What to do in St Johns

gunghotogo

My DW and I are on a Princess cruise in March that is making a stop in St Thomas. We have been there before but never went to St Johns. We are not water people and want to know what anyone can suggest for activities in St Johns that aren't water related. Any help is appreciated.

Celebrity Summit - Western Caribbean - April 04

Celebrity Millenium - Eastern Caribbean - Feb 03

RCCL Nordic Empress - Bermuda - July 98

Dolphin Royal Majesty (now NCL) - Bermuda - July 95

I have been there many times but not for about 15 years so take it with a grain of salt. Cruz Bay, where the ferry comes in, was fun to walk around in a bit As I recall the shopping was more or the souvenir sort; the hardcore shopping is back on St Thomas. The ride out to Trunk Bay and Cinnamon Bay is spectacular and try to get something that is open air and have your camera. I stayed at Cinammon Bay many times (National Park) and is nice for a little walk. Even though you are not into "water" stuff, walk down and at least look at the beach, There are some historic things but I am not too into that so can't help much.

At the time I was there Caneel Bay was the "plush" resort where presidents etc. would go. As I recall, you could not go on the grounds but there was a restaurant near the entrance where you could eat lunch. As I recall it is one of the first stops out of Cruz Bay.

Hope that helps some. Really came here and posted so I could subscribe.

I have been looking for anyone who has done the RCCL boat excursion and exactly what they did on the "island tour" especially where they were given time. I am hoping for a little time in Cruz Bay and at Cinnamon Bay. I am "guiding" my sister and her husband over there so hope to get it right!

Hello,

You can do an island tour of St. John on your own by renting a car or with a taxi. 2 hours perhaps. Stop at Annaberg and look around, its an old plantation. Then have lunch and perhaps do some shopping after lunch. Or you can go hiking, long or short trail; there are quite a few to choose from. You can find descriptions at: http://www.*****/stjohn/nationalpark/

--Islander

Thanks. We're thinking of taking a taxi out to Cinnamon Bay. My sister and her husband like to hike so I can put them on the trails and can take it easy at my favorite beach ever and hopefully get in a little snorkeling. I also know you can get lunch there. If we have some time before the return ferry we can always "shop" Cruz Bay.

If you know ... if you can make the 9:00 ferry from the waterfront in Charlotte Amalie would that be better than going to Red Hook. I know the next one out of downtown, I believe is 11:00. I am trying to figure out the fastest way but imagine it all depends when you get off the ship. Maybe best to just ask on the dock?

As I recall it is about 1/2 hour taxi to Red Hook? And the ferries list the trip as 45 minutes out of waterfront and 25 minutes out of Red Hook.

I doubt there should be any problem easily getting transportation out to Cinnamon Bay on arrival in Cruz Bay?

The ferry from downtown is $7.00 pp, each way. It offers a great view of the coastline and resorts, etc. On the other hand, the cab ride to or from Red Hook shows you some of the inland areas. I would try to make the downtown ferry to go over, and come back to Red Hook, and see the best of both. Check the ferry return times when you get to St. John.

We were at St. John several weeks ago. Rented a car with another couple and took off to the Caneel Bay resort. It is the first out of town. It is easy to go past it. Watch closely for the sign. You can park in the parking lot. They have a guard gate but you can walk right past. The guard waves to you. They have signs reminding visitors that the lounges are reserved for their guests. Go on through the main walkway past the very clean restrooms and past the registration desk and you are on the beach. Two of us had snorkel gear and two did not. The dive shop is to the left. It gives out snorkel gear including a snorkel belt (ski belt) to guests. We asked if we could rent some gear, and the guy was very nice and said as long as they were not busy, we could use their lounges. He knew we were visitors. He provided us all beach towels, snorkel gear and belts and snorkel maps of their beaches, as well as a mesh dive bag to carry it all in. He did not ask for any money, but was given a nice tip. Beach and people were nice. Not crowded. Snorkel around the point to their next beach. If you want, you can catch the resort tram to get back to the registration area.

We drove on up the coast and looked at the other bays and beaches and got out at several of them. Many of them were very crowded, but they were all worth seeing. Have fun

Hello,

The ferry you choose to take really does depend on when you get off the ship. The time works out to be about the same, shorter taxi & longer ferry for CA and reversed for Red Hook.

Lots of taxis in Cruz Bay to take you to Cinnamon Bay and lots of taxis at Cinnamon Bay when you are ready to go back.

Have a great time.

--Islander

Hello,

The ferry you choose to take really does depend on when you get off the ship. The time works out to be about the same, shorter taxi & longer ferry for CA and reversed for Red Hook.

Lots of taxis in Cruz Bay to take you to Cinnamon Bay and lots of taxis at Cinnamon Bay when you are ready to go back.

Have a great time.

--Islander

Thanks sounds pretty much like it was years back when I did this regularly. I never went from downtown though, but then again I never came in on a cruise ship. My most memorable arrival was from St. Croix in one of those small seaplanes and the copilots seat was used or a passenger and I was in it. What a memorable flight into Charlotte Amalie. I guess the time and cost work out about the same. And good on the taxis on St. Johns.

The ferry from downtown is $7.00 pp, each way. It offers a great view of the coastline and resorts, etc. On the other hand, the cab ride to or from Red Hook shows you some of the inland areas. I would try to make the downtown ferry to go over, and come back to Red Hook, and see the best of both. Check the ferry return times when you get to St. John.

Great idea! :D I imagine the timing might dictate if you would do it this way or maybe reverse it. And nice on the trip to Caneel Bay. Sounds like a great time. Afraid that would be too sedate for my companions (but not for me). Seems like I remember eating lunch there once but seemed like they were more strict about the grounds then. Maybe it was a slower time of year.

Archived