Amtrak from Seattle to Vancouver

The Pearl does dock at Canada Place, the reference to west is just that it will likely dock on the west side of the terminal. Amtrak comes into the Pacific Central Station which is about 3 miles east of CP. Your options are a cab which will cost you about $15 or SkyTrain. SkyTrain is our ELS system and the Main St. station for it is right across the street from the train station, it will take you to Waterfront station which is about 100 paces east of CP. It works well if you can handle your own luggage and the cost is a mere $2.50 (CDN) pp.:)

Skytrain is not an option I would consider with baggage and we can usually handle our luggage for a cruise. 100 yds across major street up elevator to platform... getting off at Canada place you would be dragging your stuff a lot further once again from below the Dock to Cruise departure level through varius passageways in a round about way.

But PD is sure bang on about the cost difference.

& it is an option :)

We use a taxi from the front of the Train depot and it takes but minutes to go up main street and around under Canada Place along the waterfront.

Frankly have never used transit a lot....but lots of people do and it does work extremely well in the Vancouver area. Whenever I get on a bus I have to ask how much the fare is, tell the operator where I need to go, ask if I am on the right bus and sit in the front so that he/she can tell me when to get off. :o

Does PD work for the Public Transit system in the Vancouver area perchance ;)?

I think the work that he does these days is with his Putter & his Puter. He loves giving all options on local transportation .....but I was pretty sure he never would do/had done most of them and now I see I was correct :p

Well if I didn't have a disabled wife and had a single suitcase or even two that I could stack, I probably would do SkyTrain from Main St. station to Waterfront station as do a lot of people.

I guess I should have added that for many years I did take SeaBus into the city on Friday and then afterwork caught SkyTrain from Granville station to Patterson station where DW would meet me with our car and we would head for our weekend home on Lummi Island. The whole proceedure worked extremely well (if you don't mind all those other people rideing along with you).:D

Thanks! This is exactly what I was looking for. Would 5 women with 2 suitcases each be Ok with the Sky Train? Do the regular passengers have an issue with tourists filling the cars with luggage? :)

You will be travelling in an off peak hour so no, there would be no problem...you might get a few stares if it were rush hour. There are areas in the cars where there are no seats which is ideal for pax with luggage. Lets see 5 women, ten suitcases....sound like a party to me....does the cruise line know you are coming?;)

Just as side bar, your fare needs to be paid in CDN funds, if you don't have any, as you approach the Main St. Station you will see a branch of the VanCity credit union so you may want to nip in there and get a few CDN dollars or you can pay the fare with a CC or debit card.

Thanks! This is exactly what I was looking for. Would 5 women with 2 suitcases each be Ok with the Sky Train? Do the regular passengers have an issue with tourists filling the cars with luggage? :)

Nope don't think so. You would appear awfully close to a section in our mental health act :eek: What about their carry ons and purses etc. ...??? !!!!

(Now take a cab to sky train and get non existent porters at Canada Place Sky train exit and it might be OK.)

Seriously consider a cab. :) all the way...

Skytrain is not an option I would consider with baggage and we can usually handle our luggage for a cruise. 100 yds across major street up elevator to platform... getting off at Canada place you would be dragging your stuff a lot further once again from below the Dock to Cruise departure level through varius passageways in a round about way.

Exit Pacific Station; Walk 100 yards east (not crossing street) to the major intersection ahead and slightly to your left.

Go up escalator to Skytrain platform, buy ticket, board any westbound "to waterfront" train.

Four stops later get off at Waterfront Station, follow signs to "Canada Place"; one short escalator, turn right, 2nd slightly longer escalator, and you're looking at the back-end of your cruise ship.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=100934763039761071004.000467645fcda21dd87b2&ll=49.282812,-123.098974&spn=0.03253,0.090981&z=14

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I think it is an option for us to do in Sept when we get off Cascades and go to the Fairmont,and a good one too!!! Thank PD you are everywhere as is GT.LOL

Big help to us tourists.... AND you can always take one bag at a time up the escalator and have one of your party sit by bags at the top.............I'm thinking with these explicit directions even I can do this;)....MANY Thanks!!!! Capecoddah...

I think it is an option for us to do in Sept when we get off Cascades and go to the Fairmont,and a good one too!!! Thank PD you are everywhere as is GT.LOL

Big help to us tourists.... AND you can always take one bag at a time up the escalator and have one of your party sit by bags at the top.............I'm thinking with these explicit directions even I can do this;)....MANY Thanks!!!! Capecoddah...

All the stations have Elevators and escalators. To get to the elevator for Skytrain, you need to cross the road right in front of Pacific (Amtrak) Station

map: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=100934763039761071004.000467645fcda21dd87b2&ll=49.274273,-123.092108&spn=0.016968,0.04549&z=15

You can pay for your Skytrain ride with a credit card, but a lot of US cards now charge and international "Transaction Fee". Alternately, downstairs from the Skytrain station, is the head office of a large credit union who do currency exchange.

For those who have taken Amtrak (the train, not the shuttle) before, what is the key differences between the regular seats and the business seats? The website isn't very helpful. Thanks!

There is no Business Class on that leg of the trip.

PD is correct regardless of what the website tells you. For the time being anyways. They took the cars off before last season for repairs and they have not returned. Whether that is because of repairs or something else no one is too sure.

I just PAID for Business Class although we have not traveled yet :( Here on the east coast Business Class seats are a little roomier, there is an electrical outlet at every seat and you are offered complimentary beverages (non-alcoholic only) and newspapers. It's usually a little quieter than the regular cars. I usually book Business Class if I expect to need a heating pad...........I sure hope they're back by August!

Barbara

I just PAID for Business Class although we have not traveled yet :( Here on the east coast Business Class seats are a little roomier, there is an electrical outlet at every seat and you are offered complimentary beverages (non-alcoholic only) and newspapers. It's usually a little quieter than the regular cars. I usually book Business Class if I expect to need a heating pad...........I sure hope they're back by August!

Barbara

I know that they will allow you to PAY for them but they will issue you a refund soon. :)

I booked a bussiness class seat too. Hmmmmm What is going thru customs like on the train?? Never done before, do you keep your luggage with you??? Do you need canadian money on board? I know it might be a silly question? Sorry. :rolleyes:

North bound you are checked at the Station in Vancouver. Our checked bags were located outside the baggage car on the ground along side the train and we went through Customs etc. just inside the station. We were business class at that time and we got off first. I expect now everyone is just 1st come. Most people do not have baggage.

South bound The train stops at or near the border and US authorities come aboard. I have no experience with this and wonder about the baggage also ?? now that I think about it. :)

We are booked with pre-purchased tickets for the Northbound from Seattle to Vancouver for the cruise out of Vancouver the 19th.

We fly into Seattle the 17th and spend a day, there then get the train north the 18th and spend a day in Vancouver.

So I just wanted to know the info you answered, I could not piccture them at the border doing a stop and check of customs.....so thanks for the reply........

I booked ahead as it is the Cascasdes Anniversary and wanted to be sure to have seats...........

I am so excited about this cruise and since I do the booking and planning of transfers etc . I love to know ahead of time what we will be doing..Can you say Type A???? So you have been a real big help in that..Nikki

• 3 weeks later...
want a easy walk from the Fairmont Waterfront to Canada Place the nite before the cruise

This walk couldn't be any easier, they're across the street from each other.

............................so looking for a nice place to have dinner with a pretty water view??? Many thanks.

Lots of restaurants fit the bill but Aqua Riva is next door to your hotel. If you're willing to take a cab, the options open right up. As downtown Vancouver is a peninsula, there are a ton of places with a pretty ocean view. Also, the "Transcontinental" in Waterfront Station (1 block east) has received good reviews, although I don't know what the view is like. Steamworks pub is also waterfront, and has good grub...

Archived