coping with the heat

bubbieX4

i will be traveling on a med. cruise this summer. i am already anticipating how hot it will be. plan on wearing sun dresses and plenty of sunscreen. however, i found an item on line that is made out of material and you soak it for 20 minutes then you wear it around your neck and it is supposed to keep you cool all day. has anyone heard of or tried an item like this. also i have a little hand held fan...was wondering if this might help at all. any help would be so appreciated.

thanks

carol

Hi Carol -

I have spent most of my life in climates even hotter than the Med - and we've long known the powers of a wet bandana around your neck. I'm not familiar with the product you describe, but I'm going to go looking for it!

Donia

P.S. Be careful of that sundress if you plan to go into churches. Most require that you have both your shoulders and your knees covered. Just take along a scarf or jacket to throw on to meet their restrictions. The nuns who typically enforce this rule in Italy are powers to be reckoned with! BTW - St. Peter's doesn't allow men in shorts either. Other churches are hit-and-miss on that rule.

I had one of those thingamabobs and didn't like it. It's bandana like cotton sewn like a tube and filled with a substance that stays wet and is supposed to keep you cool.

I tried it a couple of times and found that although it did stay damp, it got hot, and then felt heavy around my neck and I felt cooler when I took it off.

I know that some people like them, and they only cost about $10, so it might be worth the money to buy one and see for yourself.

Now I bring a regular cotton bandana, wet it and tie it around my neck and then re-wet it with cold water whenever the opportunity arises. At least it doesn't feel so heavy on my neck.

I've used those cooling towels before. They feel terrific on the back of the neck when you first put them on, but then they warm up to your skin's temperature and just become a warm, damp cloth on the neck. They are terrific if you're working outdoors and have a breeze hitting you, but I don't think I'd rely on just that when touring around.

I find that I am much cooler if I'm wearing clothes that aren't constricting (especially sundresses or skirts), I have my hair tied back or up, and I don't have to carry too much. If I'm in the sun I prefer a hat where the breeze can blow through - so maybe straw instead of a bucket hat. Big tote bags can hold a lot of heat against the body so I'll use a smaller bag. I do have a couple of fans (like Japanese fans), and they help some, plus they look more stylish than a battery operated fan!

No one has mentioned that the bandanas that you wet and put around your neck can also feel somewhat "slimy" after the cooling effect wears off (which is rather quickly). They have some sort of crystal or in some cases a gel that can ooze through the fabric.

The paper folding fans may look nice but in my opinion nothing beats the little battery-operated hand-held fans you can get for a couple of dollars in any drugstore or discount store. They're tiny and fit easily in your purse or pocket. I was "sharing" mine with other travelers recently at a very warm airport in Mexico and it felt great! And I was lucky to get it back. ;)

No one has mentioned that the bandanas that you wet and put around your neck can also feel somewhat "slimy" after the cooling effect wears off (which is rather quickly). They have some sort of crystal or in some cases a gel that can ooze through the fabric.

I didn't mention it because that didn't happen with mine or my husband's. All the gel stayed inside without a problem.

Perhaps you got a defective one?

thanks for all the helpful information. after reading all your replies, i think i will stick with a regular bandana and just wet it when i can...also will carry my little battery fan. happy sailing to all

carol

I have one, and have never had it feel slimy. I use it when gardening in the summer. It helps to have a container of ice water inside, as I usually go refresh mine about once an hour by letting it set in the ice water for 5 minutes.

I am one of those people that sweat like crazy if the temps go above 80 and I live in sw fl where it gets HOT! I found a battery operated fan on a spray bottle. Fill it with water and anytime you need it you can mist & fan yourself at the same time. It has a shoulder strap, weighs hardly anything so it is easy to carry. I never cruise in hot climates without it.

we cruised the last of july last year. the heat was unbearable. an umbrella worked the best for me. we walked everywhere and the sun was the problem. a hat might help but for the the umbrella works.

my best advise, don't go that time of year. i could only imagine how wonderful it would be walking around those beautiful places if i were not so miserably hot. don't get me wrong, that was the best trip i have ever taken. i just wish i could have been more comfortable.

the funny thing was that i read a review by a cruiser who had just returned from the med and was adamant that no one should go in july/august. i thought she was a little overboard with the review. when we got there, i realized she had a good point.

you will love this cruise, regardless of the heat.

I am one of those people that sweat like crazy if the temps go above 80 and I live in sw fl where it gets HOT! I found a battery operated fan on a spray bottle. Fill it with water and anytime you need it you can mist & fan yourself at the same time. It has a shoulder strap, weighs hardly anything so it is easy to carry. I never cruise in hot climates without it.

that certainly sounds like an awesome idea. where did you purchase the product you talked about? would certainly love to have something like that on my med. cruise in july. looking forward to hearing from you.

carol

I've seen those battery operated fans with water spritzer at Wal-Mart. Which is also where I purchased the "slimy" bandana. :rolleyes:

Another idea for a quick cool-off is a spray of Evian water. These come in travel sizes and are nice to have on hand to spray on your face or neck. No long-lasting effect but it feels great for a few minutes!

200.jpg

When you wear your dresses and skirts, be sure to use baby powder between your legs; it helps prevent chafing. :D It feels cool and refreshing. You can get a small travel size, keep it in your bag, and freshen up during rest room breaks.

This is a great tip.

Thank You

that certainly sounds like an awesome idea. where did you purchase the product you talked about? would certainly love to have something like that on my med. cruise in july. looking forward to hearing from you.

carol

Where else? Walmart. I think it was around $2.00 :eek: and there were all different colors. I bought a few so it would somewhat match my outfits. I know that sounds crazy but it made me happy.:D

Also they are made out of plastic so quite light to carry.

If you are at all handy with a needle and thead you can make yourself a stay cool tie. Simply sew a long tube, then sew across the tube about 1/3 the way up. Then pour in 1 Tbsp. of those crystlas you put in planters to keep your plants hydrated when you cannot water them. Then sew across the 2/3 the way up. Soak about 10 to 20 minutes and your good to go.

I wore these in Pompei in August and carried a spritzer fan and survived well. In fact we're going back to the Med this July. It is warm but IT"S THE MED! I would never let a little heat keep me from there! And we'll be on a cruise so we can always have a ship to escape the heat.

Have a great time.

Where else? Walmart. I think it was around $2.00 :eek: and there were all different colors. I bought a few so it would somewhat match my outfits. I know that sounds crazy but it made me happy.:D

Also they are made out of plastic so quite light to carry.

thanks so much for the info....i go to walmart at least twice a week so i'll look for it. do you happen to know what department it is sold in.?

carol

thanks so much for the info....i go to walmart at least twice a week so i'll look for it. do you happen to know what department it is sold in.?

carol

I found them in the sporting/camping department. Good luck!

Archived