Island Princess Panama 4/13/09----Adventures in Paradise Part 1

EdSails

We just got back from our Island Princess Partial Transit 4/13-4/23/09. Overall, we had a great time. Lots of observations, as well as a few comparisons with our last cruise 10/08 on RCCL’s Vision of the Seas. So here goes!

Embarkation was a breeze. Caught a taxi to the Port and got there in less than 10 minutes. Another 10 minutes to go through Princess’ check in and we were on our way to the Horizon Buffet around noontime. I did feel that both embarkation and debarkation were much better than RCCL. The food in the Horizon was OK----nothing spectacular. Decent variety but no standouts.

On we went to our cabin We had booked an inside cabin guarantee CAT N both for price but also because DW likes rooms pitch dark. We didn’t get an assignment until two days before we boarded. We were visited by the upgrade fairy however and received a CAT HH obstructed view cabin. Nice upgrade! The view was not too obstructed with the end of a tender off to the right. Beautiful ocean view out the center. Happy happy joy joy!

2136456036_CabinViewIP.jpg.b500b6c43d75b773f3afded9aabcbba2.jpg

The layout in general was much better than the cabin on VOS. Unfortunately, the gap at the bottom of the door was big enough to slip a tray under. We got used to putting a pool towel down there every night. I felt the shower was very roomy.

Because we had gotten our cabin so late, we couldn’t tell many on our roll call where we were. It seems no one else wanted to get together for an informal greeting, since no one else had posted cabin #’s or contact info. We were able to contact one couple from CC and met with them several times for meals and cocktails. Arlene and Marvin, you both are great! We had a lot of fun with you and look forward to cruising with you again.

We had requested a table for six, late traditional dining. The first night, we met our dining companions. One couple had come with a large group from Trinidad. Nice people, but you could tell that they had wanted to be seated with the rest of their group and had wound up separated. The second night they were moved to sit with the rest of the group and seemed much happier. We had several nice conversations with them after they moved. Our other dining companions were incredible----the best match we could have ever wanted. We knew we were in trouble when both men ordered the same dishes and the women did too! They were a lovely, fun and interesting couple. It wound up that our table was only for the 4 of us and it was perfect.

Foodwise, we had a lot of hits and misses. For breakfast, we ate primarily in the MDR. I had a one-track mind-----smoked salmon and bagel with a half grapefruit. Excellent! The only deviation was the morning they had a fig compote on the menu too. I wish it had been on the menu every morning. It was yummy! The few mornings we ate in the Horizon, the food was passable. Smoked salmon once there and didn’t see it the other mornings. I had the corned beef hash once and it was OK. Nothing else to rave about.

Upon embarkation, I had contacted the Maitre'D about the possibility of a Chef's Table. Sadly, he said not yet.

I thought the lunches were a big hit. I ate most meals in the MDR and they were awesome, IMHO even better than the dinners. Standouts included the Lentil and Eggplant Samosas, the Osso Bucco and the Roast Leg of Lamb. The only miss there was the Rueben Sandwich. Pretty tasteless, not on rye and not grilled. The Pub lunch was served in the Bayou Café instead of the Wheelhouse. The fish and chips were phenomenal! Plus, the side dish of “mushy peas” was something I had never tried and which I loved. I went back for the second day they had it and tried the Cottage Pie. Good, but I still had to finish it off with an order of fish and chips.

Dinners were the big variable. The seafood appetizer on the last night with avocado, crab and lobster claw (that’s craw, not craw……) was one of the best appetizer I’ve ever had. I thought the rack of lamb was superb, the vegetable pate excellent and the smoked Barbarie Duck appetizer delicious. I enjoyed the lobster and shrimp plate. Sure, it’s no longer a huge tail-----but it was still enough, especially with a second one brought to me. The crème brulees in general were excellent, the sorbets delicious and the fruit and cheese plates very good.

Dining misses were the NY strip and the Beef Wellington. The Wellington especially was tough. I know I’d read about the beef here but hey, I guess you have to try it for yourself. My barramundi was also overcooked the first night. The Alaska King crab was also a disappointment---small (I think it was probably closer to snow crab) and definitely had that frozen defrosted taste. Crab is one of my favorites so for me to only have one order was sad!

This brings me to one of my pet peeves. The seafood cioppino had noting to do with cioppino. It was some seafood scattered over rice with a single crawfish. DW was so disappointed she sent it back after a few tastes. Please, Princess-----don’t call a dish something other than it is! I’ve had many excellent cioppinos and they have always had a tomato based broth. This had no broth and no tomatoes. Finally, There were no escargot. I had tried to remember to ask about it but never did. It finally came up as part of our final dinner conversation. Our waiter never mentioned it so we never knew if they had it. Reading in CC, I see that they should have mentioned it.

This brings me to one other area where we were disappointed. By the second night on VOS, we felt we had really bonded with our wait staff. We were called by name, they remembered our likes/dislikes and went out of their way to do special things for us. On IP, we felt that they were good------but very businesslike. No connection with them until maybe a day or so before the end of the cruise. I know it’s a lot personality, but we felt that the connection was not there. Indeed, we felt that the whole staff on the ship had a different feel from the VOS.

Princess does get a big pat on the back for the pizza and burgers. I thought the Princess burger with bacon and swiss the the Grill was delicious as was the sauerkraut dog. The Pizza was tasty and had an excellent crust.

We enjoyed the Lotus Pool very much. It was quiet for the most part and a great place to read, watch the ocean, Jacuzzi and relax. I didn’t see see any adults only signs up. There were a few times it got noisy, especially with 3 year olds wearing water wings jumping in the pool.

DW used the Sanctuary’s Spa Sampler package one day and felt it was one of the best times she had on board. She especially loved the “hot beds” and has told me that’s what I need to do on the next cruise!

I’m going to cut this off here-------part two will consist of tour excursions, entertainment and a wrapup of our feelings about the trip in general.

[quote name=EdSails;19270841. Foodwise' date=' we had a lot of hits and misses. For breakfast, we ate primarily in the MDR. I had a one-track mind-----smoked salmon and bagel with a half grapefruit. Excellent! The only deviation was the morning they had a fig compote on the menu too. I wish it had been on the menu every morning. It was yummy! The few mornings we ate in the Horizon, the food was passable. Smoked salmon once there and didn’t see it the other mornings. I had the corned beef hash once and it was OK. Nothing else to rave about.

[/quote]

great review so far ... we were on the Island end of March.

my dh loves smoked salmon with cream cheese, onion on a bagel and when he didn't see smoked salmon in the Horizon Court, he asked about it. They went and came back with smoked salmon for him w/i 2 minutes. So, he got it every morning ;)

Thanks for the review. I agree with you in the rack of lamb...very good.

In general, the lamb seemed to be the best "meat of choice" on the ship. Even the lamb curry for lunch one day was excellent.

EdSails - Thanks for the great review! So sorry that we missed seeing each other on board. I did go by your cabin a couple of times to see if you were there on sea days. Time just got away too quickly and I never got back.

I was pretty sure we saw Marvin & Arlene the day we were in Ocho Rios. They were in the jacuzzi on the top deck. However, I wasn't sure so I went to the Internet Cafe and looked at their picture on their posts on our roll call and I think it was actually them. Of course, it figures I never saw them again on the ship to stop them and say hello!!! Sorry we missed them too!

I guess we "missed the boat" by not having an actual get together planned on board. Hope you had all the "bubbly" you wanted!

I think I will post this on our roll call in case Arlene & Marvin are still checking in there.

EdSails - Thanks for the great review! So sorry that we missed seeing each other on board. I did go by your cabin a couple of times to see if you were there on sea days. Time just got away too quickly and I never got back.

I was pretty sure we saw Marvin & Arlene the day we were in Ocho Rios. They were in the jacuzzi on the top deck. However, I wasn't sure so I went to the Internet Cafe and looked at their picture on their posts on our roll call and I think it was actually them. Of course, it figures I never saw them again on the ship to stop them and say hello!!! Sorry we missed them too!

I guess we "missed the boat" by not having an actual get together planned on board. Hope you had all the "bubbly" you wanted!

I think I will post this on our roll call in case Arlene & Marvin are still checking in there.

I'm sorry you didn't leave a message------we would have enjoyed meeting you. Glad to hear you had a good time though. Would have been fun to meet someone else from the LB/OC area!

I'm sorry too for not leaving a message, it is definitely our loss! We were with other friends and never quite sure what the day was going to bring for sure. Yes, it would have been nice to meet you from our local area. Seems like most everyone we ran into were from Florida. It's hard to believe it's all over, now to plan the next cruise!!!

Ed_Sails....I agree about the personality making the difference. We were on the same cruise and had Anytime Dining initially. Obviously, you don't get a chance to bond with the wait staff in that environment. Luckily, we had an opportunity to switch to Traditional Late on the 5th day of the cruise. I was surprised at how much more I preferred the Traditional experience and we loved the wait staff. I had a 3 year old that came to dinner on random nights and he became the hit of our section, both with the wait staff and our surrounding tablemates. I'm definitely sticking with traditional in the future and can only hope our wait staff are as enjoyable as Albert and Diana!

Archived