Help! Can't choose which ship... Advice please...

isdoo

Greetings,

I have not yet had the pleasure of sailing with RCI, but have decided to cruise over christmas with my family (two children aged 8 & 5)

I am currently holding a suite on the Enchantment of the Seas, but think I will have to let it go, as I really need Internet access via my own laptop (I run my own business, and can't really gamble on not being able to connect to my machines, if they go down)

My initial reason for going on this ship was the fact that we would not have to start packing up on Christmas Day (it docks on Boxing Day).

So I now have three choices...

Mariner Of The Seas

Jewel Of The Seas

Radiance Of The Seas

The Mariner has less space, but is at Sea on Christmas Day, as is the Radiance. The Jewel is in Nassau on Christmas Day, and I am not sure what will be open on Christmas Day, will we find everything shut up?

I am thinking of booking a Junior Suite and gambling on getting an upgrade and the Jewel and Radiance would give me the best chances on this.

I am wondering if one of the ships/ports is better for my young children?

Mariner Of The Seas - Labadee, Ocho Rios, George Town, Cozumel

Jewel Of The Seas - San Juan, St. Maarten, Antigua, St. Thomas, Nassau

Radiance Of The Seas - Cococay, St. Thomas, St. Maarten

The only other difference is that the Jewel Of The Seas is 8 nights and of course priced slightly dearer.

As you can see I am spoilt for choice, confused and just not sure which way to go - I am not keen on having to pack on Christmas Day, but can't see any other option, as I really need my laptop.

Thanks for any advice/help folks can give....

Just flip a coin! Great ships and good itineraries. Nice to have that kind of choice to make right now though. I'd personally take 8 nights over 7, because the longer I'm on a ship the better I like it.

No matter which ship you choose, have a great holiday.

8_2_58.gif

Since your looking at Christmas it's a toss up. We have sailed both the Radiance and Navigator (sister to Mariner)at Christmas. We also have sailed the Mariner. The Mariner has a larger kids play area and since your kids are younger they would like that. Of course there is also the Ice show and the promenade.

That said the Mariner will probably have about 1000 kids aboard of all ages. The Radiance had about 700 last year. Any of the ships are a good choice so I'd pick by $$$$.

We'll be aboard the Jewel this time........

Thanks folks.

In terms of cost the Radiance is the cheapest followed by the Mariner and then the Jewel, which is half as much again as the Radiance.

Just wondering if spending the last two days at sea on the radiance is a big downside - will the kids be bored?

Mind you whatever I decide there is good and bad in each choice :(

If I had kids I dont know if Id like to stop in Jamaica. I liked Jamaica but for kids ehh I dont think so. Ialso hear that Cozumel has alot of pushy vendors - Im not a huge Western Carib fan - I love St T and St M - but the kids would probably love the Mariner with all the stuff on board

I had a good time on the Radiance and thought it was a beautiful ship..too bad the Enchantment didnt work out for you that was my first and favorite cruise

I would snap up the Enchantment instantly - but unless I can find a method for connecting my laptop to the internet in an emergency then, I am snookered. Chances I wouldn't need it - but I can't take that risk.

I love the Voyager class ships. I've been on Explorer and Mariner. I also very much like the western route that Mariner is doing. The ports are a lot of fun. Contrary to an above post I think Jamaica is a blast and you will have more laughs climbing Dunn's River Falls if you choose to do so.

Of the three you list I like the itinerary of Radiance the least. I am not a huge fan of private islands and that will leave you with only two real ports to explore. I doubt that much will be open in any port on Christmas day.

As for two sea days in a row, we had that on Mariner's Eastern route and it actually worked out quite well. There was plenty to do aboard ship for two days. But that was, however, a Voyager class ship. I don't know how I'd feel about doing that on a Radance class ship as I haven't done one yet. That, however, will change as of this coming April.

Would your kids go to the kids club???? They would get to spend lots of time with their new friends and you could spend time doing what you want while at sea. Of course it depends on the child and the group of kids aboard.

The more sea days the better for me!

Ocean Boy - I liked Jamaica too....but I just don tknow If I had kids if Id go there. Arent his kids a little young to climb the falls. I thought they were a little tough to climb.

Personally I think the Jewel has the best itin. and like I said the Radiance was nice and its Jewels sister ship....but the kids might like the Mariner more. Is the Navigator or Exlporer doing an eastern route that week? Id look into that

Archived