I've done it!!!

Hi All

At last :)- managed to get the summer 2010 on the internet yesterday and have booked for the Mediterranean Discovery on the Island Escape on 1st July 2010. Mind you I booked it through my son's girlfriend who works for a travel agent as she's gets a discount and it worked out cheaper than the internet price. Also got free AI.

Kruzseeka - will be looking to you for some advice on some of the best excursions as you have given me a couple of beauties in the past. Have already printed off your bit on Villefranche. Perhaps you could give me some info on Mahon, Marina Di Carrara for Florence/Pisa and also Propriano in Corsica (this is a different stopping place to Corsica last year? I think it was Ajaccio before? I was a bit disappointed that they changed one stop from Sardinia to Corsica as we've never been to Sardinia before, but we both liked Corsica so it's not too bad. Have also done Rome before but I loved it so quite happy to go again.

All I've got to do now is wait for the next brochure to come out cos we want to do the Caribbean again in March 2011??? Hopefully can get a free AI if we catch it early enough:eek:

Janet

Congrats Janet - something to look forward to! :D Isn't it a lovely feeling? We also took the plunge yesterday for the Adriatic/Aegean 2010 and were staggered when our first two choices of cabin number had already been booked!!

Unfortunately I don't think I'll be much help as most of these destinations are new (Marina di Carrara replaces Livorno) and as you say, our visit to Corsica was to Ajaccio. We stayed in Ajaccio but other travellers said what a lovely island it is - so another time I think we'd do an island tour.

From what I've read though, Mahon is stunning and you berth right in town so probably a DiY would be possible here.

When we did Livorno for Florence we took the Thomson 'Florence on your own' option which seemed to us to be the best way of getting maximum time there. It's a compact city and easy to explore on your own if that's your kind of thing. I researched trains but I think it wasn't as easy as doing Rome on your own and the frequency of trains made me a bit anxious about it. I'd try Lucca by train if we went to Livorno again (it sounds like an interesting destination if you've already done Florence). I've heard fellow passengers say that there's not much at Pisa apart from the Tower - but that's second hand info which may or may not be accurate. I've no idea how easy alternative transport options are from Marina di Carrara, so can't help much there. I wonder if this is a permanent change? From Google Earth it doesn't look brill - and the town's a bit inland from the port I think.

Sorry not to be of more help - this is the one Med itinerary we haven't done although there is some over-lap with some of the others. Anyway, happy planning. :)

Archived