Norfolk, Grandeur, boarding time?

finoky

Does anybody have any first hand experience with the actual time that they began boarding the ship? I know about all the variables and that it says 1PM in the docs, etc. Been on many cruises just never out of Norfolk.

Norfolk boarding is no different than any other bording time we usually arrive at the peir 11;00 -11;30.

If the ship has cleared customs etc you can be on the ship by 12:00 and have lunch in the Windjamer by 12:30.

I plan to get there between 11:30-12 to beat the 1 PM rush. I'll be so excited it will be hard to wait until that late. Hope to have everything ready and will just need to drop off my dog and head to the pier. If we could only take the dog . . .

We sailed the Grandeur last year out of Norfolk. Left our Virginia Beach home (off salem rd.) at 10. By the time we unloaded, got luggage to porter, security and checked-in, we had about a 15 minute wait to board. I think we were on board about 11:15.

Wendy, good to hear. I have never left out of Norfolk, and look forward to doing so. Booked a Murder Mystery Cruise leaving October 18 to the Bahamas aboard Carnival Triumph(booked early and got a discount). It will be my 2nd cruise on Carnival. Last year I sailed out of Port Canirval(not sure of spelling), on The Sensation and it was a good trip all around, including checking in. They made it very easy and convienent even with the long lines. I booked on line for that one, and it made it even easier getting my sail and sign card, etc. How much is parking in Downtown Norfolk? Did you use the parking lot provided? Where is it located? A 15 minute wait is not too bad. It was about the same length in Florida.

We sailed the Grandeur last year out of Norfolk. Left our Virginia Beach home (off salem rd.) at 10. By the time we unloaded, got luggage to porter, security and checked-in, we had about a 15 minute wait to board. I think we were on board about 11:15.

I see you're from Virginia Beach. If you know the area, the parking is at Monticello & Virginia Beach Blvd. I don't know how much it is. We usually con a friend into picking us up and dropping us off. Much easier. We just pick up a bottle of their favorite liquor on board to show our appreciation.

I picked my parents up last weekend when they got off the Grandeur. The taxi line was a nightmare...lined up all the way back to the terminal. Traffic was bad since the Azalea parade was getting ready to start and going right past the terminal. I really felt bad for those trying to board.

Where is the Triumph leaving from? Sounds like a fun trip.

I see you're from Virginia Beach. If you know the area, the parking is at Monticello & Virginia Beach Blvd. I don't know how much it is. We usually con a friend into picking us up and dropping us off. Much easier. We just pick up a bottle of their favorite liquor on board to show our appreciation.

I picked my parents up last weekend when they got off the Grandeur. The taxi line was a nightmare...lined up all the way back to the terminal. Traffic was bad since the Azalea parade was getting ready to start and going right past the terminal. I really felt bad for those trying to board.

Where is the Triumph leaving from? Sounds like a fun trip.

Parking is at the Cedar Grove Parking Facility.

10$ a day, but I called them and they said $20 and when I mentioned Royal caribbean said $10, they were like "oh yeah....its $10 then." So you may need to mention your going on a cruise out of the port to get the lower price.

Wendy, thanks for the good info on parking! That's good to know. Yeah, it's going to be a great cruise! Never been on a murder mystery cruise before and look forward to this one. Can't wait to go back to the Bahamas! I am going to attempt to upload a video I took last year of the Queen's Staircase. And lugoismad, thanks for the info on parking prices. Yeah, I will be sure to tell them I am going on a cruise...too funny how you got two different answers!

Wendy, the Triumph is leaving out of Norfolk on October 18th and sailing to two ports in the Bahamas: Freeport and Nassau. It will be a 6 day cruise I believe. The good thing is, the murder mystery show won't interfere with your cruise at all, and they do all the work..you won't be required to dress up in costume, learn lines or play a character. And from what I've read, daily updates about meeting times/clue gaterings, etc. will be included in the cabin flyers under your door each morning. Should be a lot of fun. I've added my email address in my signature so if you want more information about this cruise, you can email me and I will be happy to pass along the website with all the info. It will indeed be a lot of fun! I have seen shows that the murder mystery company performs and they are really well done. See how I am not posting their website here ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I sailed out of Norfolk a couple years ago, and I had a very frustrating experience at the Cedar Grove parking lot.

As do most experienced cruisers, I enjoy getting to the ship early for lunch. However, after I dropped off my passengers and luggage, and drove to the parking lot, they had a huge staging area which was lined up three rows deep waiting for the lot to clear out from the prior cruise! I sat there waiting for nearly an hour before they would let us into the parking lot to park.

Does anyone know if they have corrected this horrible policy? Other than this one totally unacceptable flaw, sailing out of Norfolk was fine.

Thanks,

Theron

P.S. this was around noon, it was not at all unreasonably early.

Archived