful for anything, no matter what provides the power. I grew up down in South Florida and we have many friends with boats that we are fortunate to tag along on. One friend has an empty dock space behind his house and has offered it to us so we are looking at a few right now. I'm decided on a 2004 Fountain 38 Express, now I only have to figure out how to see to it that Troy "decides" on that one also ;-)

How funny - Troy mentioned last night about doing South America during the holidays. So of course this morning I will be diligently searching for a deal (he knows to be careful what he says haha). We've never been on Oceania - have you cruised with them before? What are your thoughts?

Definitely check out Oceania here on cruisecritcic - It is a VERY active board (not like this one!) Oceania has larger ships than Windstar (about 650 people each) but similar great people, great food and beautiful ships. We did the 16 day Insignia trip from Buenas Aires around the Horn to Valparaiso last Christmas/New Years and this year we are booked on the Dec 22nd Buenos Aires to Rio trip. They are offering some great deals, too. We are going early to see Iguazu Falls for 2 days before we board the ship.

Actually, we met the people we are going to France with on that trip last year. Very fun bunch, some of whom are going again on the holiday sailing this year.

Todd and Troy, We will be joining you on May 9th. Not seeing Rome but staying in Nice after. Maybe we can share some rides on non Windsurf excursions. Maybe Florence or so. Thinking about using the train but not quite sure.

Hi Grace and Sandra - That would be great! We had no idea what to do about getting to Florence. We thought about the ship's transfer, but would really rather join the locals and take the train (well, the 2 locals and 100 tourists haha). Where are you flying in from?

Mykielou - I'll try to write up a review before you guys jump on. I read that you're favorite line is Windstar so that makes us feel great.

Hey Patty - I actually received a brochure from Oceania yesterday. It has been strategically placed.

t&t, Train is about $25 dollars roundtrip plus need to take bus or taxi to train station. Understand that taxis don't like that short run 'cuz they want to take you to Florence direct. Beats $109 with Windstar transfer. Not sure what other excursions but possibly Pompei or Capri at first port. Anyway, we are coming from L.A. California on the morning of embarkment. How can we connect on the ship for a drink or something to meet or whatever?

Sandra and Grace

Hi Ninasan - Let's meet up at Compass Rose just before Sailaway. You can't miss us, just look for two guys who look like Yogi and BooBoo. Can't wait for this cruise!

Hi Ninasan - Let's meet up at Compass Rose just before Sailaway. You can't miss us, just look for two guys who look like Yogi and BooBoo. Can't wait for this cruise!

You must be about to leave, I really hope you enjoy it! Maybe we will see you in Nice - are you staying there after you get off? Save some nice weather for us!

Archived