Swine Flu Pandemic

WineDown17

They say special flus (not the ordinary type), such as SARS, bird flu, swine flu kill by causing the human's own immune system to over-react, resulting in pneumonia type swelling and "drowning" of the lungs. So it is the healthiest younger adults with the strongest immune system (and therefore reaction) that die! Read up on the subject.

First of all, SARS is NOT a type of flu. It is a respiratory illness. Bird flu did not kill by causing the human immune system to overreact, that's the Spanish flu on the early 1900's ONLY and there is no way to confirm even that, because of written records in those days. To compare this day and ages medical advances to those times is naive, at best.

And as to reading any link to Wikipedia, I would suggest much better research. Wiki can be written by anyone and can be edited by anyone who feels like it. That alone makes it an extremely unreliable, and in most cases, wrong source.

I understand, and agree, that this is something to watch. However, the media is blowing this completely out of proportion. I urge you to please read everything the CDC has to say on this virus. It is responding very, very well to Tamiflu. That, alone, should let everyone know that this strain is quite mild. Some type A strains don't even respond well to Tamiflu. The Mexican deaths have only been a small fraction of the number of cases. The figures are much less than the average, everyday flu strains we get during the winter.

As I stated in another post, just use normal precautions, and be aware. This flu has shown no sign of being a real danger to anyone. The number of confirmed deaths are less than 6% of the total number of cases. That's VERY small numbers when speaking of an illness that has this many people up in arms over it. The media gets paid to sensationalize everything and, unfortunately, most people have had fear bred into them for so long, that the media is controlling everything. Please research and know that this flu is not a real threat at this time, and is responding VERY well to viral medications.

ALL US cases are either fully recovered or are fully recovering in every way.

SARS stands for: Severe Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome.

My DH became ill with the flu...that led to pneunomia...then respiratory failure. Thus, he was a ventilator for a month. He had an extremely high white blood count, and they could not detect which bacteria was raging through his system. The CDC was involved, and subsequently one of many antibiotics did work. They then "officially" diagnosed him with SARS (because all the data matched the criteria).

The problem is virus' mutate and can become even more serious.

Everybody talks about washing hands and what not, but virus' are airborne so if somebody sneezes and you are in the area, you will be exposed.

Plus they are now saying the virus can live up to 72 hours, so if you enter a cruise ship touch a door knob and then scratch your nose, guess what you are exposed.

The same thing about airlines who are in reality very filthy, and do not clean or disinfect between flights.

It is a personal decision, but I do have young grandchildren and do want to take the risk of spreading illness to them that may have been caused by me traveling.

There are too many wonderful places I can visit in the U.S. for now.

A 6% mortality rate is much higher than I would like to see....So that statistic is not reassurring to me personally.

However it IS resonding so far to antivirals.. which IS good news.

I called X today and they assured me, when pressed, that the clinic onboard would have Relenza/Tamiflu should it be needed. I was VERY specific about this.. So that was a good sign.

And of course they talked about all the other measures as well.. but those wont do a lot of good if folks dont heed them, or dont know they are ill....

Stocked up today on Lysol wipes....

If I stayed home, and got the flu at work, I would not be happy!!

Again, it tis my children I worry about most.. but maybe keeping them OUT of school is a better situation anyway...

I am glad the media is so focused on this- the more people know.. and as a byproduct if they can hopefully change bad habits (coughing, handwashing etc) that can only be a GOOD thing.

This flu has shown no sign of being a real danger to anyone. .

Are you a doctor? On what authority are you saying this? Many people would rather be safe than sorry. In these difficult times, why not spend their money on safer destinations like Alaska or Scandinavia than the epicentre of a new found disease, the nature of which is still not well understood?

The WHO (not wikipedia) has upgraded their level for swine flu from 3 to 4 (communicable among humans). The CDC and State Department have advised people not to take non-essential trips to Mexico. Presumably these official bodies know what they are saying.

------------------------------

copied and pasted from cdc.gov below:

Travel is a big concern right now. President Obama is urging Americans to avoid travel to Mexico. This comes as two deaths in California are investigated for ties to swine flu.

On Fox News this afternoon, the head of the CDC said the flu shot everyone should have gotten this past October/November has absolutely no guards against this strain of flu. So even if you had the vaccination, you're not protected against this one.

Are you a doctor? On what authority are you saying this? Many people would rather be safe than sorry. In these difficult times, why not spend their money on safer destinations like Alaska or Scandinavia than the epicentre of a new found disease, the nature of which is still not well understood?

The WHO (not wikipedia) has upgraded their level for swine flu from 3 to 4 (communicable among humans). The CDC and State Department have advised people not to take non-essential trips to Mexico. Presumably these official bodies know what they are saying.

------------------------------

copied and pasted from cdc.gov below:

Travel is a big concern right now. President Obama is urging Americans to avoid travel to Mexico. This comes as two deaths in California are investigated for ties to swine flu.

One of the deaths in California have already been shown to NOT be swine flu and they are NOW saying that most likely the other one isn't either.

And the authority that I say those things with would lie in my ability to do some simple (and complex) mathematics. However, it doesn't take a genuis to figure out that 36,000 people die EVERY year in the US alone from typical flu strains, and you rarely, if ever, hear a word about it. When we top those numbers, then maybe, I'll be worried. Again, this is NOT a big deal. The media is paid to sensationalize everything.

And as for WHO, they also said bird flu was the next worldwide epidemic. And the CDC made this mistake with swine flu in 1976. So...again, until legitimate numbers begin coming in, I'll not be led around with fear. There's more people in your local McDonald's than have contracted this virus in the US, which is responding very well to anti-virals, by the way.

Keep in mind that the CDC MUST walk a fine line. If they say it's nothing and one person in the US dies, they're up a creek. If they say it's huge and lock your doors, and then nothing happens, they look like idiots. (they've already been there) They've said both and are playing with words so they don't have to be either of those two scenarios.

I'm not saying don't use common sense, but surely we all do that every day, correct?

On Fox News this afternoon, the head of the CDC said the flu shot everyone should have gotten this past October/November has absolutely no guards against this strain of flu. So even if you had the vaccination, you're not protected against this one.

Even if you had the shot, you're not protected from ANY flu. That shot is only good for a maximum of four months.

Type A-C flu strains mutate a little every year. You never get the same shot twice.

All kidding aside, I believe that it will become a significant problem. It appears that those who are cruising during this time would be well advised to follow the same precautions for prevention of the norovirus. Additionally, you may wish to pack some surgical gloves and masks.

1. A noted physician on CNN Anderson Cooper last night said that though he doesn't see any reason for panic, that this flu strain does seem to be a little bit different; that it could ultimately be a widespread phenomena.

2. A BBC Reports website where people can leave comments, video, etc. has several entries from physicians in Mexico who have said variations of the following: there have been many more deaths in Mexico than officially reported; the outbreak has been going on longer than officially recognized; and that Mexico has inferior epidemological info systems compared to US/other places and that is part of the problem (slow recognition and response).

3. Lastly, there are some indications that the majority of deaths may be among the more rural dwellers. While rural dwellers can be expected to have less access to modern medicine it is also true that in certain regions of Mexico it is not uncommon to rely on folk remedies, witch doctors (belief in evil spirits causing illness), and such. These factors all could allow flu cases to progress to the point of death.

I don't think we need to envision Stephen King's "The Stand", but should follow the hygiene precautions, just like we should every cold and flu season. But unfortunately someone sneezing and coughing next to you on plane or elevator could wipe out your efforts.

Those of us who were around for the last great swine flu scare in 1976 should remember what a fiasco our health system's rush to panic and action turned out to be. If you weren't around, or don't remember, just google "swine flu 1976" and read a few of the articles there. Pick any source you trust because they're all talking about it.

Exactly one person died of swine flu in the US that year - the first soldier who was diagnosed at Fort Dix. Tragically hundreds died or were gravely impaired by reactions to the vaccine that was supposed to save us. I was one of those people who went from perfect health to months of misery as a result of my swine flu shot. (In fact, I've never taken another flu shot in my life - even though I've reached an age where I definitely should. I know it isn't rational. However, I also know that the vaccines are changed every year to try to anticipate the strain that will raise its head that winter. I just can't get past my fear that this year's "potion" might put me back where I was then.)

Yes, this strain of flu appears to be highly communicable - but so is the common cold! I'm not sure that such statistics will ever be available, but I would lay very good odds on one thing - by the time this scare is over, fewer people will have been hospitalized or died as the result of swine flu than die in a similar period each year as a result of complications (such a pneumonia) from a common cold.

I also strongly suspect that, when this is all over, the greatest damage will have been economic as the already struggling travel and tourism industry takes another body blow. To get some idea of the impact, take a look at what's happened to airline stocks in the past two days. Their decline yesterday dragged down the entire market.

I'm not trying to make light of anyone's concern. No one can control what kinds of things are frightening to what kinds of people. But, if you're willing to take the time and effort to do some research that goes beyond today's scaremongering headlines, you may reach a more comfortable position on the question. That's what I've done, and I'm going to take my usual reasonable precautions and keep right on going. Maybe I'll get enough extra space on my trans-Atlantic flight in June to actually lay down and go to sleep! Maybe I'll be able to change my dinner sitting on my cruise to the one I really want!

On a much less flippant note, I'm going to be heartbroken if we allow ourselves to be stampeded into a panic that causes much more devastating damage to an already teetering economy than any perceived public health threat.

It is everyone's absolute right to choose how they want to react - and there's no reason to criticize anyone's choices. However, I hope that we'll all do enough "homework" to make that choice a truly informed one.

(Sorry to rattle on so long, but this issue's potential full impact deserves more attention than the sensational headlines we're hearing right now.)

D.

Lots of great informtion posted here but if I may add one more about the 1918/19 Flu:

http://www.iptv.org/IowaPathways/mypath.cfm?ounid=ob_000279

700 soldiers died at Camp Dodge here in Des Moines that winter.

I personally believe that the quick detection and containment in '76 probably prevented an outbreak. Swine Flu is nothing to be taken lightly.

I believe this outbreak will also be contained quickly. Nothing to be scared of, no reason to stay in the house, but precautions need to be taken nontheless. I applaud everyone from the WHO to individuals that have acted swiftly to prevent this potential public health threat.

I envy those of you who are able to stay healthy by simply washing your own hands. I really WISH I didn't live with someone who doesn't hesitate to eat food off the floor of the mall, or lick shopping cart handles. Kind of makes hand washing seem futile, doesn't it?

Lots of great informtion posted here but if I may add one more about the 1918/19 Flu:

http://www.iptv.org/IowaPathways/mypath.cfm?ounid=ob_000279

700 soldiers died at Camp Dodge here in Des Moines that winter.

I personally believe that the quick detection and containment in '76 probably prevented an outbreak. Swine Flu is nothing to be taken lightly.

I believe this outbreak will also be contained quickly. Nothing to be scared of, no reason to stay in the house, but precautions need to be taken nontheless. I applaud everyone from the WHO to individuals that have acted swiftly to prevent this potential public health threat.

I envy those of you who are able to stay healthy by simply washing your own hands. I really WISH I didn't live with someone who doesn't hesitate to eat food off the floor of the mall, or lick shopping cart handles. Kind of makes hand washing seem futile, doesn't it?

There is the 5 second rule.

. I was one of those people who went from perfect health to months of misery as a result of my swine flu shot.
Did you get your bad reaction due to allergy to the egg white substrate in the shot, or the supposedly killed virus in the shot?

A23 month old in Texas is reported as having died frfom the SF..

My heart breaks for that family..

And yes.. my 2YO has been known the lick the shopping cart too.. Ugh.

They also have everal suspected cases in CT now.. so my 12YO could just as easily catch it at school...and bring it home. What a horrible connundrum!

One week until sailing..

I am not a statistician and would be interested to hear from someone who is.

What are the chances I will be in an auto accident?

Especially if the driver is younger than 18?

What are the chances I will be struck by lightning?

What are the chances I will win over $1000 in a state lottery?

What are the chances I will get food poisoning in a fast food restaurant?

What are the chances I will get swine flu if I continue to cruise?

Hmmmm?

Please don't flame, I really am curious -- and planning to cruise on the Mercury on May 11 from Los angeles to Vancouver. I don't plan to cancel.

Archived