Spirit or Celebration

Ive done the Destiny a couple of time and indeed doing it again july 2009.

Fancy doing Greek Islands 2010.

Cannot choose between Spirit or Celebration.

Recommendations and reasons why gladly appreciated

Thanks in advance

Colin:D

Ive done the Destiny a couple of time and indeed doing it again july 2009.

Fancy doing Greek Islands 2010.

Cannot choose between Spirit or Celebration.

Recommendations and reasons why gladly appreciated

Thanks in advance

Colin:D

Spirit for me everytime, because, errrr, they let you pick your own food in the Lido restaurant instead of serving it to you. ;) I know, I know, its not the best of reasons but there you go.

However, if you are going to go AI, the Celebration has the better selection of available drinks. For instance Baileys and Southern Comfort are included on the Celebration but not on the Spirit.

Both are great ships and I am sure you will enjoy either of them.

Hi Cymro 1953.

1st impression of the cabin down in decks 3/4. Oh my god. cant swing a cat. But once you pack all your cloths away and get rid of the cases you can get used to it and even better when you fall into it at 2am and back out again at 9am it was something you could quite easily get used too. The stewart kept the room clean and tidy. The chocs on the pillow did the trick. Take a night light its pitch black down there. There was my wife and me and my 10 year old. So at 6pm when we were getting ready for dinner it was very cosy indeed. The shower is very small. Curtain kept sticking to my bum but I got used to that. Complared to the RCI ships the Thomson ships are very tiny but I think the crew and passengers are more friendly than the bigger ships. But alas my love affair with the Destiny has to end. 2 weeks last year back to back and 2 weeks this year back to back means that I have been to all her scheduled Med Stop Overs.

Good Luck:D

Hmmm... the inclusion of these two on the A.I. could very well be the deal-clincher for my friend and my husband for next year!!!

We are looking at the Greek itineraries, prefer Ottoman Treasures and Aegean Discovery on Celebration.

Carol x

Ha Ha!!

No I just said we liked the Spirit but hadn't been on Celebration, and if possible to try and get a table in the dining room with Elvis as the waiter!!!

Don't know why that should have been pulled!

Ann

I remember it Ann, Nothing wrong with that is there? Dosen't nake any sense

Berwyn

• 2 months later...

WE doing Spirit this year for first time ( not 1st cruise haha 1st time this ship) only got a standard outside cabin -- are they ok?? worried cos everyone seems to go on about this ship vibrating loads! is this true!! . any one been on her , ??? we doing jewels of med this Oct 9th . any one else going ??

The vibration is no greater than on Celebration and I reckon it might even be less!

On my last cruise it was mentioned that a expert was on board looking at the 'problem' with the intention of reducing it as much as possible. However it is a complex mixture of harmonics and words I don't understand so any progress will be gradual.

In any case you don't really notice after a day or so and the effect is most noticable in horizons bar at the top of the ship.

When we were on Celebration in May this year the vibration did seem to be significantly less than on previous trips. Don't know when you heard that news about the expert, Dave, but perhaps they've already tried something.

I think it was second hand from a passenger so might be total twaddle however there did seem to be less vibration than Celebration. Maybe we were travelling at a lower speed?

One area where I think Celebration is better is the Lido buffet. Although the ships are sisters there are some as built differences which IMO favour Celebration.

On Celebration there is no inside Lido bar and the space is dedicated to tables which means the two severies perpendicular to the main one are wider and longer with more 2 seat tables. This allows for more choice in salads etc and an extensive dessert line where Spirit would have the drinks dispensers. There is also a ice cream bar and outside a deli counter in addition to the burgers etc. A more extensive choice of teas on Celebration but the same brown fluid for coffee!

On Celebration the main hot items are served to you although this makes little difference as there are tongs for other items and you never know what other people have left behind on the tongs handle!.

More choice on the Celebration buffet line (a space issue?) including kippers for breakfast.

Spirits Compass Rose restaurant was excellent so I must be brave and try the Meridian on Celebration.

My single cabin on Spirit was on deck 3 right aft which is a quieter location than deck 2 on the Celebration and had twin beds although they were measuring up for fitting a double and more drawer storage when Spirit goes for her winter rest.

The crews were both having a good time with Celebrations Filipino waiters etc marginally out ahead but both excellent.

• 2 weeks later...

I have just come back today from Greek Island cruise on Celebration. Vibration quite bad on upper decks.....cabins much nicer than Destiny which we did last year. Both ships are great but think Celebration wins on cabins and Destiny on food and entertainment. We all loved Dave Beattie the senoir entertainment host...he is pure class and so funny. Kane is fantastic the ships cruise director also. We couldn't land in Santorini which was disappointing due to high winds. Overall...we love the Thomson cruise ships and their excellent staff. Very clean and people very friendly. :)

Archived