Driving from Ontario, Canada or Western NY to New Jersey in January

Skeetercat

I wasn't sure where to post this, so I thought I would try this more general area.

We are considering cruising out of NJ next January and I hope someone can give me some feedback on driving through NY, PA, NJ in January. Has anyone done the trek from Ontario, Canada or even Buffalo, NY into the NJ area in the month of January?? I expect that the weather may play a factor, but overall how was the drive?? I am anticipating it will take approx. 10 hours total and that we would be driving through NY State, PA and New Jersey. Anyone drive in bad, winter weather?? What was the condition of the roads??

Thanks.

Buffalo to Atlantic City (not sure where in NJ you'll be sailing from) is about 7.5 hours in clear, dry weather with light traffic around metropolitan areas. Weather will definitely be your biggest factor. You'll probably take the Thruway (I-90) across NY, to at least Syracuse, then I-81S to the Penn Turnpike, then I-76E into NJ. I've gone from Buffalo to Syracuse in 2.5 hours (I speed a little) in dry weather, and 10 hours in a snow storm. The Thruway is not fun in a snowstorm - especially if it's windy, and it's even worse at night. When it's really bad, the State Police close it down, and you're stuck in whatever town you're closest too - I've spent a couple of unexpected nights at the Henrietta Holiday Inn! If I was planning this trip - I would plan on leaving the day before at the latest.

I would assume your cruising out of north jersey....so the directions Wayward gave are close.

The exception would be that you would take the PA Turnpike all the way until it crosses into NJ and becomes the NJ turnpike, then you'll want to go north.

I can do Philly to Buffalo in about 7 hours when the roads are clear, however, admittedly...I am a little heavy on the pedal.

Driving from Toronto to NJ in the winter can be very difficult if the roads are slippery or the winds are high. Probably you will take the Thruway to US 81S - 380 east in PA. which cuts off some mileage into US 80 E which will take you fairly close to your port. The rest is not in my mind at this hour.

Having been born and raised in NYC and moved to Toronto, family affairs made this drive necessary at all times of the year. I always figure a minimum of two days but almost always did it in one with stops for a stretch and meals.

The only certain thing that I can tell you is that there are stretches of highway where there are many twists and steep hills. One must be prepared for anything. Keep your gas tank filled. This is beautiful country. Enjoy it.

Fran

I agree with Franau's assesment. We live in the Philly area and grew up in the NY metro area while my grandparents lived in upstate NY. You definatly want to take I-80 in PA, not the Turnpike. The Turnpike goes too far south to where you will be going in NJ (Port Elizibeth / Port "Liberty") plus the turnpike has high tolls and there are none on I-80 (yet).

You giggest challenge is the weather. I have found that NY State does a great job keeping the roads clear when it snows, PENDOT, no so much. They have yet to learn to put the plow on the road here in PA. Last winter I-80 and I-78 were closed several times due to poor response to the weather by PENDOT. Do yourself a favor and leave an extra day.

Given the possible conditions on N Y Thruway and the lax clearing of I-78 and I-80 in PA, you want to allow two days driving time - plus a possible day for closed roads for a January sailing -- that means if you ship sails Sunday, you want to get to theport area by Saturday - meaning you should start driving Thursday AM at the latest. Of course, you might hit the January thaw and be able to do it in 10 hours total - giving you two full days to hang around in glamourous Hoboken- but if bad weather did hit, you would not want to be at somemotel in central PA as the ship sailed.

Personnally, I prefer to take the overnight Greyhound bus (from Montreal, QC) instead of driving. It doesn't cost that much (about 140U$ return), I avoid the stress of driving long hours and the traffic in NY and I avoid the parking cost (which is about 140$ for a 7-night cruise).

The odds in January doing this drive are that you will have to deal at some point with snow. The real question is how much snow and more important, at least in NYS how much wind. If you are use to winter driving than snow will only slow you down, but not cause major problems. Wind is an entirely different thing and can bring your drive to a stop until the wind stops and the road are cleared which doesn't always happen quickly. Makes no different what someone elses experience has been in the past as it only matters what the weather conditions are on the day you are driving.

Plan to drive down 24 hours earlier than you would in spring, summer, and fall and you should be fine. If you can give yourself the option of leaving 24 hours before that IF weather forcast aren't looking good you will have covered all the bases you can cover.

Map out a few round about routes just in case you need them and plan on enjoying your cruise. :)

I would look at the costs of flying compared to the costs of driving at that time of year. Porter Airlines, from Toronto Island, flies into Newark now, and it's only a 90 minute flight. There's lots of other options from Pearson as well. It would have to be a huge savings to make me want to deal with that drive in winter, and I drive for a living.

Archived