Best of italy 2008

RANTHEMAN

Hard to believe it was exactly one year ago today that we were boarding the Quest for the 14 day Best of Italy cruise. What a fantastic cruise.

I am jealous of all of you that are taking the same cruise this year. I promise you that you won't be disappointed.

Cheers

Hard to believe it was exactly one year ago today that we were boarding the Quest for the 14 day Best of Italy cruise. What a fantastic cruise.

I am jealous of all of you that are taking the same cruise this year. I promise you that you won't be disappointed.

Cheers

Ditto for those of us on the September 2008 Best of Italy. It was exceptional in every way!!!

Randy,

All week long the Lovely Margo and I have been reminiscing about last spring's trip. That is why I have been crashing all the boards of this season's "Best of Italy" cruises. LOL, not sure I have been wanted but what the heck!

But, wasn't it Saturday we boarded making tomorrow the "day"? In any event, at this time we were in Rome, in Pantheon square, enjoying the Albergo del Senato (at least until we checked out and saw our bill!) and enjoying the fantastic weather we were all blessed with the entire trip.

I read some posts of people cruising to Europe on the larger ships, i.e. Celebrity Solstice and I just can't imagine dealing with all those people. I think the Quest sized vessel is the perfect venue for this type of cruise.

Margo and I are still trying to figure out how to go again, I think 2010 for the same time period just opened up..........

Say hi to Champagne Lady and Pierre!!!

Margo says "hi" and says you should see her new push mower!!!

ciao,

Luigi

LOL, allmost forgot..........one other thing we talked and laughed about this week was the "Octopus Buffet" we shared at the little restaurant after our "different" Godfather tour........don't know if I'll ever have another bite of Octopus again, LOL!!!!!!!

You are right.....it was Saturday the 27th not the 23rd.We left Tampa on April 23 for the two nights at the Albergo del Senato. A pricey hotel but worth every penny.

The $$$$$ lunch in Sicily was truly memorable. I think our driver was working on commissh.

When I hit the Lotto,we will be back. With a better market maybe sooner.

Cheers to you and the lovely Margo!

PS...Pierre says ruff,ruff,ruff

Hi everyone,

I am one of the lucky ones on the May 16 Best of Italy and I so appreciate your posts about what a great time you had!! We are beginning to count down the days as we leave for Rome in less than three weeks. Your reminiscing makes me all the more excited.

Hello Professor....You should be excited...You have a fantastic cruise ahead of you.

Some random thoughts: Be sure to be up early when you sail into Venice.The early morning cruise down the Grand Canal into Venice is quite impressive.

Do not,do not miss Michelangelo's "David" at the Accademia in Florence.

The drive along the Almafi coast is spectacular.

Have been on two R-class ships on port intensive cruises in Europe.You will love it!

Cheers!

Hi Kath....Can't remember exactly but it seems it was about 7am when we strarted down the Canal.

We were in a skysuite(an unexpected upgrade) on the starboard side of the ship,so we had a great view of Venice from our balcony.

I think,however,that next time I would go up to the sun deck for the complete panoramic view.

Have a great time!

Kathi, (old scottie), where were you looking at my ramblings?????

Which cruise are you on??/

I think Rantheman is a little off the mark, I think it was a little earlier in venice, maybe 6:30 ish or so. In any event, don't miss it. It was very very cool, kind of misty, foggy which made it even neater (neater?? showing my age!) There are a lot of islands that you pass as the ship makes it's way into Venice. You will travel between Venice itself and La Giudecca, the Island/Peninsula just south of Venice via the " Canale della Giudecca". The higher you go on the ship the better it will be. You will see lots of watercraft even at that hour. I was really interested in all the different tyypes of watercraft you see in Venice from ferries, to water taxis and police boats. Just all kinds of cool floating stock!!!

Venice is a wonderland, almost surreal, especially at night. One of the best things about these itineraries is the overnights at the best ports.

We went out to dinner at a great place in Venice, then got lost trying to get back to the last shuttle to the ship. Just made it, with two crew members. We all laughed and laughed all the way back to the ship. I have pics but we were bad on that way back so can't show them here, LOL!!;)

Also, hell with the costs!!, make sure you have coffee, drinks, lunch or whatever in San Marco Square at a place that has the band/orchestra playing. $$$ but you probably will never be back and the memories are priceless.

Louis/Luigi:

We are on the May 16 Best of Italy cruise and still considering our day options... so many choices.

Thanks for the additional input on Venice.

On the Norwegian Fjords trip last year we got up in the wee hours of the morning for certain fjords and were absolutely enchanted with both the scenery (soaring hills) and atmosphere- mist rolling off the water. The Captain commented it was like sailing into Valhalla.

Kathy

Hi Kathy, your board is very active, should be a fun group. We had a great group also. It makes the trip that much more fun!

Yes, all the choices make it diffacult to decide. But, the options you don't take give you the impetus to return!!

Sound like a broken record here, but as Rantheman said; this ship is the perfect size for this trip. You will love it.

We envy you.....only about three weeks to go:D

6:30 ish....picky Luigi picky.:D

Actually that is good advice. They do not want to miss that cruise down the canal.

I wish we had gone to the top deck!!!! But as you said,that is an excuse to plan a return.

Hello Professor....You should be excited...You have a fantastic cruise ahead of you.

Some random thoughts: Be sure to be up early when you sail into Venice.The early morning cruise down the Grand Canal into Venice is quite impressive.

Do not,do not miss Michelangelo's "David" at the Accademia in Florence.

The drive along the Almafi coast is spectacular.

Have been on two R-class ships on port intensive cruises in Europe.You will love it!

Cheers!

Thanks for the info, Ran. We did a Med cruise out of Venice two years ago and sailing in and out were as glorious as you say!! Have seen Michelangelo's David about 20 years ago--but need to see it again as I was too young and foolish to properly appreciate it; I have already secured tickets to the Accademia and the Uffizi gallery.

We are booked with a private driver for a tour of the Amalfi coast and are doing Capri the following day. Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Annie

Annie,

That is exactly what we did in Sorrento. First day had a private tour with Salvatore Lucibello of "Drive Amalfi" ttours, great day, didn't do Pompei. Those who did liked it. Had dinner that night off ship in Sorrento.

Next day took the Hydrofoil to Capri on our own. Found another Luigi at the docks in Pompei and he took us on a brief 3 hour tour on a small bus around the island.It wasn't too expensive and he was a riot. Had the whole bus (12 people!) singing "That's Amore"!!:D Then we wandered around on our own.Had a fun picnic in a small square in Anacapri with good food, good wine and good friends.

The one thing we didn't do that I want to do next time is to tour around a bit in one of the convertible taxi's. They are very cool. I"ll try to attach a pic here. They are all over the place so you'd have no trouble finding one.

ciao,

Luigi

730404406_Italycruise!-627.jpg.381bdcdb3aff9e86fa29eb7219542754.jpg

1378303955_Italycruise!-645.jpg.bdf8a75dc170a0e633cb271d0ee736e2.jpg

A small suggestion,Professor Annie.

Hotel Il San Pietro Positano is along the Amalfi drive. It is quite unique as it sits on the side of the hill with awesome views from its outdoor patio.

Get your driver to stop so that you can ride the elevator from the road down to the lobby and patio. You won't regret it.

Cheers

http://www.italytraveller.com/en/c/il-san-pietro

• 2 weeks later...
We're going on the Best of Italy trip in on August 9th - It's great getting your suggestions.... What did you do in Ravenna? Did you go to the car museums or factory?

We are going to the Ferrari Museum on the 5/16 sailing.....I will let you know how it is when we get back.

Last year we were in Ravenna for only one day. We took the ship's tour of the various sites that featured some awesome mosaics. It only lasted about three hours and we wandered the rest of the day. If you can fit this tour in, I think you would enjoy it.

We have a group of twelve couples who are going to Bologna for the first day. We've booked two guides and arranged for a coach to pick us up and return us to the ship. We'll let you know how that works.

Second day, will probably be mosaics.

Archived