Switach-a-roo: Can't choose cabin only 'Guarantee' on Spirit June 5th to Bermuda???

maggiecatenjay

Hi. Over the weekend I met a few folks that are definitely planning on booking the Spirit June 5th for my niece's wedding but are waiting for the prices to bottom out. I've been watching the fares and they dropped some ($420 for my BC category) but as of today you cannot choose a particular cabin, only a 'Guarantee'. (I wouldn't have even known what a Guarantee was except for CC LOL). (I tried 4 or 5 categories... not them all.)

Does this NCL.Com change mean the cabins are selling out? Does it have any significance what-so-ever?

The BF category is now cheaper ($2,098 -"D-Outside vs. $1,931 - BF) than at least one of our booked inside cabins. Can our inside -specific cabin - folks opt to upgrade to BF Guarantee? Final payment is all made and we are 42ish days out. THE BIGGER QUESTION (IF THEY CAN IS... SHOULD THEY????!!!

None of them has cruised before and I've been 'leaking' tidbits of knowledge from CC - don't want to disseminate wrong or ill-advised info. I'd hate for somebody to go from a nice inside to a nightmare Balcony... especially from info I 'leaked.'

I feel a bit like 'Deep Throat' LOL. "Can you confirm?"

Thanks.

Clare

If all you are seeing is guarantees that means the ship is close to filling.

If they paid less than the higher category is going at now they can try to call their TA or NCL to see if they can get an upgrade. But tell them to be careful and if they have any on board credit it may be removed.

I've never had a "horrible" balcony cabin in 6 cruises. If they want to upgrade from an inside to a balcony tell them to ask if it has an obstructed view. Otherwise, leave well enough alone. What they don't know won't hurt them.

11660 if it is available is an excellent cabin that we were recently in on the Spirit. Best cabin ever!!

Thanks to you all... It's funny but when I find out one thing I ALWAYS seem to have another question... (And THIS ONE WAS HUGE! - The bargain hunters are all fun, Fun, FUN! Would hate for them to miss out.)

CC has been invaluable to me (and my group).

Thanks again.

Clare

I went back onto NCL.com to compare/contrast with the other Boston-Bermuda cruises and when I got back to June 5th the list of cabin numbers appeared again, along with the Guarantee check box! Musta been a glitch (showing 'Guarantee' only earlier tonight). Thanks, though, for your feedback. I will tell my peeps to watch for the change-over to guarantee only - the indicator that the cabins are getting short.

BTW, are there other indicators of the ship filling up?

Thanks, again.

Clare

I've never had a "horrible" balcony cabin in 6 cruises. If they want to upgrade from an inside to a balcony tell them to ask if it has an obstructed view. Otherwise, leave well enough alone. What they don't know won't hurt them.

11660 if it is available is an excellent cabin that we were recently in on the Spirit. Best cabin ever!!

I changed from an outside room CC to one of the guaranteed balconies, do you think that was a mistake? It was actually cheaper than the outside room that I had booked, but as we already paid in full there is no refund. Hope I made the right decision!:confused:

I went back onto NCL.com to compare/contrast with the other Boston-Bermuda cruises and when I got back to June 5th the list of cabin numbers appeared again, along with the Guarantee check box! Musta been a glitch (showing 'Guarantee' only earlier tonight). Thanks, though, for your feedback. I will tell my peeps to watch for the change-over to guarantee only - the indicator that the cabins are getting short.

BTW, are there other indicators of the ship filling up?

Thanks, again.

Clare

One thing to keep in mind if they are waiting for the prices to "bottom out": they will not know when the prices have hit bottom until the prices go back up. Then they can look back and say "oh, I guess that was the bottom; I should have booked it a few days ago". If your party is going to wait until they see only guarantees, the absolute best prices may be behind them. Alternately, they could also see the "sold out" sign. What I'm suggesting is that their strategy to get a low price may backfire. If they are serious about going on this cruise, they should start booking now if they see prices that appeal to them and not worry if it is the lowest possible pricing.

I changed from an outside room CC to one of the guaranteed balconies, do you think that was a mistake? It was actually cheaper than the outside room that I had booked, but as we already paid in full there is no refund. Hope I made the right decision!:confused:

Now they are telling my TA that I can't change without a penalty because the room is cheaper than my original oceanview (not looking for a price adjustment). What do they mean by "penalty"?

Now they are telling my TA that I can't change without a penalty because the room is cheaper than my original oceanview (not looking for a price adjustment). What do they mean by "penalty"?

Loss of on-board-credit? Best to ask your TA... surprised the TA didn't have the answer.

If you are past the FINAL payment date, some changes are often seen as a cancel and rebook. and, a cancel at that point would result if the loss of all money.

Loss of on-board-credit? Best to ask your TA... surprised the TA didn't have the answer.

I didn't ask my TA about the penalty, I will call her today. I didn't have any OBC's, however I did use two of the award upgrade certificates that we got when NCL changed program. I wasn't looking for a refund, just an even swap. TA was waiting to hear back from a "supervisor". Sounds like the best thing to do is cancel and rebook, is that recommended? I do have a $100 gift on my account from Christmas which should not be affected. Any suggestions???

Your June 5 cruise from Boston would be very popular considering the time of year. I am surprised there are any cabins left six weeks before the cruise.

I've been watching the http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/staticPage.html?pageId=hotDeals page (hoping for last minute bargain hunters to join our group). May 1st Bos-Bermuda showed up today with 33 cabins left seven days out. Now May 1st is a different animal than June 5th but not too much. I have no frame of reference for this... is this unusual???

I wonder how accurate the 'cabins left' data is or if Marketing tweakes it a bit... natural skeptic.

Even though June is a month further away, since its the start of summer its likely the June date has sold more than the May date. While the price might drop a bit more, everyone should get a good price if they book today. The last thing your group wants is a sold out ship. What is the difference now between May and June?

Mine you if it were just my wife and I, we might wait another week or two. But with a group, the sooner everyone has gotten a good price, maybe not the best, but a good price they should book.

But with a group, the sooner everyone has gotten a good price, maybe not the best, but a good price they should book.

I thank you for and relayed your advice... no idea what folks will do (but they sure are sick of e-mails from me LOL!)

Thanks, again.

Clare

Archived