What does this mean? Ship was full and now it's not??

SpankysMom

Hi all,

We are booked on the Westerdam for May 10th sailing to Alaska. For several weeks all the ship's categories have been closed except the Penthouse. I thought the ship was full. Tonight I checked for the heck of it and now it shows all inside categories, all oceanview categories and the VA and VB verandas available. What could have happened that would have opened up all these cabins? Group cancellations? Any thoughts? Thanks in advance! SM

My guess is that a few cabins are available, but that all or some guarantees haren't been assigned. So, if someone wants a specific cabin, "available" would include all unassigned cabins in that category. A guarantee in that category can be moved elsewhere - that's why they offer guarantees.

I tell you, some of the marketing HAL does make no sense to me. Our cruise is over 3 months from now and the last 3 weeks HAL (and all other online agencies I know of) show all the inside and ocean view cabins sold out. I know that right before this there was a ton of those cabins available. Have an idea somewhere down the road they will pop back available again, but have no idea why HAL does this.:confused:

John

I tell you, some of the marketing HAL does make no sense to me. Our cruise is over 3 months from now and the last 3 weeks HAL (and all other online agencies I know of) show all the inside and ocean view cabins sold out. I know that right before this there was a ton of those cabins available. Have an idea somewhere down the road they will pop back available again, but have no idea why HAL does this.:confused:

John

One word. Groups.

When all the cabins sell at the last minute, where previously there were tons open ... that means a large group was offered a "deal." When a ship has a lot of cabins empty, and is at risk of sailing that way, I think HAL contacts their big travel agents in the "seniors" type areas and offers them blocks of cabins really cheap. The travel agents then start contacting their regular clients ... "hey, how'd you like to go to the Panama Canal in three weeks for this really great rate?" ... and wala ... the cabins get warm bodies placed into them. Of course, these people have to be willing to take what's left, but in some cases that could mean a nice variety of cabins.

In some cases, if the cruise line is really desperate, they even throw in some added bennies ... like free motor coach transportation to the pier from points in Florida not really close to Fort Lauderdale.

That exact thing happened on one of my cruises to the Panama Canal. Those folks sailed with like two weeks notice and HAL bussed them to and from their Leisuretown development to Fort Lauderdale ... something like a four-hour trip. The travel agent got a rush batch of nice tee-shirts printed up ... and we had this group of like 200 of these people walking around the ship. I asked one of them about their tee-shirt, and that's when he told me how they came to be on the cruise. He said that got an amazing deal on it too.

No cruise line wants to sail with empty cabins, and they will do anything at all to fill them. Even if they make nothing on the cabin at all, they still have onboard revenue coming in, and that's something.

Blue skies ...

--rita

One word. Groups.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Hi Rita,

I thought “group” too at first, but only can find one group on our itinerary and that is called “Let’s Dance Vacations”. Now I know nothing about this group, but can’t see there is going to be a 1,000 or so people with this group. But hey, I have been wrong before:rolleyes: (lol).

Have a great day,

John

Another thing HAL does for Alaska cruises, not sure if all cruises, but they hold the balcony cabins for cruisetour guests. Maybe what you are seeing is a release of those cabins now that sailing time is closer, trying to fill the ship.

They are all in trouble right now but a lot of it is Public Relations not to advertise it.

We just returned from a 10 night spring break cruise, FLL to Central America on MSC. I had read on these boards that people on the 2 cruises before that were offered $259. to stay on board for the next 10 nights!

Sure enough, 2 nights before the end of the cruise a note was slipped under the door.

$259. to STAY ON FOR THE NEXT 10 NIGHTS ! The unbelieveable part was the itinary would be different, a caribbean route. If I did not have to get back to work I would have gladly paid the fight penalty and stayed on.

We JUST booked a June, Alaska cruise on the Amterdam. A veranda suite guarantee for $900.pp. There is no way I could have found that price last year. It was a choice between that cruise and a Princess one that has their mini suites for $640. guarantee.

We choose the Holland because it goes out of Seattle instead of Whittier.

The big cruise bargains are NOW !

One word. Groups.

When all the cabins sell at the last minute, where previously there were tons open ... that means a large group was offered a "deal." When a ship has a lot of cabins empty, and is at risk of sailing that way, I think HAL contacts their big travel agents in the "seniors" type areas and offers them blocks of cabins really cheap. The travel agents then start contacting their regular clients ... "hey, how'd you like to go to the Panama Canal in three weeks for this really great rate?" ... and wala ... the cabins get warm bodies placed into them. Of course, these people have to be willing to take what's left, but in some cases that could mean a nice variety of cabins.

In some cases, if the cruise line is really desperate, they even throw in some added bennies ... like free motor coach transportation to the pier from points in Florida not really close to Fort Lauderdale.

That exact thing happened on one of my cruises to the Panama Canal. Those folks sailed with like two weeks notice and HAL bussed them to and from their Leisuretown development to Fort Lauderdale ... something like a four-hour trip. The travel agent got a rush batch of nice tee-shirts printed up ... and we had this group of like 200 of these people walking around the ship. I asked one of them about their tee-shirt, and that's when he told me how they came to be on the cruise. He said that got an amazing deal on it too.

No cruise line wants to sail with empty cabins, and they will do anything at all to fill them. Even if they make nothing on the cabin at all, they still have onboard revenue coming in, and that's something.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Hi all, thanks for the guesses.

Rita, it didn't happen like you describe. Like someone else mentioned, most of the cabins on the websites I watch including HAL disappeared all at once. HAL showed them as all closed for a long time. I can't imagine their doing that if they didn't have commitments for the cabins. Other sailings coming up soon still have cabins available and have not closed up like this one did. Yesterday morning, it was still all closed up. Then by evening, all those cabins show available on HAL and my internet TA's site. The only thing I could think of was a large group cancelled.

Anyway, maybe there will be room for a good upgrade now. Thanks again!

I think it is somewhat like Rita described, and ilovhywd said.... When it gets under two months like that - and it's the first Alaska sailing for the Westerdam, they needed help selling cabins. They disappeared from online booking - probably because they made an 'exclusive' deal with a travel agency or a large online cruise agency. The deal probably being that only they try and sell the rest of the cabins (besides the penthouse)...and what they can't sell gets released back to the cruiseline 16 days out (or whatever it is). Then HAL will try to do their last minute sales (I think it's easier for them than travel agents...paperwork and all). Plus HAL would need to start figuring out the guarantees..

I doubt it would be a large 'group' that cancelled... Even at under 2 months out when the cabins disappeared there would have been hefty cancellation fees. I could see it being a loosely knit senior group that was offered the cabins last minute though - and what is now available is what didn't sell...not what was cancelled. Most organized group cruises are planned months, if not a year in advance.

KeysRes,

Thanks for the indepth explanation. I think I understand now. My apologies to Rita for not understanding her explanation.

I did talk to my TA just a bit ago and she said it "could" have been a group cancellation as she doesn't see a ship be closed up then open up again like that very often. But HAL will not tell them anything. She also said it would cost a lot to upsell to a higher category at this time. So, we will just wait it out to see what we get. Thanks and look forward to meeting you on the ship! SM

I think it is what we have experienced in the past - all cabins are withdrawn from inventory as the guarantees are assigned. Once that is done, the remaining available cabins are once again released for purchase. Given how close you are to the sailing date, my money would be on that scenario.

Try this theory on for size:

It could be one available cabin in the VA category that causes all categories below that to show as open, and now there is more flexibility for the line to book. It would work in a domino fashion.

If someone wanted a "I" category (for example), one cabin in every category from "I" on up to "VA" gets upgraded. At that point, there's nothing available, so all categories close with the one booking.

I think it is what we have experienced in the past - all cabins are withdrawn from inventory as the guarantees are assigned. Once that is done, the remaining available cabins are once again released for purchase. Given how close you are to the sailing date, my money would be on that scenario.

We have an inside guarantee and we don't have a cabin assignment yet. Not as of this morning anyway. Like others have said and my TA said when I talked to her this morning, that is probably a good thing at this point. Could mean a good upgrade but we'll see. SM

Try this theory on for size:

It could be one available cabin in the VA category that causes all categories below that to show as open, and now there is more flexibility for the line to book. It would work in a domino fashion.

If someone wanted a "I" category (for example), one cabin in every category from "I" on up to "VA" gets upgraded. At that point, there's nothing available, so all categories close with the one booking.

Wow Ruth, that would be some way of doing it. Do they actually do that or are you just "thinking out loud" so to speak? SM

I'm just speculating. But it couldn't be hard for a computer to track this, and offer the one cabin as a choice, then close out sales when that one is sold. Then the upward shuffle starts.

OK, I’m just not getting this whole “pulled the inventory off the self” concept.

Let’s start with maybe something everyone can agree on, that is all cruise lines what to sell every cabin on the ship for any given “open” cruise, right?

So then, why would that cruise line months in advance say “let’s not let any of the thousands of TA’s or us sell any inside or ocean view cabin”. Instead, let’s give all those cabins to one specific TA or group to sell exclusively. And if they don’t sell them all, no harm no foul. We will take them back last minute and sell them for pennies on the dollar.

Sorry, just makes no sense to me at all. Totally defeats the concept of selling out a cruise.

John

Where on the HAL site can I find how "sold out" my cruise is? I understand that y'all can't post a website that gives this info, but is there a phrase I should be googling??

Go to the HAL site and log in. Do a cruise search and plug in your cruise destination, month, ship and port. Click on the date of your cruise then go to "proceed to booking" and all the cabins will be listed. They will eiher show available or closed. SM

Just go to through the HAL site like you want to make a online booking and then you will see choices like this:

12-DAY MEDITERRANEAN EMPIRES

OSDM.jpgShip: ms Oosterdam

Ports of Call: Venice, Italy; Split, Croatia; Piraeus, Greece; Istanbul, Turkey; Mykonos, Greece; Kusadasi (Ephesus) Turkey; Santorini, Greece; Katakolon, Greece

Departure Port: Venice, Italy

Departure Dates: Aug 23, 2009

Inside * Call us for availability & price

OceanView *Call us for availability & price

Verandah * from $2,239.00 per person

Suite * from $3,699.00 per person

If you want to google other online agencies then type "online cruise agencies" or anything like that;)

Hi Rita,

I thought “group” too at first, but only can find one group on our itinerary and that is called “Let’s Dance Vacations”. Now I know nothing about this group, but can’t see there is going to be a 1,000 or so people with this group. But hey, I have been wrong before:rolleyes: (lol).

Have a great day,

John

Okay, there are groups and then there are groups. What you are talking about is like an affinity group ... people of like mind who sail together in order to engage in a common interest ... this dance thing, maybe a scrapbooking cruise, a fan club cruise (like that soap opera thing Carnival does or the Battlestar Galactica fan cruise I was on last September). With those kinds of groups, there are special activities -- lectures, classes, etc. -- that group members get to attend. Maybe they all have a cocktail party that the cruise line throws in as one of their group bennies.

But then there's another kind of group. In many cases, the people may not even know each other. It is merely a group of cabins that one or even more travel agents book into for special rates. There are no special activities onboard, etc. ... often not even a cocktail party. The group "bennie" is the great last minute rate they all got on their cabins and that's it. That's pretty much what these last minute groups are. They are just a bunch of clients of one or a few large travel agents who book into the cruise because it's offered at a great rate. They may only know a few of the others in the group. They may know no one in the group. They just get their cabins at the group's rate.

You won't find those sorts of groups listed on the internet ... because they are not really groups, per se.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I too am on the May 10th Westerdam sailing. About a week ago, our travel agent called and offered us an upgrade from a deluxe verandah to a superior suite for $150 per person. SInce we're traveling with a 4 and a 7 year old, I called and asked if it was $150/ per adult or $150 x 4. It was the latter. Still a good deal, but I wasn't taking since my kids could really care less where they sleep and we're going to Beaches Negril in november sp $600 wasn't worth it for a little extra space. I'm sure this offer of an upgrade has something to do with all these rooms being "released"!!!!

Archived